General Ethics FAQ

I don’t think you can go wrong with that attitude :+1:

1 Like

Just don’t post addresses publically in threads when trading seeds and cuttings, cuz duh lol

But also, most people offering trade through a post on the site (that isn’t a PM) have already shared what they have to trade as many others have and most often pretty ecstatic when someone else grows something they traded them (especially if it’s their own crossing)

mostly though, if they didn’t want you to talk about the trade they would probably pm and tell you such

3 Likes

This is a tough one. I’ve been fucked over 4 times now by high profile “respected” members (one fairly recently).

So far, I have not left bad feedback and I have not revealed who they are, but I have ceased communicating with them or participating in their threads. They know who they are.

Threads here are chock full of praise for this community, but there are some sketchy fuckin’ people around here, folks. As I have said in the past, you wouldn’t even believe me if I listed their names here. Who knows, maybe they just have an issue with me specifically. Still not an excuse.

This is why I won’t even bother with “trades” any more. I’ll just quietly give my seeds to people who seem to need them and not ask for anything back. This is the only way for me to avoid disappointment and becoming jaded by bad experiences.

16 Likes

This sadly is part of the trading reality. I have completed roughly 10 trades in the three months I have been on OG. Only one of these left a bad taste and all the others have been mutually beneficial. Of course, it remains to be seen what grows from the seeds but to be painfully honest, with the exception of ColumbianGoldxPanamaRed, GSCxOaxacan and Jillybean, I am trusting those who provided the seeds I AM SENDING.
I love the idea of free communication. I think it would move the bad actors and questionable traders to clean up their act or move on.

10 Likes

I suspect the only way this would come to light would be through open discussion and pattern recognition.

3 Likes

More likely (because I have seen it happen so many times) it would turn into a “he said, she said” situation where the truth is never known and popularity reigns. I have no interest in playing that game.

3 Likes

Any individual exchange may be “he said” “she said”. This is where the pattern recognition comes in. Repeted accusations against. Repeated, unsubstantiated accusations from…
Third party hearsay and gossip suck. But multiple first-hand voices paint clear pictures.

3 Likes

There is no real third party anything here.

If someone says “oh this person is saying or doing this” it is a name search and click away to bring up all their recent posts and find where the issue started, for a mod or leader.

Things go awry sometimes but mostly we keep it in check, seed trades are not moderated and are between the people trading, we don’t watch them or moderate them because then all trades would have to go through the two people trading and the moderator in charge of the seed trade to make sure things go the way they were supposed to and teaching people how to be a decent person is well last my pay grade lol

5 Likes

Which is why…waaaay back, I created the what’s your beef thread, to call out people you have beef with in a setting that can’t get you banned (easily) and @LemonadeJoe created the trade feedback category, to track and watch who is trading and if they are being honest in their trades by being able to post a thread telling them how good or bad they were and give them a star rating

7 Likes

I encourage all my trading partners to have one of these.
https://overgrow.com/t/about-the-trade-feedback-category/14424

Mine is here:
https://overgrow.com/t/allora-feedback/23747

If the seeds arrive well packed, in a timely manner and they are what has been discussed I will leave a positive review. If I do not want to leave a requested 5 star review (for whatever reason) I will discuss it in PM.
Given the norms I have observed here, I am currently disinclined to leave negative reviews beyond withholding my public feedback. That may change if I get unceremoniously ripped off but so far that probably hasn’t happened.

4 Likes

The simple words “I have heard of trades going bad” constitute 3rd party grumbling. Even if no names are mentioned… In fact, because no names are mentioned, this kind of utterance leaves a general bad taste and tends to normalize bad behavior.

2 Likes

I think people on here need to know who did who wrong so maybe that person that did the dirty won’t do it again IF anybody will ever have anything to do with them, again.

9 Likes

Truth! And that’s a big IF.

Once outted, people tend to not fuck with those people anymore and they generally piss off somewhere else

8 Likes

Would the community like a seed czar on trades…

2 Likes

That sounds like an eminently abusable position!
It may be useful to have a vetting hub. Someplace to ask, “does so-and-so have any unresolved complaints against them?” …

I haven’t felt the need so far but then I am new.

1 Like

We do have the Moderated Trades thread.

I am not sure what it adds but I suppose if a person who did you dirt was trading on that thread you could mention it to the counter-party.

1 Like

That’s more within the thread kinda moderated, like the collective threads have their own moderation

1 Like

The vetting hub idea is what lead to the creation of feedback category

1 Like

You can’t force people to post their negative feedback if they don’t want to though.

2 Likes

I love the feedback threads. However, several of my trading partners have not wanted so public an exchange. I get that, as the free seed hunters do come after those who show generosity.

Also, there is a norm of 5 stars or nothing. Which may boil down to Yes/No re trading with that person again.

2 Likes