Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

Oh yeah! Thanks @hawkman . My mind is scattered lately.
I did smoke some that had been in the freezer for a few months. It smoked just fine imo. The high was there as well. Actually, I liked the way that is turning out. It’s still going to end up as hash but I know it’s there if I need smoke.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

that’s good to know - Do you use the dry ice method (hash) ? sure is easy, easy

1 Like

This will be my first attempt at making hash. It’ll just be what I make with the bubble bags. I will work my way into other methods but I want to try this first. I still haven’t come up with the cash yet for the bags. Too many things keep coming up.

4 Likes

have a place ti get bags ? (“Bubble Man” but they are expensive can get bags at 1/2 the price he is asking

1 Like

No. I have not been able to set the cash aside yet. I’d be interested in a less expensive setup. Absolutely.

1 Like

A bit of more careful analysis.

Refer to this post that explains the need for initial burping on the Grove Bag: First grow after a 40 yr break, 1 plant, DWC, LED 450W - #163 by MrWizard

After burping to get the humidity back in range I left them alone for 30 days.
Cure 1 = Grove Bags
Cure 2 = Canning Jar
The first red line is where I opened the Grove bag for the 1st time and removed some bud, then resealed.
The 2nd red line is where I open the Canning Jar and removed a bud.

Notice that throughout the 30 days the Grove bag held the humidity very stable, where the humidity in the jar slowly crept up from 64.2% to 66.3%. After pulling the bud, the humidity in jar dropped back down and slowly rose, like you would expect from a burp. Also worth noting, there was only about 15g of bud in the jar, where there was about 70g in the Grove Bag. So I would have expected a lot more available moisture in the Grove Bag.

The bags definitely regulate moisture judging by this. Next time I will do this same test between a jar and the bags using the same weight of bud. Having such different amounts of available moisture I think skewed the results. Had the weights been the same I suspect the delta would have been even more extreme. In fact I bet I would have had no choice but to burp the jar more frequently.

7 Likes

Great data as usual, thanks for sharing! Both graphs look good but the green does appear a little more stable. If we can use the moisture meter 11% method to avoid burping then I think we’d have a winner…

I’m probably 2 weeks out from my first attempt at a grove bag., I just placed my order for a bunch of them yesterday, as well as a moisture meter and a bunch of RH meters.

I’ll use the moisture meter to see if a drying stem is at 11%, and then bag the buds on that stem.

I’ll be putting an RH meter inside the bag, visible through the window.

It wont be as useful as seeing the data on a graph, but hopefully I can monitor the RH and make sure it doesn’t get too far out of range one way or another and maybe that will tell us more about the viability of the bags.

Thanks again for sharing!

4 Likes

I bought the extech model for next harvest. Hoping the 11% thing is the magic ticket.

6 Likes

If you are going to use the inexpensive cigar humidor type sensors, I have seen some variability in them.

I suggest putting them all in a tubberware with a Bovieda 75% pack so you can calibrate or offset your RH meter readings as appropriate. Some may be over, some under, etc…

3 Likes

I think that’s a good idea.

Mine are cheapo ones from amazon and they are all accurate +/- 1% of each other.

I have 18 humidity sensors :rofl:

3 Likes

I got the same meter.

I have some boveda/integra humidi packs I can try to see how close the RH meters are. Hopefully not toooooo far off :slight_smile:

1 Like

If off, put a sticker or mark listing a + or - offset value. I.e. +2.1% or -1.8%
It is hard to remember which is what after a few weeks if you dont differentiate them…

2 Likes

I’ve been using jars, and unless you can vacuum the air out, it will still oxidize over time. I found a jar of SSDD that hadn’t been open for a year and a half. It was musty and stale. Actually, if you left the bud out on the desk it wasn’t quite as bad and still has potency, but not very palatable.

I’m thinking for long term, vacuum sealing is the only way to keep it close to how it was when you put in the bag.

I’m gonna maybe do some comparisons. @oleskool830 sent me a pack of the Grove bags, so, I’ll do some side by side. I still see them as npt being great for really long term. It’s keeping a relative humidity but oxygen is still in the bag. So, I would guess that oxidation would occur in about the same way as the jar.

I’m still interested in the bags. The humidity is on the insane low end around here, at about 75% of the time. Like in the low teens.

6 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hey @MoBilly, I finally found a set for reasonable $. I got them at Grow Generation Grow Supply (online, and in a lot of the legal states) last year on my birthday, 4/20. Heh. I never treat myself. Soooo…

These bags are from Bubble Magic and my set is only 3 bags but people told me those are the three best sizes. They’a also full mesh bags, not just the bottom of the bag. I think it makes it easier to drain the water. I still haven’t used them either… :confounded:

I paid less than $30. Let me look them up. I think I get a small discount there for being local which is cool. It usually beats online prices after shipping. I’ll try and get right back with a link.

EDIT: here’s the link. $33. I think I paid around $27.

Bubble Magic Bags

Here’s the Page it came from. You can see the prices of the others.

Grow Generation Bubble Bags

2 Likes

Supposedly there is some gas exchange through the bag membrane, it’s not exactly air tight.

I think it’s a one way membrane or something but I can’t seem to find the article.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. My wife and I will check it out. Please let me know how yours works for you. I would appreciate it if you remember. :slight_smile: I know how mine is. lol

2 Likes

@MumenRyder , The way I figure it is that water molecules are larger than the gas molecules that need to escape for the cure to take place. Terpenes stay on the buds but Chlorophyll … are allowed to escape through the sides of the bags.
At least that is how I understand it all.

4 Likes

Hey all, just an update. I found the bigger bags I received, the 4 oz bag, worked great. I did a little over 4 oz in it with room to spare. I think it would have held another 2 z. It did a nice job curing once I got the humidity correct. These maintain the humidity, they don’t seem to regulate it, but that’s ok once you know that. My buds after a month of cure (60%) in there are delicious, gorgeous, and still have a nice barely spongy feel.
I tried one of the small bags labeled “glassless” for a 1/2 z. I found the bud smelled like Chinese inflatable toys after being in there. So I won’t be using those again. The big ones seem to be legit though.

4 Likes

Most excellent! I have not tried to cure in the small bags but like you I found that the large bags work great. I have a 1/2 lb bag I hope to try soon.

2 Likes