Greek kalamata sativa

I have a friend who is looking for a specific landrace sativa strain to work with and I told him I would ask on here if anyone knew anything or a place to get seeds or a cut. The strain is kalamata sativa from Greece. I’ve heard talk of it a little but am looking for more information.

1 Like

Interested to see what you find. Not heard of this one.

2 Likes

this report is pessimistic but I can’t believe there aren’t some Greek growers keeping it going:

1 Like

The Greek Overgrow contingent.

We’ll find out!

1 Like

There was a guy on another forum I was on that was a regular poster and a grower from Greece. He seems to have a lot of connections and his family has lived there for a long time. Anyways with all that he said he has only smoked Kalmata once or twice in the last 15 years and that it is almost extinct. If I remember correctly like 8 months ago or so he was mentioning finally getting his hands on some and making a plan to start a company just to reproduce them for the world. I really hope this works out. This is the same person I got my greek heirloom strain from. According to him Kalmata has a lemony/woody type smell. My fingers are crossed and I hope to have a piece of history sometime. The growers from there tend to refuse dutch/american genetics and only grow what they have and don’t give seeds out.

4 Likes

Lebanese hashplant is most probably the direct descendant of green Kalamata as culture in Lebanon started only as a replacement for the lost greek hash production in the 30’s. I figure lebanese growers started with the most widespread strain avalaible at the time.

1 Like

Sorry greek Kalamata not green

1 Like

Yo creo que el cultivo de cannabis psicoactivo en Libano es muy anterior a que se popularizara en Grecía…

I believe that the cultivation of psychoactive cannabis in Lebanon is long before it was popularized in Greece…

4 Likes

AFAIK lebanese hash really took off in the 30’s as a replacement when greek government shut down all Cannabis growing. Before that nearly all Cannabis in Europe was sourced in the Peloponese. There surely already was cannabis in Lebanon but on a very small scale and I assume growers would favor a strain proven for industrial use if they were to start à commercial op.
Juste my opinion

4 Likes

Mi argumento es que, según creo, fue la conquista otomana lo que favoreció ese consumo en Grecía. Pero los otomanos tambien potenciaron esos cultivos en Libano…
Piensa, además, que Libano perteneció al Califato Omeya de Damasco mucho antes que existiera el Imperio Otomano…
Eso si, un placer charlar contigo del tema, @TukTuk .

My argument is that, I believe, it was the Ottoman conquest that favored that consumption in Greece. But the Ottomans also boosted those crops in Lebanon … Think, too, that Lebanon belonged to the Umayyad Caliphate of Damascus long before the Ottoman Empire existed … Yes, a pleasure to talk with you about the subject, @TukTuk.

3 Likes

Hey neogitus, how did you find your greek heirloom strain? I haven’t had any luck tracking down seeds anywhere. Any suggestions?

1 Like