Grow bags for sprouts?

What do you have to deal with when recycling your soil?
Do they decompose you do you need to separate them out afterwards?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

@DougDawson thanks for confirming what I suspected. As a grower, sometimes we get that ‘aha!’ moment, and something clicks. Having it verified here (especially by the Dawg) gives me not only the realization that my growing technique is evolving, that it’ll never be the same ol solo–>1gal–>20 gal fabric pot. I’ve streamlined a step, and can’t wait. Price is great. Guess I gotta make sure to get the drain hole at bottom ones, and lastly, think the black ones are a necessity? I don’t think so, and the price difference is kinda dumb.
I continue to grow as a grower, and OG makes a difference in my life.
Now, fabric pots, 10-15-20-30-50. What do YOU use? I seem to keep going up, but think 50 is too much. Im stuck around 15-20. Plants have reached 12’ + with no problem.

3 Likes

Hey man, I just use the white ones. They are woven so don’t need drain holes, they drain fine. The holes I added were to the clear cups I put them in.

As for pots, what do those numbers mean? Lioresal, gallons, some other size designation?

1 Like

Gallons. A long time ago I used 5 gal buckets. Since I worked on a farm, I got a pile of 3 and 5 gal black plastic tomatoes pots. They seemed to work well, but when I switched to 10 gallon fabric pots, the results were impressionable enough to kick me to 20 gallon fabric pots, where I kind of hover around now. I do have some 30s and a few 50s, but then when your looking at quality soil and $, 50 gal fabric pots became an issue.
However, now I get my soil from a compost/soil expert, by the truck load, at Martin’s Farm
https://martinsfarmcompost.com/

At about 80 bucks a yard, I’m getting a better product at a way better price than some of these local ‘grow shops’ that sell you a bin that’s supposed to be 20-25 gallons for 30 bucks and up. Probably the same compost/mulch/soil mix from the same place.

2 Likes

Well I tell you man, I grow in coco and my last 2 runs were in 0.8 gallon plastic pots. You have seen my plants. I have a bunch of 3 and 5 gallon fabric pots with 5 being the largest I have ever used.

3 Likes

I have seen plants here grown in solo cups that were amazing. I mean, really, one could grow a bean out of a potato hypothetically.
The plants I’ve seen you grow have blown my mind. I guess it all comes down to what you desire and accept as feasible and with results you are content with.
I’ve traveled the North American continent, lived in the Emerald Triangle and Mexico, (but we always come home in the end) lived vicariously through YouTube grows and have followed the path that led me, well, here.
There is no better knowledge base, no superior platform to OG and its tribe. I know I am but a grain of sand in the cannabis ecosystem.
And I can say that I have learned more here, and one other site, that helped me to evolve to where I’m at.
And where’s that? A place of gratitude. A place of blessings. A place where altruism isn’t perceived as something to be victimized, only celebrated. And I grow inside and out every day.
For that I am thankful.
Damn, that corncob pipe still does wonders, lol.
I’m shutting the hell up now.

2 Likes

That is the one drawback in my opinion. The bags are not reusable because the roots grow through them, and they are not biodegradable. It’s not a big deal to separate them though, just a couple quick pulls.

1 Like

And they are paper, so therefore recyclable…

I love them for seeds and clones.

Sometimes I veg in them to.

Eta… When I’m done with them they pull of in one piece, imo it’s unlikely they’ll fall apart anytime soon, they’re not what I’d describe as fragile after use.

3 Likes

So @DougDawson these are 10 inches wide? My math shows 26 centimers is 10 inches but that doesn’t seem right.

3 Likes

Yes, 2.54 cm per inch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m confused, 10 inches wide fits in a cup?

1 Like

LOL, sorry brother. When I copied and pasted it was the dimentions of the package, not the bags. The ones I got came in 2 sizes. Comes with 400pcs in one set with two dimensions: 8 x 11cm/3.15 x 4.33inch (200pcs); 10 x 12cm / 3.94 x 4.72inch. The ones in the pics I showed were the 10 x 12cm / 3.94 x 4.72inch. This is what I got for replying on my tiny phone screen :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Lol, you had me looking like a hound dog, I’m like 10"? Wide? In a cup? Even put the dimensions in amazon search, lmao. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I’m using up the last of my solo cups and ordering today.

2 Likes

These are the only ones I could find that are close. Seems as soon as demand goes up (springtime) the good deals disappear ans the price goes up. Classic supply and demand.

1 Like

It’s still only 7 cents a piece and 200 will go a long way.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of them at all, I will gladly send them to someone that will use them. I have 2 sizes, of them, and hate both equally.
Between 4" nursery pots, that I can reuse for years, and some cheapo plastic cups, for me, are far superior. Give me transplanting over that fiber pot.
Not slagging anyone that uses them. I just hate the wee things for taking so damn long to break down, once in the veggie garden.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why, but the physics of a solo cup seem to be just right for seedlings and seem to stimulate good growth in the early stages.

I try different stuff all of the time, and I recently had 4 new sprouts that went from the small, 4 cell seed pots to some 3-4 inch pots but are only about 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep.

They just don’t seem to want to grow in those, at least cannabis doesn’t. So, my next 3 plants started the same way in the small 4 cell pots, and then I put those into solo cups. Actually, clear cups that then go into the solo cups.

They seemed to just take off, and in a few days I can clearly see roots all the way down. I’ve noticed it before but now I’m convinced. Solo cups will be my second transplant pot.

For cannabis at least, that size and shape is just right for seedlings, and the deep size seems to stimulate the seeds to find the bottom, and when they are ready for their next pot they will have a nice sized root ball/development. Just my opinion… and like Webe, I say the solo cups will last a good long time. I always wash mine out good with soap and water and a little bleach. peace

3 Likes

Started my initial solo cups run for Delta patch with solos. Will be alternating with the grow bags and comparing the results, but yes, Solo cups do have a consistent success rate that one can’t argue with. I made the mistake of using the little ‘seed sprout pods’ that expand when you add water, and had just terrible results. I guess we’ll see.

At the end of planting, I found an ‘unknown’ seed with a strong root. It could be only one of four strains so I double planted and used the green toothpick to mark it as possibly not what’s written on the cup.
4 starting strains, Bruce Banner, Super Skunk, Sunny D, and Banana Republic.

4 Likes

@DougDawson also introduced me to these bags. and like @HeadyBearAdventures said it was a game changer in a good / big way. every thing he said and then some.
cant tell ya how many times over the years i broke off the root ball or damaged that one particular valuable strain seedling removing it from the solo cup for trans planting. now it is as easy as lifting the bag out and up pot, with absolutely no transplanting stress or growth time lost because of the stress. i got mine off of amazon, very inexspensive. the size i got is 5.5 x 6.3 inches. they fill up the large solo cups perfectly and leave just enought above the cup to easily lift them out.
i so enjoy and am thankful for the many great OGer’s here that share a lot of truely helpful growing info.

4 Likes