Forum technical question - How to follow / watch Friends?

There is not but it’s not really needed as you can simply go to the persons profile and click on activity. Then you will see every post they make. While not a push notification, it’s the same result.

2 Likes

methinks the name “Foreigner Tracker” might be leaning a tad too political :laughing:

1 Like

Don’t think i Don’t see you using me as an example @DougDawson

2 Likes

You can’t track me I’m everywhere.

2 Likes

At least it’s as a good example, lol.

1 Like

Does this mean I lead by example? I will take it to mean that.

1 Like

@Foreigner is always reliable for setting a good example.

“See that guy? Good example of what not to do!”

3 Likes

“Pay attention to that guy, son.”

2 Likes

See, I need notifications of this in real time. What if I missed this!?
Screenshot_20240526-190714

5 Likes

Is true you could have missed it and had a giant hole in your life.

5 Likes

Or blown out my blow hole.

Unacceptable. I need to be able to curate my friends list to keep track of if anyone I like is blowing or not

3 Likes

I will try to keep my blowhole commentary to a minimum but I make no promises.

3 Likes

Sir I believe you are looking for OverBlow, this is OverGrow

:lips: :no_mouth:

6 Likes

Hey guys, as fun as this is, let’s perhaps move this banter to the chat thread as it’s filling up a thread that’s about forum technical questions. :v:

4 Likes

I probably started it. Both the thread and the banter.

I didn’t want to be missing a setting or feature I wasn’t aware of. I’ll make a habit of putting threads I like on watch.

2 Likes

All good @AppalachianBiscuits , no harm done. Sometimes folks just get to chatting and not thinking about what thread they are in, I am guilty of it myself. Just human nature really.

3 Likes

Human nature indeed. Did you see the game last night?

2 Likes

neither of these ideas will do what op wants done. both of them involve a huge amount of work to do manually what one button and a little code in the forum can take care of automatically. it boosts user engagement along with helping us follow users who constantly drop those little tidbits op mentioned earlier. you could write a script that does the same thing yourself with a push notification locally if there was an api to interact with since all the advice given so far as a work around really doesn’t work around the issue.

so now the question is, is there an api we can use to interact with the forum @moderators? that gives a chance at a work around that would actually be useful until such time as the function can be added. point me to the api and i’ll have a look at writing that script. that is well within my level of capabilities.

yes there is an api for discourse, and it looks like in version 3.1 they added a feature that is close to the friends button, not quite though. i may work on this today with larry’s help.

3 Likes

@AppalachianBiscuits i got larry to write a script that does what you want with a browser extension and a couple of api calls to the forum. i haven’t tested it yet but if you want to play with it i’ll pm you a link to the chat with the code.

2 Likes

If you mute someone how is it I still get their announcements?