First Time (growing legal that is)!

Couple quickies to upload while prepping a bowl!

The first Asian version (that I know of anyway!) of the BOG Sour Strawberry seed increase project seems to be moving forward!
@Mithridate

The recent dusting of the Black Domina seems to have taken, as has that of the autoflowers!

The old Ghost Dawg clones from last run are starting to really catch my eye!

Carl’s Shoes has decided to become a player!

And the Durban Poison clone, while small, looks like it may give me a little taste!

Okay, bowl’s ready! :crazy_face: Have a great day!

:call_me_hand:

10 Likes

Everything looks to be in great shape, not bad for a first grow :wink:

Haa, haa, haa! It’s all in what you point the camera at! And what you don’t! :rofl:

4 Likes

Called in the crop dusters! Sulfured everybody down after adding chopped up banana peels to my LS mix for the earthworms to chow down on…fruit flies had their own ideas!

A few glamour shots

These two mantis species crossed paths on a stem. I seem to have an abundance of mantis here and they are most welcome to hang out!

Anybody recognize this guy?

And some baby pics

Lost a couple seedlings to what I imagine is botrytis. Seems to hit the stem just below ground level. Have switched the cups all over to the Ebb & Flow table w/bottom watering…but it’s a challenge to make sure they don’t over-dry out!

Hit the BOG Sour Strawberry female with pollen again yesterday and considering doing the same to another female starting today. Took a few more clones from lower branches to save the trimmers some work. Okay, time to get back to work! Have a great day!

7 Likes

Great !
I believe that is a species of ‘big eyed bud’…they are great PREDATORS and will surely help with aphid, thrip, mites…I would encourage their presence !!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=big+eyed+bug&cvid=a591755b6bf44da6bb05ab7d46ef3c18&aqs=edge.0.0l9.5046j0j1&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=EDGEDSE

When seedlings quickly collapse at or just below the soil line, they are ‘damping off’ (which is a collective term for many pathogenic fungi.) I believe Pythium species are major players but you can see by this Wikipedia link, there are a whole slew that can cause the same symptoms…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_off

2 Likes

It’s always cool to have mantises in your garden. You can tell, by the way they watch us, they’re actually quite intelligent. It seems like once they figure out you don’t want to hurt them, that they’re almost friendly.
Dude, it’s pretty amazing you can get any BLD to grow without losing it all to bud rot. The humidity there is insane. A lot of us in dryer climates have to use a greenhouse to keep water IN, while you’ve got to have one to keep water OUT.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob @BudBusterPro ! I had a feeling they were predators and have just been leaving them alone, glad to confirm it! Greatly appreciate all you do around here! By the way, I owe you a long DM on the Hypoclorious Acid!

2 Likes

@Herrsquidward Yeah, it’s a blessing having them around. Not only are they eating tons of pests but they are very entertaining! I grow tens of thousands of ‘other’ plants in my nursery and am used to seeing them fairly regularly, but I have not seen this many in 20 years! My old netted grow rack on my porch seems to draw them like a magnet. As big as they get they still manage to get ‘inside’ no matter what I do to seal it!

Yes, humidity is one of the extremes we battle over here…with 2 annual monsoons…then there’s the hot/dry season (coming up in Mar/April)! Just about the time we get the auto-timers set right, the weather changes again! :rofl:

4 Likes

LOL, that was quite the ordeal, you have the patience of a Saint!

Or the curse of a Devil! :rofl:

1 Like

Well, a buddy just stopped by to share a little stash with me! With decrim comes new marketing techniques!

Pretty sure it’s the same old Laos weed Thailanders have been calling Thai weed for decades now, just re-packaged for internet marketing. On the upside, no moldy smell, very little lumber and thus far…no seeds. I’m not about to stop growing, but for $150/kilo I won’t be too worried if I run out of my own stash! :rofl: Same thing (without the fancy presentation) was about $500 not that long ago!

12 Likes

That’s awesome @Tlander ! Our bricks never had cool imprints, just tons of seed, lumber, shot gun pellets, big bugs, ect! Looks pretty sweet. Have fun smoking it!1​:grin::v::canada:

3 Likes

Wow, never actually seen brick weed before… excellent prices, but that definitely doesn’t look like something I’d want to smoke so much as a very used doormat. :stuck_out_tongue: Kinda funny seeing logos pop up on the actual bricks though, guess a guy’s gotta advertise!

2 Likes

Yobro, yeah I hadn’t seen anything with this quality of detail to it…the Stars are ‘sharp-edged’! I want to know the production details! Inquiring minds & all! :rofl:

Every once in a second Blue Moon you could get really lucky and get a kilo off of ‘The first boat to cross the Mekong for the season’ (or so the story went!) that was magical weed, very similar to the old Thai stick Hang Garoke (Squirrel Tail) landrace…and probably likely grown by the same tribe of people, just now across the other side of the Mekong river. But for the most part it was usually old, stale, molded and stored under horrid conditions in the wet, deep elephant grass beside the river in woven rice sacks! This stuff is at least very fresh and 100% mold free!

I burned about 4-5 of my little black bamboo 1-hitter’s to try it out…not ‘special’ enough to hold my attention when I have loads of strains yet to test of my own! If it was seeded I’d probably end up trying more of it while searching for beans to send out to OG’ers to play with, but haven’t seen a single one! Sorry guys! :sob:

5 Likes

If you dare (I know SE Asia has some pretty nasty creepy-crawlies), leave a light on all night. It’ll draw bugs to feed the mantises. We do that here in the Deep South of the USA and some mighty interesting things come to the light. Nowhere near as many as you’d get in the jungle, but cool nonetheless.
I endured one monsoon season in Asia (Korea). Damn. We got at least one (often many) torrential downpours every day for about 3 months. It reminded me of the Amazon Basin during their monsoon. Another thing about Korea is the summers are unbearably hot and humid but the winters are unbelievably cold. I did a 3-week rotation to the Philippines during the dry season, thankfully.

2 Likes

Haa, haa, haa! I ran 4 banks of flouro’s on a 5 shelf rack 2mx2mx50cm 24/7 on my porch for the last 6 months! Finally got tired of raising and lowering the big screen every time I wanted to do anything so moved the whole rack minus netting into my drying tent! Yeah, and I got the pictures! But the number and diversity of mantis species was just amazing!

2 Likes

Be extra careful about the foot-long centipedes that will put you in the hospital. Of course, the most dangerous of all the bugs there (statistically speaking) is mosquitoes. I’ve had malaria and it sucked. Scorpions are what freaks me out worse than anything, and you have 18 species of them there. Then there are the cobras, kraits, etc. Be careful.

2 Likes

Had to chop another male today…

:joy:

Enjoy your weekend everybody!

8 Likes

Getting two birds stoned at once! Awesome!:joy:
When I raised meat birds and I use to give them the left over water from making bubble hash every once and a while. I’m not sure if it got them high or not though. They continued to act like stupid chickens…:grin:

7 Likes

Well, we’re not quite getting stoned from the fried chicken yet, but they do do a good job of getting rid of the males pretty fast! I was laughing at my foreman’s prize fighting cock…he’s inside a 1 meter movable netted dome (That’s him just to the right of the word ‘kill’)…after I tossed the male into the chicken pen I saw him stick his head into the netting, then raise himself up and push the whole dome closer to the plant! He did it 3-4 times in a row. Smarter than I had given him credit for being!

5 Likes