Wild Dagga aka Leonotis Leonurus aka Lion's Tail . Cannabis Alternative

It’s a flower from the southern regions of Africa that is legal and the effects are described as similar to a light cannabis.

My jar is almost empty and my next harvest is still a while away, so I ordered some dried Leonotis from Zamnesia. I plan on eating about a gram a day or making tea with it. Doesn’t seem like it needs to be decarboxylated?

Should arrive next week, will report back about the effects.

Anyone tried it or have seeds?

A superstar bloomer throughout Summer and Fall, S. African native Lion’s Tail is HEAT and DROUGHT tolerant, exceptionally EASY , deer resistant and a sensational hummingbird magnet. Fast-growing , durable and evergreen (in mild Winters) with an attractive bushy base-branching habit, it’ll reach 4-6’ tall and wide in its first year! Unique and plentiful fuzzy tubular whorls of stacked tubular arching Lion’s Tails are beautifully displayed on a mass of stiff upright stems. And the handsome deep green lance shaped leaves add a lovely lush effect. Can bloom year-round along the California coast, though most folks cut it back to 1’ in late Fall for best appearance next season. Average, well-drained soil is fine. Bees, butterflies and fab cut flowers!

Source: Leonotis leonurus "Lion's Tail" - Buy Online at Annie's Annuals

Leonotis leonurus contains a chemical constituent leonurine that has been reported to be used in traditional medicine for curing a wide range of ailments including headaches, coughs, fever, asthma, haemorrhoids and dysentery.

Tincture available here: https://ladyoftheherbs.co.za/product/wild-dagga-tincture/

Description

A Blood Cleanser

The plant is used for ‘blood impurity’. It is used as a tonic for cleansing the body of tuberculosis, jaundice, muscular cramps, influenza, high blood pressure, diabetes, skin diseases, viral hepatitis, arthritis, piles, bladder and kidney disorder, obesity, cancer, rheumatism, dysentery and diarrhoea as well as bee and scorpion stings, and snakebite.

A Digestive Reliever

Wilde Dagga is used for digestive complaints including constipation, dysentery, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, vomiting, and fever. The plant also contains significant amounts of nutrients and minerals.

A Respiratory Protector

It is taken for coughs, colds, influenza, bronchitis, asthma and tuberculosis. The effects against respiratory infections are attributed to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, analgesic, antispasmodic and purifying blood tonic properties.

A Liver Restorer

Wilde Dagga has hepatoprotective properties, meaning that it helps to prevent damage to the liver and restore the liver membranes. It has also shown positive effects against viral hepatitis and jaundice.

A Pain Reliever

It shows strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities. Therefore, the plant can be used to relieve pain and tension in the body.

Properties and Actions

Analgesics, Anthelmintics, Antibacterial, Anticonvulsant, Antidiabetic, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-fungal, Antimicrobial, Antinociceptive, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic, Anthelmintic, Cholagogue, Cardiotonic (heart health), Diuretic, Emmenagogue, Hallucinogenic, Hypotensive (lower blood pressure,) Hypoglycemic, Purgative, Tonic, Vulnerary (heals wounds)

Be aware that there are different kinds of Leonotis, make sure you’re getting Leonotis Leonurus!

10 Likes

I grew some once, but didn’t know anything about it’s medicinal qualities.
Cool flowers for sure

2 Likes

I had no clue about this stuff and it’s medical values! And a hummingbird magnet too I love it! Now I want some! Thanks so much for sharing @Rogue :facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

I’ve smoked it and it’s mildly psychoactive but not like cannabis. Can’t say ive ever heard of eating it or anything tho :thinking:

6 Likes

Well it sounds like a real winner by your description. It seems like a lot of good health benefits 🤷🏻 might have to give it a shot

2 Likes

I took five grams of wild dagga extract several years ago in one shot. With booze it was mildly psychoactive, but that’s it. I’ve heard some people experience effects and some don’t.

4 Likes

Nice post, following the results.

3 Likes

I am also here out of curiosity.

2 Likes

Count me in

1 Like

I Ve ordered some seeds already

2 Likes

Woowhoo I am awaiting your smoke reports and review! And I will be getting seeds once I have funds available and I will be adding it’s subsequent harvest to my medicine cabinet:) I have hepatitis and my liver is borderline psurosis and I don’t have insurance and I can’t afford their 1000$ pills so I will definitely be watching intently thank you so much @rogue for your contribution to my health and wellbeing :slight_smile: much love and respect my friend PS oh and I’m out of likes! Again! Lol

2 Likes

Wow, what a find! Truly fascinating. This is a great plant to have in the garden with so many uses. Thank you so much for the contribution, @rogue. I’ll definitely try to get my hands on some seeds.

:prayer_beads: :om: :pray:

1 Like

To those interested in this plant-turning it into a extract is a great way to ingest it or to be used in ointments.
Simply follow the method used to make a wild lettuce extract.
This can now be stored in a small airtight container to be used orally //mixed into your favorite ointment//balm recipe.

1 Like

Cool, so a decoction, right? Just boil down with water slowly with crock pot thanks PS so I’m outta likes but thank you!

1 Like

Here’s another great one to check out

https://pza.sanbi.org/sceletium-tortuosum

1 Like

Ooh that’s cool it’s would make a badass ground cover/living mulch companion plant super cool @Skyf

1 Like

I received the dried flowers from Zamnesia today.

I ate half a teaspoon of Tatanka CBD and a whole teaspoon of Dagga and the first thing I noticed going for a walk was that things in the distance look sharper, as if my eye sight improved, colors also look slightly more vivid and beautiful, my mood is uplifted, I found myself smiling more.

There’s also a subtle pressure in my frontal cortex, the front half of my head and sides.
I don’t feel more energetic or more calm, but more… expansive and more joyful.
As if life is experienced in a slightly higher definition. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Wild speculation on my part but perhaps it stimulates connectivity in the brain in a similar way psilocybin does but in softer manner. I really like this as microdosing can be hard on the stomach and feels harsh sometimes.
The effect is subtle, but those who are sensitive will notice.

Heart area feels a bit stimulated too, not like from THC, it’s different…
There’s braincells in the heart too so I think it’s mainly influencing the nervoussystem.

Oh yeah, it tastes super bitter and strange!
I don’t care but most people will probably want to mix it with some food. :upside_down_face:

I’m not a fan of refining and processing herbs, there’s always some loss, just eat them,
let food be thy medicine!

Edit: it’s been a few hours now since ingesting and the effect is getting stronger. feeling it more in the heart area now and definitely feel very relaxed and in an altered state of consciousness.
Will probably eat only half a teaspoon tomorrow!

2 Likes

I concur sometimes I will go out and eat a dandelion like a carrot and mullen like a rabbit not even wash them off just dust off the dandy root eat some of the dirt it’s good for you it boosts the microbiome gives energy elevates mood boosts immune system overall body functions kills pain some even pass the blood brain barrier and tells us what food to eat by way of “cravings” and I speak from experience it’s not just hype it’s real plants mushrooms and the smallest of us the microbes are conscious and intelligent make decisions and if we listen will speak to us as well :slight_smile: great thread @rogue and I’m grateful for everyones input ! :slight_smile: Sorry I’m outta likes this is an amazing line of thought

3 Likes

I ll have seeds soon and plant It,maybe start a diary.Thanks a lot for the review

1 Like

For those who are into cannabis edibles, tinctures, oil, it might be interesting to add some dagga. :slight_smile:

1 Like