Grow cam recommendations

That’s an interesting question. First thought is no.

Thought:
Infrared is near the “far/deep red” region. While we don’t believe plants are able to utilize IR (other than for heat), plants do have photo-receptors in the far-red region. If you are giving the plants “far red” (or if some of the infrared spills into the FR region) without the addition of any red, you would be in essence helping a short-day plant get sleep (faster down conversion between the phytochrome Pr/Pfr clock).

Where the boundary between infrared and far-red exists is up for debate.

2 Likes

FYI, you can also turn off the night vision on these cameras. They still have the blue status LED, but a bit of tape fixes that.

3 Likes

It’s funny I woke up this morning wondering the same thing. My doser has a green backlight but that’s not affecting the plant. I figure the IR wouldn’t either. But I didn’t even think of the blue light

3 Likes

The current run in the neglect shed has a brand new shiny zmodo cam, and while I don’t leave the cams “on” 24/7 I did not tape the blue status LED on this one. I have not noticed it affecting the plants in any way, but again, because of my limited bandwidth I do not leave them online 24/7.

2 Likes

I wouldnt worry toooo much about small bits of light, no matter what color. Remember how bright a star filled sky is on a clear night - especially with a full moon? These plants have been doing fine with pretty bright night lights since forever :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s kinda the way I look at it. It can get pretty bright out at night. I’m lucky I guess, I’ve never had any dark cycle issues but I’ve seen plenty.
@ReikoX do you turn your night vision with these? It would be a nice way to have a look during the dark period. Some days that’s the only free time I get.
@Jellypowered dumb question here but do you turn them on and off with a timer or what?
This is something I’ve been wanting to do so it’s great to hear what works.

2 Likes

I had them on for my Jilly Bean grow, and didnt see any negative side effects.

3 Likes

Motorola hubble cameras work GREAT , temps on them motion sensors, night vision, you can get a plan witch will record all motion for 2 minutes and its only like 30 bucks a month

Wait, you have to pay a subscription fee to see your camera recordings?

If you use the zmodo cloud service you have to pay. Otherwise you can only view the last 24-48 hours of motion activation.

3 Likes

Only if you want a recorded video.it will do still shots of motion sensors. But if you want them to record videos then it’s a monthly fee

1 Like

Just wanna throw an idea out there.

Use an old smartphone/tablet and install security camera software like Alfred on it. These days used smartphones are a dime a dozen and some have way better built in cameras than that of the lower end cameras out there. Or just hook an OTG cable to the phone or tablet and use any webcam (or multiple).

Or get your hands on an android box, also becoming more and more available, and hook up an infinite amount of webcams as well.

I know someone who Skypes his plants lol, the possibilities are endless!

2 Likes

That’s a great idea I have so many smart phones just sitting around

1 Like

Well that was a blast from the past! I messed with an old htc incredible trying to get Alfred installed. I think it was to old, I can’t even get market to open to update to the play store.
I forget how much the O.S. has changed. Had to use Google to figure anything out. And try to type on that little screen! Wow. I’ll have to try another phone

1 Like

Can you share the specification of your laptop with me please. I am looking for laptop which is good for engineers. If you have any idea about it so please let me know. Thank You

I use Wyze cams. They’re cheap and stable and have many versions. Just another option for anyone interested.

I get em off Amazon.

1 Like