Growin’ hemp with Lefty (BaOx, Syrian, Lebanese)

Thanks for the hint. I found the Alpha-Cat test kit that might be worth to check out. If I understand correctly I could test 2x4 samples for less than 80€. THCV needs an extra calibration chart though which is $100 for a piece of plastic. lol. I would be fine with “there is a good amount of THVC in your weed” though to learn about the effects, don’t need accurate percentages. The best would be something like a DIY Beam Test for THCV. Needs more investigation, thanks a lot for the pointer!

Yeah I run Cannabiogen that Upstate reproduced. How were the effects for you?

Sounds great, looking forward to follow you adventures. I had that probably Purple Malawi mutant a while ago (probably seed mix up, planted as Durban) that seemed to do nothing and now I get back to it after a long cure and I wonder if it’s either not very potent or just rather “clean”. It does seem to have a creeping effect which is also said about THCV high strains. Need to smoke more of it for science. :crazy_face:

:rofl: Yes I know what you mean. I consider trying it this fall. I doubt I could finish more than one female, but I’d collect pollen too.

8 Likes

This is the Kimbo Limbo (type II) from Hoku. Was hoping for a balanced cbd/thc on this one but my preliminary TLC testing just showed thc and no cbd. I’m planning to test again with some ripe flower though. Aroma is lemon and fuel and very sticky to the touch.

I also picked up Hoku’s Syrian. They obtained theirs from RSC and then did an open pollination and weeded out 30% of any due to slow growth, mutant, etc. per their site description. Price point was really good especially with their recent “national hemp day” coupon.

For freebies they sent “No Escape” which is a cross of their (La Berna x Karmatonic Z) which should be feminized type III cbd dominant. The other freebie was Lolab AC/DC F2.

I purchased a TLC kit from cannalyticssupply.com and have tried a few samples which seemed to work pretty well so far. I see the calibration chart on the alpha-cat site that you mentioned but it doesn’t seem like it would be a necessity. Just seems like an option if you were looking to get a closer idea of the percentage of THCV. But holy crap, $100 for a chart, yea lol. It’s literally this:

12 Likes

When that does happen, it would be nice if a few of us ran some at the same time so we could swap pollen and grow less plants.

7 Likes

Great idea.

1 Like

Well thanks for that rabbit hole to go down. lol. Got lost in that thread on RIU instead of night sleep. :sleeping:

I remember trying to find Fast Blue BB a few years ago and it was just not possible to get as a private person. Maybe there is a way around that. Still a lot of expensive stuff needed and I’m not too happy about the chemicals I have in the house already that I bought for the THC and CBD (Beam) tests.

But it is tempting. Testing in veg would be damn great for breeding. :drooling_face:

7 Likes

That’s exactly the problem I ran into. I’ll probably just pay for some tests when I think I’ve got something and hope for the best. The cost of some of these DIY kits just isn’t justified when I could roll down the street and pay equal or less for a far superior gas chromatography test.

10 Likes

Males and or herms

First pic is male Lebanese. Second and third are from a plant I isolated from the ladies, due to hermie suspicion. It’s one of the BaOx x Syrian plants (upper left in the group shot). The two plants on the right are both confirmed males, no pistils.

Holy shit some of these BaOx / Syrian plants reek… especially that hermie. That thing stinks something fierce already. Burning rubber and skunky smells from are coming the foliage. I’m super curious to find out what these things smell like in flower. Some don’t stink as much, and a few have pretty massive fan leaves. The one on the lower right has 12" fans. They also have some pretty fat, hollow stems.

I’m going to have a tough decision about whether to use the BaOx / Syrian males. It might be safer to apply pollen from the Lebanese. No decisions yet.

16 Likes

Femmy tent

Top pic has one certain BaOx / Syrian female in the upper right. Lower right has one plant that is STILL not showing any preflowers. WTF M8.

Triangle hemp BaOx are looking like they’re about to stretch. They might be a foot taller by the weekend update. :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

Plants are starting to chug. My reservoir dropped a ton practically overnight.

15 gallons more of Lefty’s stage 2 coco brew:

MKP - 11g
Grow Clean - 11g
Epsom - 30g
LHS micromix - 3g
Potassium Nitrate - 14g
Magnesium Nitrate - 8g
PureCal - 46.5g

19 Likes

Here’s some pictures from around the tent. BaOx x Syrians are working hard to catch up to the bushes on the other side. They’re really starting to fill out, and look good. The smaller of the two finally revealed sex, which was a female. I suspected as much, because late show-ers are usually girls.

The male Lebanese is starting to push out the pollen sacs. It’s very squat, and looking like the flowers are going to be prolific. I like it quite a bit. I’m almost certainly going to use it, and it’s a different pheno than the female (as you can see from the leaves).

I may decide to bi-pollinate using one of the male BaOx / Syrians, depending on how they look. I’m not especially concerned with making a lot of different CBD hemp strains. I think I’ll mostly just grow from this set of genetics (Lebanese, Syrian and BaOx) and make selections that I like.

The last pic shows the flowers on the hermie, which is pretty well confirmed at this point. It might be hitting the can before my next update. For the moment, it’s in the male tent, so it’s not gonna hurt anything.

21 Likes

Plant Showcase - Willy G Lebanese

Here’s a few shots of this Willy G’s Lebanese – more NLD expression. Super skinny leaves, but short and with short internodes. It’s quite a nice plant. Less of the blunted, dank smells that the BaOx and BaOx / Syrian have, and more bright and grassy stem rubs.

Since bud onset over the past week, she’s developed really well and become more favorable toward nutrients. Leaf color has brightened up a bit and her leaves have perked. I think she just needed to fill out her root space a bit, and is now ready to cruise. I would like to get pollen down on her by the end of this week. I think I will have some from the Willy G male. She’s probably going to be the first to finish.

24 Likes

Awesome man! Keep the CBD a flowin! :+1:

4 Likes

Super cool projects here @lefthandseeds ;. gonna stay tagging along. If the devil’s in the details, seems like your grow is channeling Beelzebub!
:smiling_imp:

4 Likes

We have liftoff. Have clones of 2 BaOx moms that just rooted. I gave the plugs a little soak in some 0.7 ec nutrients to help them bounce back. These rooted pretty quickly for me. No complaints about that.

12 Likes

I also refilled my reservoir with 15 gallons more of nutrient solution. The girls are drinking it up right now. I think I filled 15 gallons only one week ago, so they’re in full chug mode now.

9 Likes

Damn they’re thirsty! Gotta keep those camel humps full :joy:

That Willy G Lebanese is a stunner too! :star_struck: Nice and bushy :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m really liking her. I think if she does well, I’ll be taking seeds off of her to cross into the baox mom that I like the best.

I’ve got some nice hemp strains going. I’m pretty impressed so far.

6 Likes

Yeah I’m really liking the leaf structure on it. Can’t wait to see how it transforms through flowering over the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Hermie

Here you can see the hermie BaOx / Syrian. I’ve been watching my other plants like a hawk, but I think this is the only one – safely in the male tent right now. It goes to the composter today.

Males

The first couple pics are the Willy G male, which is looking quite nice. The flower clusters are going to be quite large and productive. Leaves are a little fatter than the female, but structure is very similar. Pollen is only just now starting to drop on the Lebanese. I’d hoped it would happen a little sooner, but there’s still plenty of time to get it down onto the females.

The BaOx / Syrian males smell amazing. So far, I’ve seen no signs of intersex in any of the other males or females. I know that they used a pretty good cut of BaOx, so the hermie unsurprisingly came from the Syrian side. However, I think they also used numerous males, because they did a pretty large reproduction. So there’s a good chance I won’t see it in other plants. We’ll see if any pistils come out of these males.

13 Likes

Female tent

These BaOx are sweet. I love their structure and size. They have really nice branching, and I think they are going to yield quite well. They work really nicely in my setup. I haven’t even topped them, and they spread really easily without getting tall or having too much apical dominance. The Lebanese is similar actually.

The tall ones are the BaOx / Syrian. You can see they’re a little more wild, with longer internodes and less uniform height. Their stems are much larger.

This coming week, I should be laying down some pollen. :crossed_fingers:

17 Likes

Starting to make my way around the forum again, glad I caught this thread, in for the show man :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes