Fuel's grow log

The seeds start to rush the place, i’m happy even if i have maybe one more month of germinations in front of me to reboot the lab’. I don’t specially like to do it, i prefer to analyze and kill seedlings lol

But i was thinking than maybe it was a good idea to present how i do that, one time for good because it’s always the same procedure. For the curious or some than need inspiration or whatever, just to share it if any.

As promised, the very ghetto picture :

I need to buy again a dozen of seeds sprouters lol

One person here know in detail why i’m so much happy to see that again, and what this ugly ghetto pile of germinating seeds represent for me ^^ Proud to be shameless. As hell.

Now this is my best friend to manipulate germinating and germinated seeds :

This is a titanium tweezers (surgery) with enough strenght to be able to do delicate operations with it. If it’s too loose, i crunch the seeds with it.

I never touch germinated and germinating seeds with my fingers, gold rule. Even with gloves.

The first thing than i’m doing is to wash everything than will be used and than is “not brand new”. I just use dish soap in good quantity (without excess) and i don’t rinse the tools. Residual dish soap “film” is my friend.

For fresh seedlings, i use the white “plastic glass”. I don’t known the volume, i can test it if any.
On left the format of the popular “solo cup” more generally known, a bit less than a half liter (0.11 gal).

It’s how i prepare them, and it’s (for real) the start of the optimization. I just flame a cutter blade then i make four fine cut on the bottom of the cup. More will make my seedlings lazzy and i don’t want that, time is not money but weed than you don’t smoke ^^

I use this kind of supermarket soil. Nothing special or expensive but enough “fine”. I work it a little in my hands to aerate it to the maximum possible, like a cloud of soil.

I fill very gently the cup, i NEVER press the soil and i let it loose, aerated to maximum and fluffy as hell. By this way, i will be able to have solid, dense and not struggled roots. The soil don’t disapear by magic when the seedling fill the cup with roots, the roots are just compressing the soil to have space. And the force of a seedlings to compress the matter of its soil mustn’t be under-evaluated. The more compressed, the more the roots are compressing each others when you want dense and boosted root balls to transplant. Specially with explosive products like Root Excellurator ^^

I place them in a “tray” then i fill the tray with tap water until the cups are gently “floating”. I was used to do it the day before the transplant of seeds with larger scales. To let the soil to be “uniform” in RH. But i was more in “chinese factory” mode today.

I wait a little, the time for the water to enter gently in the cup in preparing the others trays.

Just before sowing the seeds, i spray in a very fine rain the upper side of the cup to broke the “dry layer” and permit to the twos humid side to “communicate” fast. It’s why i don’t hate dish soap.

Then i digg a micro-hole on every cup ready to be “sowed” with seeds. Every single one, to known in one fast check if the cup is allready filled with a seed or not. I dig mostly at 0.5 centimeter depth, one centimeter for the big-rooted-dragster seeds.

On the right, there is a seed than is perfect to explain how i think. It’s planting his pivot root just aside. Not to dig, but to “stand up” and become a plant. Without its primary leafs, it actually don’t known than it’s on surface so it will continue to probe the surface until to find a stable corner to “be right on its feets”.

Can appear stupid like that, but it don’t exist a single way to plant seeds. Like “plant the root down”, “plant the root up” blabla … just plant the root in thinking what the fuck is doing the seedling lol At this stage theyr are just pathetic arm-wrestling babies, if you don’t forget that you will plant all your seeds the right way.

If you think than i will plants all these seeds the same way and manner, you don’t got the thing and/or i don’t have well explained it ^^

The macro is not very good but it give an idea on how i adapt.

I want to dedicate this post to this Avinash Soul F1 lol It literally exploded from the shell like pop corn. And without taking the time to eat all the food inside lmao Motivate the others, sucker !

Because writing on cups is shitty as hell and need to be done again at each transplantation … i use this cheap and simple trick. Available everywhere and “knifes” are enough long to write the ID on it. I use also spoons of different colors to mark the specimens. Like : red spoon = to be killed, green spoon = to watch, yellow spoon = to be pollinated etc … with a fast check you can remember things without opening the database during the daily maintenance.

First shot done, around 30 seeds. I will let sit the cups in a bit of water like that until tomorrow morning then put them in a large, dry and clean tray. One dedicated for the veg side, one dedicated for the “sog from seeds” side. No light until i see a leaf.

Maybe 20 mores seeds are waiting to be transplanted, the ST#3 x Ghanna batch is dead. Trash fate. The first shot of ghanna x zamal too, i need to launch others from this one again. Some of you will think than it’s pretty early to throw seeds but they smell not legit. I mean really smell lol Can’t explain really, only my grand son can smell this odor too.

I will try to document a specific trick for this type of difficult and aged seeds. Somes will be shocked maybe ^^

see ya ! can’t wait to see some green in the tents.

7 Likes

First batch of seed is close to be finished. The veg side will start tommorow, enough seeds to launch the first wave.
But the SOG side need around at least 30 more to be safe

So, I’ve relaunched today :

• a dozen of ghanna x zamal F1 for the sog, i will relaunch another dozen tomorrow to show a weird trick.
  • a dozen of (ECSD x Southern delight) x Grape Krush F1 for the sog
  • a dozen of JH #5 F8 for the sog
    and i forgot to mention ~20 JH#2 F8 allready launched for the veg

I hate this part of a reboot, no mothers to clone and a load of seeds to transplant at a time. Can’t wait the cruiser speed.

4 Likes

Hahaha! Excellent! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Excellent post my friend. Thanks for that! Going directly to oleskool’s Big Red Book of Aquired Knowledge.

2 Likes

Tiny update this week, it’s hard for the mind to have only seedlings in the crop lol

I’m happy, this is the last batch of seeds than i launch for a good month at least. Transplanting seeds each day is not my poison.

I forgot to transplant this GrapestomperOG x Bubba Jam a bit ^^ Shame on me lol

The last batch, seeds of the JH#5 line i’ve made in the schoesbox. I just finish to transplant them, an half dozen in late and i’m done to relaunch seeds again.

The SOG from seeds start to smell the “let it grow”, i’ve 26 to 28 final slots in 4 liters pots. 37 seedlings are growing under 12/12, i will finish with around 40 i think. Enough to kill the males and the less sexy females during the twos next transplantation.

The hint, which is not really a true one, is to directly put the seeds under 12/12. Germinating->transplant->12/12.
You insure this way a good dynamic for later.

Next harvest will be mainly the WTF mix and a potent/hazey Jack Herer. Not lucky with the old dry seeds and i will launch directly the zamal/ghanna in veg finally. Basically the most potent zamal females are bad mothers, seeds are very tiny and long to germinate. Add 8+ years and it’s the hell lol No GA3 under the hand to help them by the way, old school.

In veg they produce roots gently, can’t wait to test theyr weed ^^ Sweet Tooth, GS x BJ, Jack. The three components of a 3way i want to make. Finger crossed for the GSxBJ, but i’ve good feeling. I think than this US blend will win its place in the cross, after … damn 6 lines rejected. Time will speak.

I hope to can transplant some in 2 liters the next week, i will test this week a new root stimulator to replace the Root Excelurator. Not easy, this product is very effiscient.

see you !

5 Likes

Behind the things : compressed coco coir ^^

Today it’s the second week, the transplants will begin. So i need coco coir ^^

Micro update to share a basic habit about this product than i’m using mainly as medium when i can : the coco bricks. They are pretty usual here, cheap and easy to send discreetly.

The difficulty for me is generally to find bricks without trichodermas, this is pretty trendy here but i don’t specially like that. I prefer to rely on individual roots boosters for different reasons.

So here the twos products than will “enrich” the dry coco brick.

Roots Excellurator (H&G) : A bit pricey but my favorite root booster (until now). The boost is pretty agressive and long lasting, i generally only use it twice in a session. One time per transplant operation.

Not really a rule because the inner rhythm of each crop matter, but a share to understand how i decide it :

• The first drop being when seedlings start to have a true trunk, when their very first peri-derm is “cracking”. You know, this little dry and dead skin. It’s time for me to give them a real pot to colonize.

• The second drop being when i transplant in definitive pots. Depend on the strain, sometimes it’s before the stretch, after the stretch or during the stretch. But always around this stage.

Soil Attack (Aptus) : This is relativly new. The shoebox and its GMO gnats helped me to discover better this product in fact. Partly a preventive measure (it stink very strong) but it have also a very nice effects on the “restart” time of the transplanting operation. It “strenght up” a bit also the main pivots roots of healthy plants in increasing their diameter, and produce more “hairy roots” in young stage.

For a 70 liters brick i use 10 liters of solution (2.64 gal), splitted in 2 x 5 liters.

Spanish like to mix with the water different organic amendment and let the coco suck it : worm casting, fish emulsion etc … but i’m not so in these things.

Uggly pics to show the Roots Excell concentration ^^

So i mix the stuff at these dosages :

• Roots Excell : 0.25 milliliter per liter
  • Soil Attack : 0.30 milliliter per liter

Then i shake the twos jerrican like a bartender lol

Let’s dance with the first pass. I use a big plastic container than i can seal when i’ve finished, and than just fit the dimension of the brick i’m using…

I place it in the center.

And i pour on it the first jerrican, slowly and in moving the jerrican to hit all the surface.

It look like that after the first pass. Only the upper part is saturated.

Then i pour the bottom of the container, on each side, with the second jerrican.
And i let it sit closed for a day in a temperate space (not cold, not warm).

The day after, i crunch the brick with the hands (with gloves) to aeate it in pressing the coir in a bucket to remove the excess of solution. Than i recycle the bucket in the watering of seedlings not yet ready for the transplant ^^

See you tomorrow for the transplanting and the update of plants ;o)

8 Likes

And there is the update.
I’ve tryed to take a bunch of pics to reduce the explanations lol New fomat ^^

The brick after a night.

The water ratio was just perfect, no drain at all. Less work.
So the next step was to work with hands the coir to aerate it at maximum, the second pic give an idea of the final volume reached.

Coco coir boosted with root booster and preventive care = ready.

What’s going on in the tents

Veg side, the synchro is not bad.

SOG from seeds side (SOGFS) is not the same, bad synchro but i like this pic. It show perfectly the three steps of seedlings stages.

Last ones launched (JH#5) are on the right, on the left is the previous batch (JH#5) and in the middle is the first batch (WTF, JHST).

In both spaces, it’s time for a partial transplant. Let’s dance !

Behind the things : First transplant

Don’t be affraid, i’m writing each "behind the things " sequences one time for good ^^

If you follow this grow log, you allready known what mean this pic, the dish ! No matter what, i always wash the pots and micro-greenhouses when i put a plant inside. Each time and even with brand new pots.

As usual, i fill the pots “loose”. Keeping the medium very aerated and not compacted at all.
Then i dig a hole to place the root blocks.

I transplant pretty deep the first time. Even with a woody clone.
No worry, the trunk will produce roots.

It give an idea of the height i let for the aerial side.
Very gently topped with coir, lifted but not compacted at all.
No watering and no spraying at this point.

I stock them in a clean container and when i’ve ten, i prepare a solution for the very first true feeding.

AB Aqua Flakes : 1 milliliter per Liter, thats all.

Then i pour an half jerrican (0.66 gal) directly in the container of the ten pots. Just enough to hit well the drain’s holes.
No spray at all on the top, the ambient humidity will be enough.

First batch transplanted, it will continue like that … for ever in fact lol, but in a more smooth rhythm.

And yes i don’t have enough space in the flo side to transplant them all ^^ I count on the desynchro to can kill some males on the go ( i think than some will start to appear next week) , but at one moment it will be overcrowd for sure.
It’s the necessary fail-safe margin to can fill the space only with females.

SOG from seeds considerations : Seedling’s development.

I will more show than comment for the further pics, each one will make his own opinion. I don’t do that to convert or to sell something, just to show a very bad known method : sogging from reg seeds.

For this pic, i’ve selected the three more vigorous specimens of the flowering space (LEFT) and the three more vigorous specimens of the vegetative space (RIGHT).

The sogged seeds have started under 12/12 just after being sowed. Veg side is set at 18/6.
They were feeded with the exact same soup until now and have the same soil.

On the left the vegged seedling (sweet tooth#3) and on the right the sogged seedling ( WTF : by the pattern i guess a [Lemon Skunk x Grape Kush] x Jack Herer ).

That’s all for this week, see ya and have fun with your plants !

15 Likes

Great stuff brother @Fuel. You have got me thinking of giving coco another shot. Thanks! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Excellent example of interveinal chlorosis, the veins are the last thing to turn yellow
this picture would be good for the FAQ page not sure how to do that though.

Just finished reading the thread, lots of detail, nice pics, will be nice to follow along a current grow. happy hunting

1 Like

Hy there, this week it will be a short update. Because i’ve failed hardly twos weeks in counting the next which is coming.
Reason : i just forgot to order 140 liters of coco coir and 40 pots ^^ No excuse. Just a big fail from memory’s zapping.
:speak_no_evil:

I’ve a load of transplants than are waiting, i’m mad.

I’ve a couple of very nice phenos in the GSxBJ, and i was not expecting this stability for a rich blood like that. They fight very well against the ST#3 which is pretty awesome for me. Avinash, you rox.

Half of the seedlings need to be transplanted, let’s say than i’m hardening off them lol They will continue to drink water un til i receive the stuff.

The vegged plants eat 1ml/l AB Aqua flakes.

Here it’s not the same story, they drastically need to be transplanted lol

The WTF are doing well, now than i can smell them and see their shape it’s a funky blend : (Lemon Skunk x Grape Kush) x Jack Herer and (Lemon Skunk x Grape Kush) x Sweet Tooth#3.

5 females and 2 males for now, serious things are starting lol

The usual weekly comparison.
On left the most vigorous specimen of the veg side : ST#3
On right the most vigorous specimen of the flo side, sog from seed : (LSxGK) x ST#3
The right just declared female :

I prey for a fast delivery of my stuff damn. I will take a big week of late on my planning because stupid argh !

See ya !

12 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that happens to someone like you. It happens to me far to often! How old are you @Fuel? :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I’m a 70’s model locked in the 90’s for near everything lol

2 Likes

Well said!! I get it!

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Another frustrating update, coir and pots not received yet. So i don’t feed so much the plants, and play the “time watch game”. I was right damn, twos blank weeks.

On background, the sweet tooth #3 F6. On front-left, the bitchy but delicious JH#2.

And on the front-right, the new outsider, the GSxBJ F1. Pretty stable in shape for the blend, variations are a lot less rodeo than i was thinking at the start.

On the rack a load of seedlings waiting their pots, along the three strains.

It start to be out of control here lol I was supposed to start the pump this week but … i will have to dance with the evil. 5 more females declared in their seedlings pots, shame on me.

Little demonstration on “why 6 inline easy rollers”, permit to adapt the height on 3 corners.

And the usual comparison.
On left, the most vigorous specimen (ST#3) under 18/6 and on right the most vigorous specimen under 12/12. Both germinated and sowed at the same date, and placed directly under their respective light. Both at ~20days.

See ya soon with more pots lol

7 Likes

Interesting! @Fuel. What do you make of this? A teachable moment! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Just to show how grow a “sogged” seed week after week, until harvest.

1 Like

Guess what ? No pots and coco coir yet ^^ After reverse investigation, the package is locked since a week in a depot. I will try to sort out that tomorrow, fingers crossed.

The ST#3 F6

The JH F9 on left (X3), the GSxBJ F1 on right

The remaining seedlings to transplant … damned On the group, i’ve a very interresting pheno of ST#3 and JH#2, i’m mad.

In the flowering space, it’s a bit more rushy than last week. They can’t wait to produce flowers. I’ve gently started the PK (H&G) at 0.5ml/L on the biggest. They was supposed to be all transplanted in 4 liters pots at this stage lol
They are all females.

Some flowers are coming gently, good for the mood !

This one will be fire, i known it by advance. Funky WTF pheno, remind me the NL#5xHaze in the shape. Very hungry.

Left most vigorous of veg (2 liters pot), right most vigorous of flo (4 liters)

Not so many things to document but boring cleaning/maintenance. Next week will be more funny i guess.
See ya !

11 Likes

Im watching that sweet tooth, I will steal it :grinning:

2 Likes

I was watching this thread, but will go over it in depth, to make sure i don’t miss a detail…

Nice one!

1 Like

Coco coir and pots received last week, with twos weeks of late. It was epic but solved, now i’ve to beat the time and to recover the late with plants.

It’s all right in the veg side, the selection is started. On the right, the unselected specimens than will be used for a bunch of tutorials on training, pruning and others things like that. I was supposed to start them this week end but too many job in the house.

I’m pretty lucky, on the three strains i got desirable variations with alternative choices. I will operate a second “unselected filter” the end of this week, but i will not get so many rejected pheno i think. Next week i will start to clone them to test and torture them.

Half unhappy with the synchro of the flowering room, but i’m demanding. They are all only ~one month old from scratch (seeds) and they are on the right way. Just this damned late, i’m drying the pots to launch the pump of the system a first cycle.

The WTF maded with a sweet tooth male are obviously more advanced and leafy, surprisingly not the most hungry. I was in fear for thye multi-strain about the daughters of the jack herer male but even the little ones want fight hard. Pretty good new, i will start with a rich tank without too much stress for all specimens.

Promising, full of fruity scents and fast sweet tooth x (lemon skunk x grape krush), but not my favorite.

This one is my favorite and hungry as fck, JH male on the “bruce banner female LSxGK” of the shoebox.

And i forgot one more time to take the comparison shot lmao I will add it later. I think i will start the pump 2 days later from now, reaching the extrem limit of what they can handle in carencies. To be continued …

8 Likes