From SSeeDD to sail.. exploring SSDD, pollen chucks & Bodhi Crosses

I’m sure they’ll love it!

I’ve just started my own worm bin a couple weeks ago, feeding them some for scraps here and there, with some ground up egg shells, oats and stale tortilla wraps.
I also made a bit of an amendments mix, small amounts of (Kelp, Neem, Alfalfa, etc).
I’ve added more to this population, but will leave them to reproduce by themselves.

:v:

15 Likes

Always have ordered them on ebay, is there a better place to get them that you know of?

Never had any problems doing this or do you just add it to a corner or something? I feel like they had an adverse reaction when I added kelp years ago but I may be misremembering.

Not the biggest fan of coco coir but it was an easy fix to add bulk and texture to the bedding. Hoping for at least better casting than the old store bought stuff I’ve been using.

11 Likes

I added small amounts of the amendments and mixed it into some compost, so it’s all well spread out.

I’m using coco for the bedding as well, was the easiest way I could set it up without using just cardboard. And they seem to be doing OK, havnt had any wanting to escape yet haha.

11 Likes

Ya the simplicity of coco is what lured me into using it again haha. Too much work to shred up cardboard. I think I read both cootz and @CrunchBerries use rice hulls to aerate their bedding so am curious to see if I can get them to break down for me.

11 Likes

I’ve ordered from Peacefull Valley Organics, Uncle Jim’s, and some local worm guys. All have been great, but Uncle Jim’s was probably my favorite. They are east coast and the worms arrived feisty. Arizona Worm Farm is another I’ve been interested to try. They carry worms, ewc, insect frass, amongst other things.

Yup! Small amounts of amendments in rotation added to their smoothie. Never had a problem with kelp, but I’d be careful with alfalfa, as it gets hot. Never forget that worms need grit, so Azomite and greensand (and pulverized eggshell) is what they git’. Happy worm wrangling’!!!

10 Likes

Yeh, I’m giving a Sprinkle of either powered oats or tortilla along woth ground up eggshell on every feed, just to top off the food scraps.

7 Likes

I have both those but:

I’ve been hearing differing things on the azomite. like some say it’s really bad but others say its fine. Think it has to do with it containing aluminum or something? I can’t remember…

For sure though, I have always been told that the Greensand takes well over year to breakdown in soil so adding it does nothing up front but definitely great to be in there in the long run. I don’t know how true that is though.

9 Likes

Well the worms arrived, we’ll see how it goes. Going to wait a few days before I put the lid on my bin. Also took down one of the Waking Dreams because I’m starting to see a lot of amber. Will take down the other one soon but I wanted to get some final pictures before I do. Will be itching to take down Triple Sun C because it’s the last plant left so that I can clean the tent again to hopefully deactivate lingering pollen, though it’s clearly not ready yet.

Ya I added oyster shell thinking that would be the bare minimum as a grit source for their gizzards. I’m pretty sure there were rock dusts in the compost that I mixed in too. Hopefully it’s all enough.

Will have to try those next time I order, thanks! I have noticed different worms I’ve ordered throughout the years seem to vary in how quickly they eat food thrown in the bin.

I think I used to add something like oats or some pulverized meal at the recommendation of someone in the past, thanks for reminding me!

Ya I feel like there are probably better and or cheaper options for grit anyways. Would rather just buy some crushed granite or something like that if I’m gonna buy something.

Thanks for the input everyone!

15 Likes

Azomite’s higher in heavy metals than something like basalt or other rock dusts. It’s the only thing I can find locally, though, and I wasn’t about to spend another $60 on shipping for a $20 fifty-pound bag of basalt from Concentrates (did that at the beginning of COVID, when I wasn’t willing to leave my house haha). I used the azomite in a new batch of soil I mixed up a while ago, the soil I grew in last round (and that I’m growing in currently) and got pretty great yields, although I obviously have no idea if the azomite had anything to do with that. I’d prefer to be using Gaia Green or something, but I’m not gonna pay 300 percent more on shipping than what the bag itself costs haha.

Multiple years, actually, but yeah, I don’t see any reason why that should keep somebody from adding it to their worm bins. It’s a good source of nitrogen; it just takes years for it to become plant-available. Or whatever haha.

But if you’re planning on recycling your soil and stuff, why not add it to the “worm food”? Not talking about you specifically, holy, I know you’re not recycling soil haha.

11 Likes

Absolutely if you’re recycling soil thinking long term is the way to go. I’m with you on not wanting to pay an arm and a leg to ship pulverized stone. Just going to gamble on the Oyster Shell and if they seem to be slower than usual @ consuming decaying matter then I’ll rethink things.

So here’s the final pictures of the Waking Dream prior to whenever I chop (tomorrow probably). Will probably be inbetween 60-65 days but who knows. I randomly moved stuff in after the mass cull & removal of the male. I’m fairly certain we’re past 60 days though.

Triple Sun C

Triple Sun A

24 Likes

Did you keep a clone or reveg?

8 Likes

There were clones of everything prior to flowering. Sadly I trashed the TS male (#2) 2 days before seeing the pistils on the SSDD #1 male.

11 Likes

Good call on the cuts! Sadness on that TS male but sometimes it be like that. Maybe just not meant to be… yet :wink:

7 Likes

Ya, I failed the ridiculously frosty SunRa reveg (not cedar) as well as the Redeye Jedi… Didn’t wanna gamble on reveg on these haha. Still going to gamble on revegging stuff less ‘rare’ in the future just due to space and plant count reasons.

All of the new SSDDs have been culled and are gone. Still waiting on TS-C & WD. TS C is smelling really good now, no more bubblegum. Smell intensity could be higher and requires agitation / rub at the moment. Small buds and very frosty. I don’t care about yield so that doesn’t really bother me…

16 Likes

Triple Sunshine C

Triple Sunshine A - Flowers starting to form. Should have marked the date that I put these in… Oh well. They went directly from clone into 1 GAL pots a week or 2 ago and then immediately into flower.

These guys looking for a fight from the moment they come into this world.

26 Likes

This place is amazing I get a big 5 gallon bucket of basalt for 40 bucks there castings are super high quality worms are nice and healthy they have a cool farm gone there multiple times good company to support

11 Likes

Cool pics! What are those things?

9 Likes

Look like a lobster-scorpion hybrid. That’s a lovely Triple Sunshine C!

10 Likes

No doubt, they look mean! Lacewing larva?

10 Likes

Yep Lacewing larvae! Generalist predator, another common name for them is ‘aphid lion’. They also eat two-spotted spider mites, thrips, caterpillars, whiteflies and even other lacewing larvae. This is how their eggs look on plants naturally -

not my picture

Yeah, in person it looks a bit frostier than I’m able to display in the pictures. It’s still photogenic though for sure! Buds are very small though and while they do smell really good at the moment the odor isn’t high at all. Possibly my fault as they do look a bit deficient. I also trashed the WD mother last night because I saw a single unopened nanner on the underside of one of the lower buds after cutting it down. Figured that is worth noting as well.

20 Likes