Gavita LEDs on first grow

What are some thoughts on the gavita lights ? I am working on my first grow and would like to have the best equipment. I am working with about a 15x15 room. Money is not an issue. I would like to put in for a good output! Any advice Is much appreciated. Also thinking of making a charcoal filter.

6 Likes

Hello, @SplashAlot and welcome to OG!

So I think you’ll find there are many differing opinions on which LED grow lights are the best. If money isn’t a deciding factor, you should also look at the HLG line (Horticulture Lighing Group). Their HLG 650R is a very nice light. Here’s their website:

TBH, if you take the time to research each vendor’s best lights, you’ll be able to more easily decide which is best for your needs. Oh, and HLG also sells on Amazon, so you can also check out their reviews.

3 Likes

Welcome Slash.
I’m finishing up my 4th run with gavita’s 1700’s, my 3rd run with HLGs 550’s, and 2nd with Spider Farmer 4000’s. Imho, they’re all better than traditional HID. The Gavita’s are my favorite, but can see why people love the HLG’s and SF’s as well. They main difference i see with the Gavitas is a better/ more uniform footprint (no hot-spots) and they seem to run cooler. The HLG’s amd SF’s both are amazing, but they seem to have hot-spots in the center of the footprint, they don’t cover the area the Gavita’s do, and they run a bit warmer. Though once environment was adjusted to a friendlier LED environment, they all beat out traditional HiDs in GPW and better bag appeal. With a 15x15 area I would run 9 1700’s. They like a warmer co2 rich room, 80-85 we’ve been running and they’re loving it. We don’t use CO2 supplement, but exchange air in room 3+ times a min to maintain levels. We’re consistently hitting over 1.5 with all the LEDs, but the Gavita is the best. Make sure to dim them the 1st few weeks of veg and if possible, keep moms, clones, and seedlings under same spectrum to avoid any shock/stress when moved into flower room. That was our biggest issue on our 1st runs, clones amd seedlings were getting shocked because of strength, dimmed at 50% no issues at all. Gavita is also coming out with a veg/mom LED from what my rep told me. Good luck with everything.
Headie

7 Likes

If money’s not an object I wouldn’t recommend making your own carbon filter. If you don’t pack them perfectly you end up with loose spots which allow smell through. Scrubbers are cheap compared to all the other $$$ you’re about to drop lol

Here’s a good thread about DIY LEDs. Tons of great info even if you’re not going ot build your own.

If you do build you’ll save alot of bread, but also you can create custom lights to fit your space perfectly.

You can’t really go wrong with any of the higher end prefab LEDs like MrHeadie mentioned.

5 Likes

So this is my opinion and i dont want to poop on the lights that companies make but they provide light from a smaller area that spreads out and relies on reflection or distance from canopy to get good coverage, those bridgelux strips or similar led’s as posted above can be spaced for an even canopy and placed closer than the companies state theirs can. Depending on plant sizes you can even have multiple tiers in a room and not even going into how the bridgelux strips dont need active cooling as they run at lower temps.

4 Likes

Is that 1.5lbs per fixture of 1.5g per watt?

Gpw MikeRoss. 1.87 is our best run so far with the Gavitas. I may hit 2 gpw this run on a few lights. Very impressed with these for my application :clap:.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s over 2.5 per light with room for improvement.

1 Like

Yea, every time we’ve cut down using these I’ve been amazed. The most the room with Gavitas ever hit with hids was 7.5 with 3x600s and 1x 1000. With the Gavitas, if I monocrop with my production cuts I can see 10 being fairly easy.
Headie

3 Likes

I have 2 gavita’s in a 4 x 8 area, and have gotten to 2.3 gpw- basically reaching over 6 lbs per grow. If you are going with led’s, better learn how to defoliate correctly. No CO2 either. Search out “sshz and Orange Gasm” and check out my grow with over 39,000 views at this point.

3 Likes

12 plants… this wasn’t orange gasm, this one was sweet zombie.

8 Likes

BubbleHead by TonyGreenes Totured Beans……

2 Likes