Free Non-Cannabis Seeds Give Away Thread

Give away any seeds here that are aren’t cannabis.
Seeds of plants that can serve as cover crops, companion plants, vegetables, fruit, herbs, whatever!

To kick this thread off I’m giving away wild Yarrow seeds I’m currently gathering, they are abundant all along my walking route.

Have a walk around your neighbourhood, most of them finished blooming now and the seeds are ripe! They’re easy to spot. On average they’re about waist high where I’m at.

Now why would you want yarrow?
Well, there’s many reasons!

Image result for yarrow

“Wild yarrow typically has white or rarely pink flowers, but cultivated yarrow can have yellow, orange, pink or red flowers. Yarrow stems are grooved and have small wooly hairs. Yarrow smells distinctly of fresh pine needles — crushing the flowers or leaves gently in your hands will intensify the scent.”

The pine scent might indicate high pinene terpene content.
Yarrow is edible / smokable (flowers and leaves) so it’s likely to enhance the cannabis experience.

Not only does it encourage essential oil production in plants it’s planted next to, it has a whole range of benefits.

“Pinene has many potential benefits. It can act as an anti-inflammatory, promotes pain relief and relaxation, aids in memory and respiratory function, and may reduce the spread of bacteria and viruses. Besides, another great benefit is the excellent taste that adds to different cultivars.”

Agriculture

A. millefolium can be planted to combat soil erosion due to the plant’s resistance to drought. Before the arrival of monocultures of ryegrass, both grass and pasture contained A. millefolium at a density of about 0.3 kg/ha.[citation needed] One factor for its use in grass mixtures was its deep roots, with leaves rich in minerals, minimizing mineral deficiencies in ruminant feed. It was introduced into New Zealand as a drought-tolerant pasture.[3]

Food

Yarrow leaves have a delicate grassy flavour, with a slight aniseed taste. This makes them useful for brewing as a tea.[45] They are abundant in grassland and so can easily be foraged; the leaves are useful in salad, chopped in cooking as a herb, and steeped in hot water for a tea."

Traditional medicine

See also: List of plants in The English Physitian

A. millefolium was used as in traditional medicine, possibly due to its astringent effects.[2] Yarrow and its North American varieties were traditionally used by many Native American nations.[48]

The Navajo historically considered it a “life medicine” and chewed the plant for toothaches and used its infusions for earaches.
The Miwok in California used the plant as an analgesic and head cold remedy.[48]
Native American nations used the plant for healing cuts and abrasions, for relief of ear-aches, and throat infections, and for an eye-wash.[49]
Common yarrow was used by Plains indigenous peoples to reduce pain or fever and aid sleep.[48]

If you’d meet an E.T. what’s the first thing you’d say or do?
Best answer gets a pack of yarrow seeds.

21 Likes

Cool idea. Just popping in to mention that I think yarrow looks a lot like hogweed which is supposedly pretty dangerous to mess with. So be careful about identification if anyone wants to find some wild, or sees a similar plant in their yard.

I’m googling about it now. Sound like only “giant hogweed” is the dangerous one, and its pretty rare.

6 Likes

"Yarrow leaves are long and narrow, like a feather.

Plants like wild carrot (Daucus carota), sweet fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), and poison hemlock (Conium maculatum) have fern-like leaves, but they have a broad, triangular outline."

3 Likes

This thread is awesome!!

I know what I would say
ezgif.com-gif-maker

5 Likes

So, do you guys consider us food?

3 Likes

This is a thread I’ll now check regularly. Great idea :+1:

4 Likes

Anybody have carnivorous plant seeds to trade? I’ve gotta look at what I’ve got but I know there is some flower an vegetable seeds I’ve saved from past grows

3 Likes

Message me them deeties! :smile:

1 Like

I can trade some thyme and spring mix lettuce.

I am open to veggies and berries.

I don’t have space for much at the moment, but I am waiting to hear back from a community garden if I can get a plot. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

6 Likes

Me??? I’d say, “DUDE!!!” SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: NOTE: SUPER THREAD!!!

4 Likes

I’ll take some of them yarrow seeds. Do you know if it’s useful in fpj? (Fermented plant juice)

2 Likes

I can check what I have but I’d be willing to trade some pepper seeds, for other pepper or cactus seeds. If interested, please comment and tag me.

I have poblanno. Banana. Carolina reaper, yellow scotch bonnet, red habenero , chili’s, colored cayenne, … red yellow and orange bell. And regular jalapeños, also some orange jalapeños… edit I also have red sunflower seeds :sunflower:

7 Likes

I haz Garden Huckleberry aka: Solanum melanocerasum

10 Likes

@Rogue your letter has travelled across the world and landed in my mailbox today! :grinning::pray:

I don’t know what happened, but the yarrow seeds were nowhere to be found :cry: it’s all good though bro, it grows wild around here too. I’ll be sure to harvest some seed locally and grow it next year, especially with all the benefits you listed.

What I did find in the envelope was a fat and juicy flip of some Rogue Zero seeds! :star_struck:

Thank you very much Rogue :pray::grin:

2 Likes

I may or may not have been operating under nebulous conditions… :smile:

When harvesting/growing yarrow, make sure the leaves look thin like feathers, when they are wide like ferns it’s not yarrow!

3 Likes