Goji OG and her crosses

I Like the name merlot og I thought of naming a strain just merlot at one point but decided not to sense ocean grown seeds had already coined the name merlot og. There breeding looks interesting and I’m surprised to hear the back story about grandaddy being mostly a south afghani line. I was in the medical scene pretty heavy when grandaddy first dropped, clones were $50 dollers compared to the 5 doller price of most others at the time. This strain Showed up commercially at the peak of purples being popular in california and i was always told it was a four way cross of mendo purps, sr71 purple kush, grape ape and lavender. The true purple grandaddy is as dense as can be and is at least 80% purple color regardless of temps. within a year dozens of grandaddy cuts were around that had the smell and taste but not the color.then the ones with the color showed up but were much less dense. I myself found it to be a rather generic purple taste and the dense structure makes for a mold magnet outdoors with a very tiny harvest so I never kept the cut. I did how ever cross it to cherry pie and have yet to explore those seeds. It’s amazing how every strain from the medical boom has multiple different creation stories, it’s almost as convoluted as religion lol.

6 Likes

Thank you buddy.

Im originally from NY. But I’ve been based out of Olympia WA since '14

Laat year I grew guerrilla on top of a mountain in Napa/Sonoma county at 2,300 ft.
It was epic.

I haven’t released Merlot OG commercially, yet. Maybe someone else has a line with a similar name. It happens all too often in this industry. Like, I came out with Blueberry Muffin, then HSO releases their BB Muffin(theirs is actually quite crappy) so I changed mine to Bluebrrry Muffin Top.

I can get you some Goji once I’ve made more seeds of it

8 Likes

Welcome to the north coast, I used to live in Sonoma near cloverdale , great growing weather in sonoma county . I hope to move back to the south mendacino area by next year, and yes its increasingly hard to think of a name for a strain that hasent been used already.
Crazy as I may sound to everybody else ,goji isent my favorite strain, I smoked and grew it when it first started making rounds and thought it was overly hiped up and dosent remind me of an og at all. I have a bunch of pure goji seeds I was gifted back then I still havent got around to playing with. I apreciate the offer but there are some goji fanatics here that would love to get those.

5 Likes

I will say the F2’s in Goji are better than the F1’s.

The F1’s are quite hybrid aka middle-of-the-road, whereas in the F2’s you can pinpoint how much of what you want. I didn’t find any excellent OG Kush plants in the F1’s, only in the F2’s and IX/Bx’s

Yes, Sonoma/Napa is my favorite area to grow, followed by Mendo and Applegate/RogueRiver Valley of So Oregon. That Sonoma area is perfect for tropical NLD’s that want to go into February

4 Likes

Awesome stuff guys. I’ve heard so much about Goji that I just inherently expect to be disappointed. The f2’s would be a hoot. I may take you up on some in the future, @THCVhunter.

A long time ago, when I was in the service I was living in Bremerton, WA. I was amazed at all of the growing going on, right out in the open as that was 1976. It was pot friendly all over up there at the time, although some common fucker set me up and I got busted trying to sell a pound. He brought the cops right to my house and I wasn’t careful because I knew the guy and I wasn’t trying to be a dealer.

After I got out of the service, and that bust had a little to do with it (I did get out honorably), I moved down to a little village called Eagle Point outside of Medford. I used to love to drive down through the Applegate on the way to the Redwoods.

I only stayed about 6 months as I was young and life was waiting… I moved back to Wash. on the Hood Canal but finally left for Montana and stayed there for 12 years. Skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, and fly fishing… I was a fiend. heh.

I wish I had made some contacts in Souther Oregon and Norcal… we had no idea it would become the heartbeat of the US canna scene. Everybody grew down there then. It was just private mostly.

Cool to hear the stories of people in those places. peace

10 Likes

I’ll put together a pack of Goji IX for OG to repro/preserve for the community

12 Likes

That’s awful nice of you. I’m sure somebody would want to grow them. My grow system is not stable enough yet for me to take it on, nor is my at home schedule. Around fall or late fall will be my time again.

A friend wants me to do an open pollination on his remaining Chocolate Rain regs to make some f2s. That’ll be my first project here and will help me get my feet wet on the process. It’ll be an easy one since we only have 5 seeds to work with. After that one I may be available to do a co-op grow… No way for me to know yet.

10 Likes

Hey @GMan

That Chocolate Rain is that from
Ghetto

I have some of those I was wandering
what they look like.

sorry for the highjack

Bare

6 Likes

Hi Barefrog, these seeds came from Eskobar, and he was selling through Sannies Shop. He did strains like Chucky’s Bride, Boudica, Cheeseberry, … here you go… https://en.seedfinder.eu/database/breeder/Eskobar_Seeds/

He stopped breeding about the time I got back into things 4 years ago or less. I never had the Chocolate Rain, but I read lots of old reports and I’m always looking for a chocolate tasting strain. After he stooped breeding all that was left were the fem version that were made with a raspberry pheno.

A friend on another forum saw me looking for the regulars and he had 5 left. he sent them to me to do the f2s because he had to drop growing for a while due to family. I’m hoping in the f2s I can find that intense chocolate pheno I read about.

Where is Ghetto from? breeder?? seed company? Just curious. peace

8 Likes

Hola Gman

Ghetto is a guy like me
a grower breeder maker
of many seeds.

Bare

10 Likes

I have just a few of those chocolate rain :arrow_up: but they are fem @Barefrog , if you’re wanting them to try I’ll send them to you… pm me if interested my friend.
Gaz

5 Likes

Hola @Gaz29

A great thanks

I do have a pack unopen

so should be fine

Bare

6 Likes

Some “Goji OG” shake. It gets me by until I run a pack. Got that nice nose hair burn on the exhale. I’m gonna try to squeeze in a couple of @GrowHard RHSxGoji…that’s gonna be so good. Y’all have a good one.
-J

Curio’s stuff is so dope. Even the shake is bueno.

8 Likes

HHHMMMM, does not look like any Goji I have grown. How does it smoke/ Taste?

1 Like

Like the batch before it. I’ve smoked probably 4 different breeders locally. I don’t have anything to compare it to I’m not gonna lie. I’m not the best at describing to me it’s got a nose burn finish. I know that doesn’t help. Spicy but smooth.

Unfortunately out here it’s all trim binned and beat to death. I fell away from MJ for a while. I love the Goji tho. Bare blessed me. I haven’t ran an yet. I’m waiting for the tent to vacate. The flavor isn’t great because they sell there dried stuff cheaper.

It’s rough here bro. I do want some homegrown Goji. It might be totally different. It still excited me.:grin: Have a good one bro.
-J

Edit. If you have a pointers or good knowledge. Please I’m all ears. I take constructive criticism. I’d rather know then be retarded on the subject. I’d rather learn something new then buck because I dont.

5 Likes

A pic of my Orange Goji this morning before lights on.

22 Likes

I have some Nigerian Sunshine x Goji OG testers if anyone wants to give them a run. Hundreds of seeds…

I have two NS phenotypes, one green and uplifting and one fuschia and more even keel. I hit them both with pollen from a guy up in Oregon who just grew out his F2s. He also gave me a pack of Goji x Bogglegum.

15 Likes

Wow those both sound great. Especially those goji bogglegums.i would run either for sure. Really glad you signed up here lol

5 Likes

Hey, I might be interested in running those NSS x Goji sometime. I might like trying them outside. I’m finishing up a Blue Orca Haze and a Velvet Orca from Gas. A buddy flipped me the cuts. He’s sitting on a pile of Gas’s stuff. peace

7 Likes

Nice thread @Jetdro
Seems gogi makes some good & interesting crosses

6 Likes