General use Gardening thread

The asian pear compared to european

2 Likes

I have some Candy cane seeds for you. @luxton

3 Likes

Your awesome @duo good to see you around!
How many varieties you growing?

Probably about 20 ish this year.

3 Likes

That’s amazing!! I’m so excited :grin::grin::grin:.

Thank you!!

2 Likes

Following @Pawsfodocaws lead, I harvested the fruit from my pear and apple trees. On the left is Asian pear and on the right is honey crisp apple. Not too bad for a very hot and smoky grow season.

17 Likes

Nice harvest man!!!

3 Likes

Good for Apple and Pear butter !

I have begun saving seed from these heirloom Old German tomatoes. I should have several flips to give out in the coming days.

17 Likes

Let me know when i could grab some from you those tomatoes look really cool. And i bet they taste amazing!
@Hashpants

2 Likes

I will start a list , buddy! I want to get the pepper and Watermelon seeds to send all together. They are very mild and sweet. They are not good for storage.

7 Likes

No problem bud. Thanks for all your doing here!

2 Likes

Is that a collectors card? :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha nice. :smile:

1 Like

I will be picking my super chilis soon. Already got one. I have like 10 more. They will be dried and i will offer the seed. Same with super cayenne.

Hot damn thats a good darn pepper!!!

14 Likes

Made some peach jam. Damn is it some good stuff. This was a tester run For large batch.

9 Likes

Picked a few peppers today. There are many more, but I’ll have to get to them this weekend. Ajicito on left, Ashe County Pimiento on right.
Seeds will be available within the next few days. Send a message if you want some, I just need to dig them out and let them dry a few days.

About the Ajicito:
Also known as Aji Dulce; other peppers are called Aji Dulce as well. It basically just means “sweet pepper” so depending on who you’re talking to and where they’re from, you could be referring to two totally different peppers.
These Ajicito, I’m told, are the correct “Aji Dulce” for making Recaito and Sofrito, which are both very tasty. I can’t claim I know what I’m talking about from direct cultural experience, I’m a German/Irish/Norwegian mutt born in the US, but I brought some of these to work and my Puerto Rican friend there damn near did a backflip when he saw them; apparently they’re hard to find outside of there (although you can totally just order seeds and grow them… I did). He took a picture and sent it to his mom, which immediately prompted her to call him and all I could hear was excited shreiking over the phone in a language I couldn’t understand. So, apparently these are the real deal, or so I’m told.
Anyhow, they grow prolifically. These are in a DIY earthbox style setup and got so large w/ so many peppers that I had to lean them over on a tomato cage, but they can get this big easily in the ground if they’re happy. Expect to support them with a cage, they will make many, many peppers and they’ll need the help to stay upright. This one has 100+ currently. I stopped counting.

The peppers are sweet, not spicy at all & also good for stuffing, omelets, or whatever else. Excellent fermented, smoked, or smoked then fermented, and add a nice sweet depth to a hot sauce if you need to tone down the superhots a bit. They fruit late. Here in the Carolinas, they’re just now ripening up. Don’t bother planting outside (here anyway) until late June-July or they’ll just sit there looking unhappy until it gets hot. They’re stable, no problems at all collecting seeds and sprouting them next year and getting consistent plants.

The Ashe County Pimientos are good too. Smaller, stout plants that grow tasty peppers. Good for pretty much anything sweet peppers are good for. Incredibly mild. Delicious in pimiento cheese, the caviar of the south. Heirloom variety from Ashe County NC.

Sorry you had to read all of that. Now that you have, want any seeds?
Disclaimer: I put any pepper plants that I pick for seed a couple hundred feet away from other peppers to try and prevent any cross pollination. Despite this, there is always a chance, although slim, that they were pollinated by a distant hot pepper with the help of an overzealous pollinator.

15 Likes

Scored a few peppers myself , today.

25 Likes

9 flips of Old German tomatoes for you fantastic gardeners. Old German is a big early , prolific yellow/ red slicing tomato. It is Not a good keeper and its low acid makes it a poor canner. Its for eating as a fresh treat and showing off. Taste is sweet, very sweet and mild hierloom.

@Pawsfodocaws has one. None are left.So exciting to see folks gardening!

22 Likes

Pear jam

13 Likes

I would very much like one of those!

3 Likes