Freedom Grow! White Widow 3/4/20

Sup OG!?!
Welcome to my first grow. I’m calling it the Freedom grow. Freedom from plugs and high taxed legal cannabis. I have been lurking the forums for a while now and what a community you guys have here, it’s great to see.

I have wanted to grow for the last 2 years or so and just couldn’t pull the trigger. I knew the work it would be. I can’t do anything w/o being all in. Now I’m all fucking in. Let’s do this!

I purchased a grow kit from https://thebudgrower.com/advanced-indoor-grow-kit/
I know these kits can be a bit on the cheaper side of parts and the such but I liked the idea of one-stop shopping. So I pulled the trigger.
Purchased seeds from https://shop.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/collections/beginner/products/beginner-mixpack I’m going with White Widow fem first mostly because my bro is starting a grow also (another Newbie) and he popped the White Widow. So I figured I would also so we can compare notes.
The build-in: I have a 12’x12’ space for my room in the basement. I needed electric and water down there. The electrician took care of the electrician shit and I dropped in the PEX line with filter. I’m not the biggest handy guy out there. This felt good to get done on my own for under $100 ( not including Filter). The water is 45PPM and around 6.2 -6.5
All the parts in the Kit seemed to be of decent quality. I did tear the tent slightly in the corner. Fuck I was pissed! I was going slow purposely cause I knew this was a risk and it still happened. I patched it with some Tent material that came extra in the box and Duct tape. looks like I’ll be good for light leaks. One thing I’ve learned so far is shit is gonna happen, deal with it and move on. If I get deep into this I’ll use this tent for Veg.

The kit came with Rapid Rooters. Soaked the plugs and popped the seeds in and covered them with a bit of the rooter. The basement is on the chilly side rn so I put a heater there to bring the temp up slightly. The RH is really low for a basement, I’ll most likely have to run a humidifier in the room later in the grow. We will see what happens when all the shits on and in there.
I put a CFL 120W over the tray. Is this ok? do I even need it rn? How warm should it be for the germination process?

here’s my pot up plan rooters>1 gal pots>5gal cloth pots is that a good strategy? Or should I do rooter>16oz solo cup>5 gal cloth pots

Man, I’m super excited to get these girls going. Thanks for having me in this cool community.

Scooby needs a doobie
Peace out
Shaggy

20 Likes

Best of Luck…good plans for getting your feet wet. Persevere and you’ll be fine. If not, there are many people to help you along the way, Keep at it!!!

3 Likes

That’s a fair setup and you have there & some genetics to work with. That is a great start.
There are some real pros here you can draw knowledge from, you will fit right in.

I don’t have any experience with it but I have read the Fox Farms Ocean Forest (FFOF) is rather hot - so hot that planting seedlings directly in it might be risky. You might want to verify that as it is 2nd hand.

Cheers & Good Luck
G

4 Likes

This kit came with the fox farm potting soil and http://www.kindsoil.com/ which is a hot soil. No nutes needed just add water. I deff want to get it right. I still got some time to figure that out.

Oh Yeah, that Kindsoil is hot, just reading the list of ingredients made me a ‘little sweaty’.
Folks I know growing with FFOF use it in the bottom half of the pot and Fox Farm Happy Frog on the top.
With your re-potting plan I’d would use something mellow in the solo cup or 1G pot after that the 5G cloth pot can be hot - no problem.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I like to start out with seedlings or clones in a mix of 50/50 soil and perlite in cups till well rooted then up pot . A heating mat may be useful for germinating .

2 Likes

I just picked up a mat. I had been on the fence about getting one. Thanks.

2 Likes

Sup OG!
Back for an update. The basement was a bit cold so set up my new mat at 78F which helped immensely. on 3/8 I had 3 of 5 sprouted and today they were all up and doing well. nice Tap roots coming out the bottom (forgot to take a pic).

Set up the tent to get ready for the girls. This is the 2 light set up and then the one light for seedlings.
The lights are RoHS model 30-V600

I plan on potting up to 16oz solo cups probably tm or Wed.

question: I have read a bunch of things about FFOF and seedlings. Some people say its fine others cut it w/ happy frog or pro-mix. What’s the OG community think?

Peace out
Shaggy

4 Likes

Sup OG!?!
Finally have some time for an update.

3/10:
I potted up from the Rapid rooters to 16oz solo cups with a mix of FFOF and Happy Frog 50/50.
and watered with 6.6 pHs 85ppm sparingly. Set light to veg 37" above seedlings. It’s a bit cold in the grow space 61°F right now, so I put the warming matt set to 76°F under a drip tray to keep the temp up. The RH was low 35% also so I added a tray of water with a small fan blowing over it to help with humidity. Tent environment running at 73°F 52%RH.

This was taken today they seem to be doing well.

Peace Out
Shaggy

7 Likes

Nice setup @Shaggy.
It pays to do a little research on what you plan to do before you do it… well done!

White Widow is a fairly easy strain to grow and yields well with little effort. You’ll earn a bit of experience with this grow that will help with the next grow… and so on.
If you run into any problems, a clear pic of what you’re talking about will help other growers help you find the correct answer, faster. I can’t wait to watch these little plants grow up!

I would go crazy if I had 144 sq/ft to grow cannabis in… it would be completely full!

5 Likes

Thanks, @DesertGrown. Gonna take it one step at a time. If I enjoy this hobby I will defiantly go bigger. What really got me all pumped about growing was the idea of breeding strains, that to me is fucking cool. If I can get enough knowledge I would love to try that. let’s see if I don’t kill these first lol.

1 Like

Looking good shaggy! You’re off to a good start.

I go - rooter, 1g, 3G, then maybe 5g transplant schedule.

I don’t use FFOF but I have chosen promix as my go to because I’ve used it and know what it will/wont do.

I’m running a WW too :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hey Shaggy, I think you should delete your newbie tag, looks like you’ve planned all with every little detail and you have things under control. Let’s see how it goes but looks promising ATM … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

What’s up OG!?!

These young ladies are killing it. Just water, on a 20/4 light cycle. They all look healthy and happy.
Another week or two and pot uptime.

Peace Out
Shaggy

5 Likes

Looking great, they love that soil mix for sure :+1:

1 Like