General use Gardening thread

Nice one man. I think i may.

3 Likes

I planted mine in a big ol bucket.

3 Likes

I love mints! Especially that chocolate mint. And the pineapple mint is incredible too! I just got sick of them going everywhere. It’s been years since I’ve had any and I still find random escaped ones. The best thing you can do for those aggressive plants is eat them. And eat a lot of them. :muscle:

7 Likes

So did my aunt lol in a big ol cobblestone pot it’s HEAVY AF lol

3 Likes

I planted oregano in it as well.

3 Likes

I need to try this. I haven’t saved seeds in years as I’ve been growing hybrids mostly but want to save some old German seeds. My mom taught me how her grandfather used to save seeds. He would take a plank of wood, cut a tomatoe in half and just smear it on the board then leave it out in the sun. Once it was dry he just scraped all the seeds off. I havent tried it but was thinking about doing it in honor of him, who I was named after.

12 Likes

Seed saving is primal. 🫶🏼

6 Likes

The old timers in my family would squeeze the seeds into warn out hosery and hang the hose to dry. I remember the hose was usually purple.

8 Likes

The best part about squeezing or washing the seed pockets into a bucket with a little water is let it sit a couple days and the gel will wash off the seeds with a shake or two. Then the seeds sink to the bottom and you can carefully pour off the water. Dump out the seeds on a paper towel. The other ways i tried had dried tomato parts on the seeds that i couldnt separate.

13 Likes

26 lbs macerated for 32 hours made 25 pints of papple jam.

Then we cut another 26 lbs of pears for the next round of maceration. And canning/ cooking.

Ive been jamming since 930 this morning…

9 pints are cinnamafied
Got another 30 lbs of papples going to fruit leathers

17 Likes
8 Likes

Looks like you’ve gotten yourself in to quite the sticky situation.

3 Likes

Funny you say that my brother got pretty sticky. Me not so much. I got burned a bit. Didnt get cut. Did pretty good. He was sticky af, soon to be again in a day and half. Were starting on the pear jam. Then its time for Blackberry jam…

4 Likes

Looking great bud. Thata alot of jam

2 Likes

Thanks man.

2 Likes

Just canned 4 more pints of tomato sauce. This batch came out perfect. Went and picked some more tomatoes yesterday. Ive got more ripening up. Going to probably make out with a few more pints. Wooooot

14 Likes

5 hours and 8 quarts of apples later. It’s a lot like work when you are doing it by yourself :hot_face:. Started macerating pears for pear jam.

14 Likes

Great work man.

2 Likes

Night blooming cereus plant flowering

8 Likes

The plant is actually a family heirloom from the 1970s. I had to cut her back a decade ago to stimulate growth but she’s thriving now

12 Likes