Freeman’s Stash - KC Brains Cyber Crystal

Hello all! 2024 is here as we all know, I just wanted to pay homage to one of my inspirations. The story goes like this…

I was just a pre teen/teenager when I started to cultivate this special plant, after finding this wonderful space in the late 90s early 2000s! Bag seed from my older brothers brick stash was used for my first few rounds. Late 90s, 98-99ish. I was unable to finish anything due to my father finding my plants. I thought if they were mixed in with his others he would never know… :joy::ok_hand: Well needles to say, he found them. He thought they were my brothers since I was far too young :ok_hand::laughing:.

Fast forward about 5 years and my parents decided to separate. My mother and father both remarried years later. This is where it gets interesting. I was living with my father and would visit my mother occasionally. When I would see my mother, her apartment smelled of the dankest smoke I had ever smelled… Her now husband use to grow and his best friend still did. My mother in the beginning, only smoked his leaf!! It was that strong! My step father would smoke the buds.

Freeman - Freeman was an old school guy who at the time was living in Gainesville, Florida. He was wheelchair bound due to surgery’s gone wrong… He had a grow partner but I will exclude his name from this as he may still be around. Freeman has since passed away a few years ago unfortunately. I would visit with my mom and play on the computer, mostly full tilt poker and smoke freeman’s quality cannabis. He would often come over and gamble and smoke. After about a year or so of getting to know him, my mother mentioned to him that I started growing at a young age. I was getting genetics through Heavens Stairway and Dr.Chronic at the time. Back then we had to send money orders with an order sheet overseas, just to get our genetics.
Well, during one visit my mother told me that Freeman wanted to talk to me. We were all sitting around our computers playing poker and smoking, he says to me “Hey, so I hear you can get cannabis seeds”. My reply was of course I can! He told me that he would be willing to give me some money to get him some. I eagerly agreed! :+1: :pray:🫡
He told me that he has been growing one specific strain for many years and would like to replace his current mother as she is getting old.

During my next visit to my mother’s, Freeman came by. He handed me $300 and told me to keep what was left over. He stated that he was growing KC Brains from holland and that the name was Cyber Crystal. He wanted two packs to run, so he could hopefully identify a replacement for his current mother. I agreed I could get those particular genetics.

I went back home to my fathers a couple days later and printed out my order form, supplied the cash, and sent the order off. A few weeks later my package arrived! It was in a cd case with an actual cd, but the breeder packs were behind the case where the cd sat. (In the back of the case).

A few weeks later I return with the goods. I was so happy to help him find those I felt like a million bucks! At my age as well, the extra money really helped. I believe I paid around $60-$70 total and he had given me $300! I couldn’t help but feel like I got over on him but after I told him the cost of the seeds, he was happy with his purchase and refused to take any money back.

Well after about a year or two he has something come up and needs to leave Florida. He mentioned to my now step father that he had found a replacement for his mother but was unable to continue growing in the state. I am unsure of what happened to those genetics as he moved but his partner did not…

So with all that being said, I have for a long time wanted to find his prized winner! This stuff is hands down some of the best I’ve smoked in over 20+ years of growing/smoking. I would sweat and my armpits would smell of this strain if I smoked it for an extended period of time. Weird for sure, I wonder if anyone else has had this phenomenon happen…!?

These packs I’ve had for this particular run, and while I put it on the back burner for BOG I think the time is now. These packs have 5 beans in each. I will start all 10 looking for the best female in hopes to locate the winning pheno, which will then be reversed for seed collection.

So for this run, I will be running in a 2x4 bed in a 2x4 tent once i determine if the ladies are what I am looking for. I would like to spread these along in the community as well if all goes right! 🤌:crossed_fingers::pray:

I am currently awaiting some supplies for the beds(More pumice and peat). I am working on a co op with my brother in another state so bear with me please. I have finished building his 90gallons of soil and will start cooking mine within a week or two.

:green_heart::seedling::heart: RIP Freeman, this one is for you buddy!

34 Likes

That’s an awesome story,and to be able to pheno hunt for it! I’ll stick around! Fingers crossed you get the 1!

4 Likes

If the seeds are old, have you thought about doing an open pollination run and then look for that special female?

5 Likes

@Gadarien Thanks for the love man, it is indeed a special project! The terpine profile he had was unreal. I would love to pick his brain on his growing technique but from what I gather from my step father, he was under the impression Free was growing in rockwool with ebb and flow treys.

@Tejas hey bud! Welcome! I have thought about it. The genetics are still available so I am a bit hesitant to go that route. I would love more input from everyone and see if that’s what everyone would prefer. I am open to it! I may grab a couple more packs as well to try and really pinpoint this unicorn! Let me know your thoughts! :green_heart::seedling::pray:

6 Likes

Very cool! I love stories like this, I have a mentor who is basically solely responsible for where I’m at so I know the feeling well. Definitely worthy of preserving just for nostalgia sake if you ask me. Awesome

1 Like

Hey there! Thanks for stopping in @TopShelfTrees1 !!

I think it’s only right to track down the same path and find something similar and special. I think anything is possible. Amsterdam was the go to place for a lot of people before things changed in the states. I hope all is well with you and thanks for the company!

1 Like

Great story, good luck! Sounds like a special strain

1 Like

Great story!

1 Like

Hey there @Natea ! Welcome welcome! Thanks for stopping in! It is indeed. Just waiting on some supplies to arrive to kick this off. I will start the beans and cook the soil while they germinate. :crossed_fingers: I hope it goes well.

@PaperTech
Thanks for the interest! Tag along and hopefully everyone can enjoy this lost gem! :gem:

2 Likes

Great story and I’m along for the ride!

1 Like

@rasterman Find some parking bud! Still plenty of spaces! Thanks for finding the place and I hope you enjoy the show! :green_heart:

2 Likes

This is awesome good luck on the grow :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks @Movement13 ! Join along in the adventure! Days seem to go by slow when you’re waiting for things to arrive!

Just for a bit of transparency.

Base
50% Peat ( Premier this round)
30% Pumice
20% Compost/Castings

Amendments
Alfalfa Meal - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Activated Bio Char - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Brix Blend Basalt - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Crustacean Meal - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Fish Bone Meal - 1 Tablespoon per galoon
Fish Meal - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Glacial Rock Dust - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Gypsum - 2 Tablespoons per gallon
Kelp - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Neem & Karanja - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Oyster Shell Flower - 2 Tablespoons per gallon
Premium Insect Frass - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
Silica - 1 Tablespoon per gallon
TM-7 - 1gram per gallonish
Gnarley Barley - 1 Tablespoon per gallon( first time use)

Cooking will be done with
Dynamyco
Rootwise

Results will be close to this soil test.

Soil test reflects use of Dolomite lime and Epsom Salt at 1 Tablespoon per gallon.

I have changed the recipe to exclude Epsom and Dolomite at 1 Tablespoon per gallon. I also increased from 1 Tablespoon per gallon to 2 Tablespoons per gallon for Gypsum & Oyster Shell Flower

I did get a couple goodies in today! I gave my brother my 8in fan and carbon filter so I opted for a 6in in mine. I did manage to grab their refillable carbon filter which come with one refill and a nice scooper!

Still awaiting some other items. I will likely start germination next week if things work out the way I hope.

I managed to get most of my equipment set up so I will play around with this AC Infinity App over the next few weeks to get it dialed in. Still waiting for the clip fan as I donated mine. I’ve been waiting over 2 months for the cloud forge humidifier to arrive so :crossed_fingers: it arrives soon!

Also, has anyone used the AC Infinity UB bars with any kind of notable success? I picked a set up to play with. My research however leans me against the use but I thought I might do some experimenting myself.

Stay safe out there! :green_heart:

8 Likes

I suppose the saying goes, ask and you shall receive!:gift:

I was lucky enough to get their gen 2 even though I purchased the 1st months ago along with the Cloudforge T3. Failing to realize that buying a pre order item would result in the entire purchase to ship when the pre order item shipped. No fault to them, just failing to remember protocol :green_heart: Anyhoo, the wait was worth it, I rather have the gen 2 anyway, right!?

Rerouting wires to clear up the clutter if you will. AC infinity sends these zip ties and velcro straps that i particularly like. Very handy.

The Cloudforge is a beast. I ended up moving my carbon filter more towards the right side of the tent, and drawing the moisture down from the left with the clip fan. Originally the exhaust fan was drawing too much moisture into the filter. I will run the system for the next week or two to dial in some settings and work out possible issues. Wish me luck :green_heart:

5 Likes

AC Infinity App snapshot. Temps remain a little low due to tent location. Things seem to be getting dialed in none the less. Trying to avoid huge swings mainly… They offer a nice chart to show you a real time visual of the environment.

You are able to get ratings based on time frames and desired environmental settings, well designed for those interested in them.:pray:
AC Infinity for the win
:green_heart:

I’m just waiting for their backup generators next!:laughing:

Happy weekend all! :pray:

4 Likes

Alright quick update time! Happy weekend my fellow OGers! I hope all is well in the land of nugs n bugs!

Sooo, I finally started the 🫘 in a glass of filtered water and peroxide. I mixed in a little Rootwise for the hell of it. I have some plugs on the way they will go into before being placed in 1.75gal pots.

After a few hours the majority of seeds dropped to the bottom which is a good sign!

After 24 hours they all will be placed in a paper towel to prevent them from rotting in the water, finger crossed everything goes well for the little guys and gals! :green_heart::seedling::pray:

On a side note, I received some of my supplies I need to start mixing the 90 gallons for the bed.

I have two more packages due to arrive early this coming week so I will be able to get this batch going when I need it.

Tent is stabilizing well, final tweaks being adjusted with the fan and humidifier.

Much love! :green_heart:

5 Likes

I got the cloudforge t7. They are great! I always read that humid air rises and I also didn’t like how close the hose dumped the vapor to my light. So I extended it down to pot level with a fan near it on the floor.
Neat story! I remember sending cash in an envelope to Marc Emory back in the day with a paper order form.

2 Likes

I think if I were smarter I would have went that route. I have mine on 1 and it does the job no problem, but it tends to need a refill every two days. I may get the T7 and call it a day!

My clip fan does a great job at pulling it down, I keep it about half way up the tent. My light I believe is made for humid conditions so I think I’m ok with it flowing at my light to cool it.

Crazy how far things have come eh!? Gift cards weren’t so accessible in those days for me at least. Seeds were getting confiscated by customs quite a bit back then! Glad we are where we are! :green_heart:

1 Like

Happy Monday family!

Just wanted to give a update on the progress made…

9 out of 10 popped. 1 of the 9 has just barely cracked so I expect it should have a tap root by tomorrow evening. :crossed_fingers:

Soaking the plugs in filtered water mixed with a pinch of Rootwise.

I removed the paper from each plug at the top and used my skewer to open the center hole a bit.

Sprinkling in some Dynomyco in each hole to ensure root tip inoculation.

I decided to be lazy and throw them in an old carry out container until tomorrow to hold the moisture. I dunk the newly seeded plug in my soak bowl for good luck, then back on the heating mat! :green_heart::pray:

All in all not too shabby, things could be worse! Much love to you all!
:seedling:

9 Likes

Nicely done :fire:

1 Like