Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

No reason to find an alternative, they are fairly inexpensive and come in many sizes and formats. They are a proprietary combination of film layers for different purposes, I have a brochure around here somewhere that came with my order and has a breakdown of the layers I can’t find online. So the answer to what they’re made of is: multiple layers of breathable, high tech films developed for food packaging and repurposed for cannabis.

4 Likes

nice. i’m re-ordering some more, it cured some of the best weed i’ve smoked in those, after 3-4 months cure i put 'em in jars for smoking and froze the rest in sealed mylars, i don’t know how that’s gonna go haha

i don’t want to re-use my old ones, i’m sure i can tho, it’s more just for peace of mind

3 Likes

I’m still on my first cure with them but after six weeks I’m convinced, it’s better than my jar tech for sure. I’m going to reuse them but probably not forever, I figure I’ll get a few cures out of each big sack? Probably going to move long term storage to jars too, maybe vacuum sealed and frozen, but I’m a ways off yet from having that much weed in reserve.

3 Likes

Brother, I may have misunderstood your second question. If you are asking for alternatives because you cannot get the bags where you are, many people like to use the plastic roasting bags that you can get like this, they are made of a better plastic than Ziplock bags and hold in scent better. Those have to be vented (“burped”) daily in the beginning and then every once in a while as the buds cure, just like glass jars. We like these Grove bags because they make that process unnecessary, but it still works well and is how most people do it, in the jars or turkey bags.

download (3)

4 Likes

Exactly why I was asking lol…
Thanks for answering brother…
It is frustrating that I cannot even get basic stuff like these where i live …

2 Likes

@alwaysnoob It is okay, these are a new thing and even people who have been growing a long time and can get anything they want still use jars. I think these will become more common, because they are good, but the jars and oven bags will never go away because they are cheap and easy to find and they do work well. You can get very good curing with nothing but clean brown paper bags and recycled glass jars that have been cleaned and sterilized.

We have a thread here that is all about drying and curing if you want to read more about the process or ask any questions and get some advice:

1 Like

I have a few extra grove sent me lying around, send me a message I’ll mail you some depending on how out there you are.

4 Likes

Thanks brother!

But i live in a very far away country, even the seeds take more than a couple of months to reach me…
The postal charge wouldn’t be practical and there’s no guarantee that it will reach me at all…

1 Like

Been a minute since I updated but the bags are not impervious to a dry house. I will say they are resistant but not unaffected. I have bovedas in everything at this point to keep things in range. To be fair the house is between 20-35% humidity though so the fact that they’re fighting that as hard as they are is a win in my book.

3 Likes

So, I wanted to share this article which is a good overview of the basic concepts that Grove is applying to cannabis. They have patented their system of layered films as TerpLoc.

The basic idea is called passive modified atmosphere packaging, which is a phrase Grove finally started using.

This is a description of their bags by the owner/founder Jack Grover:

"CAN YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR PATENTED TERPLOC™ TECHNOLOGY?

Absolutely. TerpLoc™ is a multi-layered film designed around the six essential conditions for successful cannabis storage and curing. The durability of the vessel, the ability to maintain odor for discretion and compliance, the ability to maintain ideal oxygen levels of about 2% oxygen to work with the plant’s natural respiration process to maintain the anti-static environment in order to prevent the trichomes from falling off the buds or into the plastic, which is another key reason why we are an FDA approved material. But lastly, we maintain a 52% relative humidity level using our proprietary blended layers of film. Most of all, we also maintain an environment that’s ultra-violent protected because ultraviolet light degrades cannabis more quickly and more totally than anything else. So those are really the core components of TerpLoc™ and how we achieve them. For example, if you look at salad bags in the grocery store and see a bag of salad, the lettuce inside would wilt on your counter in a few hours but it stays fresh in that bag for weeks. It’s not because that bag has been flushed or purged of oxygen (it has been) its because that bag is made of special blended structures designed to respirate and breathe as if they were operating as the natural lungs of those plants keeping them fresh and preserving both their vitamins and nutrients. This is the same idea of what we do for cannabis, a tailor engineered product for the unique physiology of what we’re trying to package."

There’s a podcast interview with the founder here that I have to listen to soon:

This is the patent for TerpLoc, held by Kinzie Advanced Polymers:

Grove Bags is just the DBA for a part of the Kinzie business, I believe this is Jack Grover striking off from the larger family business into the cannabis market, Kinzie is a big manufacturer of modified atmosphere packaging in the US, so they have the technology backing to make a high tech new product and not just relabel lettuce bags or something:

1 Like

This is that brochure, I found it:

1 Like

Glass for me. I have 2 year old jars still at 62 no boveda

6 Likes

Thanks for that. I better check my older stuff.

1 Like

I put meters back in them but they all had the right feel. I left some of my first test buds in them to see how they do over months. I should have left the meters in just in case but I didn’t.

This is definitely good for me to know; I’m a desert rat, so regularly in the teens as far as RH. After reading here, I was thinking these would solve my hydration issues, but in this climate I guess there’s no one solution.

2 Likes

Put them inside a Grove Bag, inside a jar, inside a sealed ammo box. Problem solved. Easy peezy!
Always
:thinking:
lol

3 Likes

Don’t forget the last step: bury it.

3 Likes

I thought that was implied. :laughing:

2 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures
You must be a prepper. :laughing:
Not a bad thing to be, I’m thinking.
Use PVC piping though. That’s harder for “them” to find. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The other thing I’ll note is that once a boveda is tossed in it’s definitely doing some heavy lifting cause I’ve had to replace crunchy ones a few times.

4 Likes