Grocery store nutrients

Recently I asked opinions on a water situation I was dealing with . I ended finding a source for nature spring but the drive got old after the second trip so I started using distilled water on occasion mixed with half cup of fox farm ocean forest with some molasses and letting it sit 48 hrs I was told straight distilled was not good 0 PPM . I’m at the point where I’m gona flip to flower and the soil will be depleted soon and the bottle nutrients will come out . I seen a article about banana water which got me curious, has anybody ever used fruits/vegetables as a source for nutrients?

4 Likes

Is is definitely possible to make you own nutes from things around the house. I dabble in KNF/JADAM but the two guys who are really knowledgeable, would be @BeagleZ and @HeadyBearAdventures. Both of these guys run grows on homemade inputs.

I’d spend some time reading through these threads and seeing what’s going to work for your situation.

13 Likes

This list is also super handy…

11 Likes

Yes, you can make inputs out of just about anything. You get out what you put in and there are several ways to go about it. Personally I utilize KNF and JADAM practices exclusively in a living soil bed/beds/EB

Brother @Loggershands(thanks homie) did a good job of tagging my pages so I wont do that again lol, but give them a look-see and if it interests you please stop in and fire away with any questions.

Good vibes!

6 Likes

It’s gonna be cheaper, more effective, and less labor intensive to just use tapwater and simple complete nutrients. Buying distilled and/or driving to a spring is gonna get annoying and expensive quickly.

4 Likes

Tap water is a no go filled with chemicals house smells like public pool after chloramine/sock treatment whenever someone turns the water on ,I had a failed attempt with a familiar proven cutting, after finding spring water I acquired another cutting and everything is fine untill I got lazy at attempted the tap water once more and things started to look bad again so I bought the distilled , soaked some soil for day and good to go . I was just curious about the grocery store growing after reading about banana water .

I’ve spent a couple hours reading thanks for posting very interesting, I’m assuming ash is burnt material like actually on fire burnt ?

1 Like

If it’s safe to drink, it’ll grow a plant. Plants care less about tapwater-level chlorine than you’d think.

You can also dechlorinate tapwater if you feel you need to.

chloramine on the other hand doesn’t de-gas like chlorine and is a cheaper alternative. i have heard that plants hate it but that’s just hearsay.

Yes, ash in the right amount and biochar are great additions to your soil. If you add a boichar it is highly recommended that it be charged first. You can also throw the ash or biochar in the worm bin or compost pile.
There are quite a few people out there experimenting with biochar and ash to try to recreate the Tera Preta soil of the amazon, interesting stuff.

1 Like

Lol no its city water it’s not drinkable unless u want to feel sleepy or sick .city water is for showers laundry dishes not drinking , our pipes are over 100 years old and wood buried in clay over burden 30 to 40 ft deep . At one time they were 6 ft diameter now anywhere from 2 to 3 ft . The city offers a a home filtering system they recommend for drinking and they add the cost to the monthly bill if people want to drink it .

In New York State?

Your prerogative; I’ve just never seen or heard of US tapwater that couldn’t grow a plant.

1 Like

I believe it’s not uncommon for city water to not be recommended for drinkable water especially around the great lakes . I’ve already explained this before and still got push back from people I dont understand why , I also didnt know how many people have tested water in every region of the country . I also dont understand how the water company recommends water be filter before drinking and about once every two months we get a boil water advisory some times every month and a whole community says ya dont drink it but random people on the internet say oh no your fine go ahead and grow with it and drink it . The water comes out grey sometimes brown sometime clear with white speckled debris (that’s when it’s at it’s best ) it smells like chlorine pool and body odor, taste metallic or worst with a side of nausea after drinking . I had mentioned before I was getting a ph of around almost 9 , I was told your ph pen is off or broke I thought probably, talked to the fish aquarium store owner down the street she says oh ya the ph is really high I’ve seen over 9 before . The water stains the sink and toilet yellow and needs to be scrubbed regularly … like every week with steel wool . How did u know I was in ny ? Maybe I mentioned it but I dont remember. But yes NY the place where all tax dallors get sent to NYC but upstate the bridges have rust holes with chunks of concrete that fall everytime a car drives by , the place were a new vehicle last 10 years before the frame snaps in half because salt is dumped on the road every day four 5 months the place where break line and exhaust systems last three to four years , home of the most polluted river/lake/canal in the country . The place where the main water line is well over 100 years old made of wood and with a special mobile camera they found out a once 6 ft diameter water line in now down to 2 ft in some areas because of sediment buildup. I guess I’ll just start drinking it and tell the water company they are wrong the community is wrong the guys on the internet said … it’s fine dont worry . I’m not sure why people think all water is good just because they live in a area that has good water , every time I say my water is bad somebody will say oh no it’s not… they can not do that its illegal bla bla bla the water is bad it’s just they way it is