Free Seeds & Free Clones Thread Vol. 5 (Part 5)

The dark is a big factor though from what I understand, as in even the fridge light isn’t great to be hitting them regularly. @DougDawson has a really nice setup that didn’t break the bank. Plenty of room and great organization. I’m sure he’ll see the Doug signal and post up some info.

3 Likes

I have them in these, then wrapped in a bag, in the fridge.

This has seemed just fine for the time being, but wasn’t sure if that’s a decent way to store.

4 Likes

I use a fellow atmos vacuum black container kept in the fridge with some rice in the bottom. Cant beat cold, dark, dry, vacuum. Self seals, no pump needed.

Fellow Atmos Jar

3 Likes

Lots of mine are in the same thing…

2 Likes

If I had one, I’d be in it while I’m still young-ish :joy:

2 Likes

too late for me…I’m already past my ‘use by’ date… :sunglasses: :+1: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This is a good idea. I think even just dumping rice on them in something in the fridge would block some light, and help with the moisture.

Sigh… out of likes, or this would have gotten one, ha!

1 Like

I actually have had seeds I kept in a ziplock inside a ziplock, in the veggie drawer of the fridge with some rice mixed in. I germinated them almost 100% after over 10 yrs.

3 Likes

Got this fancy little case for my future ladies. I’m sure some of you guys could fill several of these easily, but it’s gonna take me a little time

Sunmall 30 Slot Diamond Painting Storage Case,Bead Storage Containers,Embroidery Storage Box,Art Craft Jewelry Rhinestones Organizer,Sewing Pills Container Holder (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYQQJZ7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_1CJKY9NT2PAC06NG8P4B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Have you had any experience shipping any from those? I’m not doing that now, but in the future when I am more established and have seeds to share, I worry, taking them from the cold, shipping, would get condensation on the way and could mold up, or just germinate on the way.

Ohhh you fancy huh?

adds one to cart

1 Like

I haven’t shipped many seed to anyone before coming back onto OG. But, I have given many to friends over the decades of that practice, with little to no effect in the germination rates.

I’ve basically kept any seeds I wanted, in the fridge for …oh, about 50+ yrs now… I usually don’t let them go much longer than 10 yrs at the most before they get popped though.

2 Likes

This is my setup. It holds 81 vials and each has a gasket to keep moisture out. They are actually designed for storage in a fridge. I use a bar fridge as it doesnt have a light in it.

c88a5880308104109a9b16912662a49455fdf977_2_375x500.jpeg

11 Likes

Ah that’s awesome. Now that we are talking about it, I have a wine fridge that has an optional light thats probably better than my plain old fridge, but I do like Nagels old lady bead storage with the black case.

Can toss in a humidity pack in the little basket too. If I can’t find a giant bingo board box, old lady bead storage it is :joy:

1 Like

That is too cool. Somehow I just always imagined a giant wooden trunk bursting with coin flips.

3 Likes

You can always put my fancy little case in the wine fridge you know lol I mean mine’s in my veggie drawer

Technically they are veggies. Or would the seeds be fruit . . .?

1 Like

I should go through my Box O rings and put some of them on the containers. Certainly looks like I can seal each of those containers up with the right size O ring

1 Like

Then why do they taste like the fruits of our labours?

1 Like