From SSeeDD to sail.. exploring SSDD, pollen chucks & Bodhi Crosses

Hell yeah! That’s what I was expecting/hoping you’d say. Definitely TK all day ^^

8 Likes

Interesting, appreciate the perspective as someone holding the cut! For some reason I assumed TK had a lemony smell. Maybe I got the idea from one of the popular canna sites that are notorious for promoting bad info such as leafly, weedmaps etc. The other Triple Sunshine C pheno (stretchier growth) had a very strong juicy fruit gum smell in early flower before I culled it. Kind of curious to see if that comes through again. I prefer offensive / gassy + fuel + rubber smells over fruity / floral personally so this A pheno is really appealing to me at the moment.

A

24 Likes

Waking Dream (Wifi #43 x SSDD)

Sunshine Daydream #2 F1

Triple Sunshine C - F1 (tk x ssdd) - the frost is really standing out visually on these early bud leaves.

Triple Sunshine A - F1 (tk x ssdd)

24 Likes

Stellar photos! Triple Sunshine looks really good!

9 Likes

Thanks! I’m really interested to see how it turns out. Has a good smell and good calyx to leaf ratio it seems. Will be interesting to see if it looks substantially different when grown sensimilla.

Crop of the top of one of the plants showing the calyx to leaf ratio.

I’m pretty much ready to trash all the new SSDD females at this point, but will wait them out to be sure. I’m going to try to get a picture of SSDD #3 tomorrow. Seems a bit frostier than SSDD #2 but very leafy also. Nothing stands out on the smells of any of the new SSDDs either (so far).

15 Likes

Man always killing it with the photos that triple sunshine looks like some kill also starting to write up the smoke reports for the ssdd x gogi og phenos so those will be up in a few days time!

13 Likes

Cool, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Here’s a shot of SSDD #3. A bit frostier than #2, has a fairly unique smell that’s a bit hard to describe. At times I want to say I get a candy aroma but am not confident at this point. Don’t like how leafy and sensitive it is currently.

Here is an SSDD #4 which has just been culled. I spotted some nanners coming out of the preflowers.

So far I’d say all 4 of the SSDDs have been a disappointment. The pistillate #1 male, low odor - high leaf matter #2, unstable #4 and mostly unimpressive #3 makes me glad I still have my keeper haha.

16 Likes

Heh, yeah… Guess I’m glad it’s not just me then but that sucks… I went through 3 whole F1 packs and didn’t find anything I liked at all. Nothing as good or better than my f2 keeper sadly. Guessing just like these don’t look as good nor better than your bubbashine girl. Maybe next time!

14 Likes

Ya, doesn’t really matter to me ultimately. Finding the TripSun A so far has made this small exploration worth it. Not getting ahead of myself, I still have to get to harvest, test effects etc but so far it’s promising at least and has made it through my initial filters of judgement… Not every plant can be the best plant ever, would take the fun out of it anyways.

I’m mostly just sketched out about 2 out of the 4 having intersex issues. My bbs pheno mom is quite stable and none of my previous SSDDs had intersex issues. It’s possible there was a trigger on my end (heat, dehydration, light leak) but as far as I know nothing else is showing issues. If these seeds didn’t come directly from SHOE I would be questioning their authenticity.

This gives me more to think about for fall or winter project.

Ya I was also thinking about that and am starting to think that I got lucky in my 2015 pack. My #1 ssdd smelled extremely nice. Coffee shoe factory rubber/butter smells. I’ve smelled a very similar smell in the crosses B made with the SSDD dad, but that was the only SSDD F1 that had that amazing aroma. My bubbashine pheno is pretty unique among the other F1s that I sampled as well. To me it feels like the crosses w/ Bodhi’s ssdd male is a much safer bet than F1s.

14 Likes

We’re a little over week 8 on these. Triple Sunshine A seems like its getting close to me. Can see a ripe seed in middle left of the first image.

Triple Sunshine A

Week 4 on this Waking Dream I think. Fan leaves getting pretty frosty.

Week 3-4 on this Triple Sunshine C as well. Hard to capture just how much the frost pops on this one. I think it has to do with trichome ‘stalk’ length or something.

18 Likes

So my latest thinking with my supply dwindling I think next round I’m going to shoot for another round of Triple Sunshine A, possibly C, and possibly SSDD keeper. I definitely want to do more Triple Sunshine A and get a better feel for it. See how stable it is and all that. I can’t imagine that the effects aren’t good but will probably mix in some pure SSDDs just to err on the side of caution.

After that run I’m almost definitely going to try a few Lavender Jacks (Jack x W15) as I thought that was a pretty cool suggestion earlier in the thread.

16 Likes

Everything is looking great, that Triple Sunshine C is definitely looking fuzzy with its tall trichome stalks. It seems you are more excited for the possibilities with the Triple Sunshine A as opposed to the C, is that due to it leaning more to the TK side? Is the Waking Dream moving the needle much for you yet?

12 Likes

Cool, I’ve been waiting for someone to pop some of those… I was really tempted to get a pack, but went the clone route. I’ve been real impressed with the clone I’m running now. It’s getting really frosty under 30 days, and stacking nicely. Very little stretch so far with this one, but I’m guessing you’ll see some variety with the seeds. Jack terps are coming on strong, so I hope you like those, but there’s also a floral lavender smell that’s starting to come through too.

The Triple Sunshine looks great! Nice shots! Looks very TKish to me… I’m running the TK next, so I’ll finally find out what she’s all about…

14 Likes

Hell ya dude! Would love to see you grow some LJ!! I re-upped and got another pack myself at the last drop. Thinking that will be my first reproduction run, but I have a few promised runs before I can get there so I’ll live vicariously through your awesome photos :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Oh no I’m just pretty happy with the observable traits on the A so far, which is ahead of C by a few weeks. The C is really vigorous, viney growth and has nice early frost. When I culled the seeded C plant that was growing into my COB lights it smelled really strong like juicy fruit gum. No clue if they will get that again, retain the smell or anything else since I’ve only observed the plant up to 4-5 weeks. I’m not a huge fan of those kinds of smells but I definitely still want to give it a chance. It may end up being the favorite.

The way A is growing it seems like it might be an amazing candidate for a SOG setup with little to no veg. Single stem plants with high quality flowers all the way down to the soil. Staking also doesn’t appear necessary as opposed to the C pheno.

There are some aspects of the Waking Dream that are starting to seem kind of nice and appealing. This early I can only go by my feeling when I’m around the plants which isn’t all that useful. My feeling around the waking dreams currently is that they aren’t that high odor and they appear like they’re going to have small leafy buds. Possibly a lot of frost as well. Not overly excited at the moment but that can all change as we all know. I’d probably be more excited about the Waking Dream if it were the only SSDD cross in the tent but at the moment the Triple Sunshines are standing out the most.

Yeah I noticed the other day that you were running a clone of it haha. You have a really interesting and impressive lineup of clones that you’ve managed to accumulate! Cool that you were able to secure the TK as well!

I’m not sure that I’ve ever had legit Jack H. The last time I remember getting “jack” was from a friend and it smelled like lemon head candy. Very sickly sweet lemon smell. I am assuming it was not legit. I’m not a big fan of the floral / eucalyptus or lavender type smells typically but am up for trying it still.

Very cool and interesting to hear you think the strain was interesting enough to reproduce to some degree. Adds a layer of excitement for sure!

13 Likes

Haha, just be sure to pop some of your OG x Ghash crosses too as the Lavender Jack may not suite your olfactory preferences. The Jack crosses I have grown are always anise, musky, jasmine type aromas, maybe some citrus, the effects from Jack are really great though.

11 Likes

Yeah Jack is basically Super Silver Haze, nl5 haze and skunk. I honestly haven’t seen any good jack herer flower in ~20years or so. The stuff I used to get always came to me in a greenish-gold color and the high was fantastic daytime motivating stuff. Everything I’ve seen since has been darker and more narcotic in effect. It’s not that it’s bad at all, it’s just not what that gold colored jack was. However I have not tried any of Bodhi’s Jack stuff so I have no idea there.

18 Likes

Interesting, I have grown Rosetta Stone from Brother’s Grimm a number of times and the buds were always more greenish-golden yellow in color as you mention and the high is definitely that up and motivating effect without being too much, definitely not narcotic at all, more clear headed and upbeat, definitely not night time smoke unless you have a few hours before bed.

My dad now grows it every year, he only likes feminized seeds as its less hassle for him but I have to buy seeds for him cause he’s old school :rofl: Anyway, last season he got all his plant ID tags mixed up and didn’t know what plant was what. It only took me one whiff of the curing jar of the Jack Herer cross for me to properly ID that one for him haha, it’s so unique and memorable, or at least it is for me. I have a few pics of the one I grew out but didn’t take any of the harvested bud.

14 Likes

I believe he has it listed as “vintage” jack herer so I assume it’s old dutch stock. I’m sure someone else lurking knows more though. Might be wrong and is possibly another cross of his (herer hashplant?) where it’s listed as vintage. I assume he only uses one Jack cut for his crosses but could be wrong.

Ya that’s def another reason I want to do a TS / SSDD run for flower stash. I won’t care if I dislike Lav Jack if I have a stockpile of meds in reserve. I’d love to grow out more Redeye Jedi, Diablo or Ghost OG x 88 but I feel like it would be foolish without F2ing with the recent announcement of the 88 retirement. Another thing about trying some new stuff next round is the potential for intersex traits pollinating my flowers yet again. I accept there’s a risk with OG / GG4 genetics but really want some seedless bud to carry me for a while haha. During the following run with jack I could try a few other things, have a long way to go to think about it still.

Yeah this is in line with what I’ve read about jack mostly. Used to browse the dutch seedbanks sites all the time back when they were relevant and I always really wanted to try Sensi’s Jack H among other things. If it’s narco that won’t really bother me either.

14 Likes

More picture dumps because the time is approaching. Not sure when but it’s definitely soon. Seeds are ripening on everything also.

Triple Sunshine A x SSDD seed

Triple Sunshine A

Both of these are Triple Sun A – seems like an amazing candidate for SOG to me… These were basically flipped 12/12 from clone with no branches removed. Hoping they grow this way again next time.

Have a good weekend guys don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.

24 Likes