Freaker’s Ball Preservation Project 2021: Arakku Valley

I have been doing a lot of reading due to the co-op confusion. I think I had this mixed up with it. This is a group of folks that are just growing to preserve landrace/heritage strains, right. They find people to do the grow from these special seeds right?
I hope I have this right and wishing the best to you with this special grow. :+1:
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

8 Likes

Yes sir pretty much . But @Guitarzan can explain it better

5 Likes

I don’t think your temperature is that far off from what it should be. And if it was too high the seeds would be dead, not germinated…
I have to think that in a tropical climate soil temperatures near the surface would probably get well over a hundred degrees on a hot day. But I think generally their seeds are germinating during the rainy season, when it’s a bit cooler. One thing you’ll have to look out for with temperatures that high is the root dying from rot. Rot can take hold very quick in those temperatures, and you’ll have to watch the moisture content of your paper towels very closely… if it’s too wet, it will first turn the tip of the root yellow, and then the rest of the root, and if you squish it at that point and smell your finger it’s pretty gross. That’s why I would recommend planting them once they pop open… but regardless of what I think use your own judgment. You know better than I do how the seeds are fairing . As long as the root tails continue to grow, the temperature is fine . Did you wash the seeds with hydrogen peroxide? If you did, there is far less risk of that rot happening.
5 out of 10 is about what you would expect to get from landrace seeds. After about 10 days, if filing the edges of the seeds haven’t worked, go ahead and crack them by hand.

4 Likes

We are all working together to preserve these strains and spread as many of them as we can around Overgrow. We are in a Race Against Time. Landraces are rapidly disappearing in nearly every country on Earth. I am hopeful that this new landrace movement will continue to pick up speed, and that landraces will become more popular.
Heirlooms are in just as much, if not more Danger. Especially in the United States, old things are not valued like in other countries. Where I live a beautiful Old Barn just got torn down so a Dollar General can be built. Many people feel the same way about the old varieties.
If they are not new, they are not worth growing.
We are throwing away our heritage.

14 Likes

I moved everything that has popped to soil today just for precaution, I did rinse with hp , 1 part hp to 10 parts water . It’s the small dinky av seeds that haven’t done anything. I still have more in the vile you sent me to try when my seed mat gets here , saturday is what shipping is showing .

3 Likes

I would cry to see that barn torn done. A Dollar store, now that is a slap in our faces. Everything else you stated is so true and such a shame. :persevere: :persevere: :persevere:

7 Likes

Nah. @Upstate explains it much better than I do. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

6 Likes

Between you two I got it! Thank You.
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

You know, I do have one big problem with the Freaker’s Ball.

It’s a total sausage fest.

Just sayin’ :wink:

9 Likes

Not familiar with the phrase? :blush: :seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

sausage fest is a phrase meaning in this instance that the Freakers Ball is all full of all men at the moment.

7 Likes

@Guitarzan :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

What he’s trying to say is that there are men and there are “alternative men”. Not what you think. Those folks are freaky.

Blessings…

:cowboy_hat_face::chile:

4 Likes

I think my arakku valley grow diary somehow took a turn to the south lol

12 Likes

Absolutely! Let’s get back to the arakku. The Freakers Ball is a superspreader event anyway.:crazy_face::rofl::joy:

:cowboy_hat_face::chile:

7 Likes

Sorry man, my bad. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lol you’re fine , I just thought it was funny @Guitarzan

7 Likes

It’s quite probable that the small seeds are from wild/ feral plants. They are extra difficult to germinate.

2 Likes

Howdy y’all! Newbie here following diaries, what’s this landrace thing your talking about that’s going extinct? An ancient rare tropical strain I’m guessing? And that is what @Donnie is growing now correct?

4 Likes

Same here!

3 Likes