Foliar spray...?

I have a bottle of what the nutrient manufacturer recommends as a foliar spray. It’s a blend of minerals but the bottle says it’s 0.6% potash and 0.4% humic acid. I’m keen to experiment with foliar sprays so was wondering what others experience has been like and what they used? I’m ready to introduce CO2 enrichment aswell so I’m concerned RH will go up too much with foliar spraying aswell. It is currently between 30 - 60% and I can’t vent fresh air in more than a couple of times in dark hours as it’s still too cold here outside. Cheers

1 Like

Only time I foliar feed is if there is a problem with the plants such as a calcium problem as it seems to be faster acting than adding calmag into the feeding schedule.

4 Likes

I suggest foliar spraying right after lights out, and no more than three weeks into flower. Otherwise, it can be a great way to add supplements to an already healthy grow.

6 Likes

Thanks @Esrgood4u and @ReikoX
I’ll introduce co2 enrichment and keep foliar in mind if any deficiencies symptoms arise. This stuff can be mixed in 10ml to 10 litres so I’ll add to reservoir as apparently it doesn’t raise the EC level. It also says it encourages transpiration as I think co2 does so should be a learning curve anyway. Thanks again, it’s good to be able to have others experience for help, sometimes I’m not sure if all these additives and techniques are proven or just another way for businesses to sell more of their crap. Cheers

3 Likes

Foliar feeding is mid-high level growing. Not recommended unless required. Only really needed for plants without a full root system, imo. I foliar spray a little kelp on the babies and that’s it.

5 Likes

I generally agree with @Scissor-Hanz
I primarily foliar feed in order to rapidly correct any perceived deficiencie(s).
IMO, it is the quickest way to green your plants up.
I grow only in soil-less mix in containers.
I foliar feed when called for, indoors and outdoors.

3 Likes

Worked up a brew of kelp, neem leaf, and LAB. About a 1/4 tsp of yucca powder and
a drop of dish soap added for surfacant. The kelp and neem were strained
off before adding to spray bottle. Added about an ounce and mixed with 500ml water.

After spray down (top and bottom) and run through a dark cycle, they had residue
spots on the leaves. Just a shiny (and possibly sticky) shape of whatever drop
dried on the leaves. Is my mix too strong? In past harvests have looked at the
leaves and seen a coloration along the center veins of leaves that collects.

2 Likes

So when using clones and minimal veg time, say 1-2 weeks from taking clones so a sea of green type of cycle, you’d recommend foliar spray @Scissor-Hanz and @ReikoX? Would you prepare additives rich in potassium and/or potash or nitrogen to spray or stick with a mix to aid nutrient uptake like fulvic? Or can you mix them up when spraying? As @ReikoX said not past week 3 flower but I imagine a healthy root structure would be present by then. I’m definitely keen to explore this further on a future grow. Power ain’t cheap where I’m from so any reduction in kw/h is a saving that would be noticed, if veg time could be cut by more than half using this method. Thanks again.

1 Like

Gday @Calyxander I was wondering what mix you use when feeding using a foliar? Nutrients or stuff to aid in uptake or a blend of both. I’m keen to explore it further in a future grow. Cheers

Hi @ozzie. I use a well balanced water soluble fertilizer. I have also used Epsom salt.
Make sure to spray under the leaves as well as tops of leaves.
I do not foliar feed flowering plants.
Best of luck!

2 Likes

As an update, today they got a SNS 209 and OHN treatment without
the biologics of kelp and neem, etc. a bit more soap than needed so
cut with more water until foam volume when shaken was satisfactory.

The secret is SURFACANT so the solution doesn’t bead up and run
off, but soaks and coats surface evenly. Just before light out soaked
the entire lineup, and after their 8 hour nap they didn’t have spots, and
were nice dry leaves ready for the day cycle again…

Veg should be sprayed down a couple times, but put it off as PITA

1 Like

I also recommend a foliar spray when using clones. I used to spray with pH adjusted R.O. mineral water (15ppm). The last few months I’ve been using the same water, but adding 35 ml per gallon (label instructions) of Ful-Power and 5 ml per gallon of Clean Kelp. The cuttings have responded positively to this spray. I do it 2X per day approximately 12 hours apart. I stop as soon as I put them in my Veg area. BTW, my seedlings like it too.

1 Like

When I updated tonight, while editing photo, notice that there is still a bit of spotting
on the lower leaves of one plant. Looked the rest over and they all are fine and clear.
(Hexagons are indication of where the plant was topped, spots are in center of plant)

2 Likes