General use Gardening thread

Tools for planting.

Home made staple pusher.

11 Likes

Are the staples to keep the field of the weed barrier, as opposed to the perimeter, from blowing around too much? If so, how do you keep the perimeter grounded?

The torch adapter is most excellent! Is the tube a telescoping cane?

2 Likes

Go to Fedco. Get Little Leaf-19 and Sassy pickling cukes…thank me later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’ll work. Send your info and I’ll get it out.

2 Likes

The tube is connected to the tank and feeds the fire end, which i put a visegrip on for easy attachment of the soup can. The weed torch is sold at home depot. I have to put staples on the fabric edges and about every 4 ft along the paths. If it flops in the wind ,it can harm little plants. My staple driver is a handle with a block head of wood to start and drive staples from a standing position.

6 Likes

Huge thanks!! Anything else you really dig from them? May as well buy a bunch of stuff for that free shipping lol

2 Likes

Yes indeed. I’m a big fedco fan in general. I like three tomatoes Mark Twain, Opalka, Black Prince.
Chinese greens…Blues is a cabbage, pretty quick. Tokyo bekana is another green, more lettuce like…cut and come again. They sell a Mesclun mix, it comes as two packs. One is mustards and one is lettuces and all of it is cut and come again.
Chards…they have one called Perpetual Spinach…tastes just like spinach in fact but grows much better and in full sun. I’ve been cutting them every 2 weeks and still no end in sight. The other chard I like is their Fordhook.
Their seeds are very viable…I plant only one per space/cup 85-95% germination. And prices are excellent too.

6 Likes

Hard outta likes.

Thank you, @willie!

3 Likes

Much appreciated!!

3 Likes

For sure, I would love to have a pack.

4 Likes

No prob, send your info and I’ll get something together. The two I packs I have ready now have been claimed, BUT more will be picked within a week or so. I’ll get them out when they’re ready. Plenty of time left before planting season.

5 Likes

Not quite sure what these are because I got the seeds out of a huge green striped cushaw from the store last year but none of the ones I’ve grown this year had necks on them like they normally should. Bummer they don’t get as big and pretty as the originals since that was the main reason I grew them. Taste is like a muted butternut so they’re edible but nothing great.

What they SHOULD have looked like
And some little decorative gourds hanging out. I’ve counted at least 40 so far so the Thanksgiving table is gonna be full of them.

18 Likes

Time for maceration of the papples.

Making this lovely papple jam. :smiley: :blush: :jar:

27 Likes

That sounds so good right now.

5 Likes

Made my pasta sauce a bit salty darnit. Canning it meow.
1 roma plant and some home grown garlic and onion. And some parsley. Made 2 pints! I have one more im picking.

9 Likes

18 Likes

Hell yeah man, thats awsome. Its that time of year. Canner going every weekend, dehydrator going non stop.

Hey, just some unsolicited advice (its the only kind I have :rofl:).
If you get into canning gallons worth of things, you may want to can things as ingredients rather than finished products. You lose the ability to dump a meal out of a jar, but retain the ability to use your canned goods for whatever you want.

This may be totally obvious to you already, sorry if thats the case, but I’d been canning for years and getting tired of eating the same thing over and over every winter before it finally hit me… it was one of those “oh good god I’m a dumbass” moments… lol.

Anyhow, as an example, I do all of my soups and sauces super bland for that reason now. I’m free to make it salty, spicy, sweet, or use whatever meat I want when I open the jar. A little more work when its time to cook, but leaves you with more options.

Nice work on the canning though, that shit is fun.

12 Likes

This is definitely a relative statement. If you live where these culinary mints are selected from, you’re okay planting them, although they’re still going to be aggressive.

I live in Kansas, and we have some great native mints. Slender mountain mint is my favorite, and it grows all over my prairie. It’s not a runner like those culinary ones. Makes a nice short shrub. It’s native to quite a large area in the US and Canada. Check it out! Pycnanthemum tenuifolium

8 Likes

Make the next ones without salt and mark them so you can mix one to one. GL

9 Likes

My aunt that passed away couple months ago has some chocolate mint plant going that thing smells amazing though lol

5 Likes