Growing on the cheap! Korean Natural Farming

Knowledge is power:) but its okay to be knowledge hungry.

4 Likes

I’ve a question…
Is it possible for Molasses to spontaneously activate?
I mixed 10:1 hot water and molasses, shook and set aside for use.
About once a week I open the bottle, take my 5-10 ml out and recap.
When I open the bottle, it’s pressurized ffsst and there a light foam
around the edge of the bottle.
Smells like molasses, tastes fine, just curious.

1 Like

To me it sounds like fermentation. Depending on sterility it should be fine but don’t taste too much too often, if the wrong bacteria gets in there it could give you the squirts.

4 Likes

if theres bacteria and you feed it it could activate forsure!

1 Like

Being a past home brewer it’s definitely fermenting hope it’s not in glass or could eventually explode if not vented . Is it at room temp? If it’s in the the frig fermentation will slow down tremendously but could still ferment with a wild yeast from getting in there. If your making these OHN products with molasses to stablize then yes it needs to ferment to produce alcohol to keep the nasties at bay but always vent using an airlock like device could be three piece airlock used in home brewing or a simple bung with attached tubing in a glass of water on the side. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Excerpt from wiki:

KNF ferments a variety of materials for use in different contexts. Fermented products are produced in glass or ceramic (not metal or plastic) containers filled to 2/3-3/4 of their capacity and covered with porous paper or cloth. They employ brown sugar or jaggery (BS/J) as a fermentation agent. KNF does not use molasses, which contains excess moisture. Fermentation takes place in a dark, cool area and the results must be refrigerated or kept in a cool environment. The ideal temperature for fermentation is 23–25 °C (73–77 °F

5 Likes

I figured it was a bit of wild yeast, being in a area with many vineyards (miles away) they use the local yeasts so why not. It is in a glass container at room temps but it’s a thick glass, only holds about a cup of liquid at 1/2 to 3/4 full and it gets opened at least once a week. It’s got a slight carbonation and reminds me of Guiness in the way the bubbles float to the top.

Have to make a new batch tomorrow so everything gets run through the sterilize cycle of dishwasher.
Just finishing a run but before I start up again in fall will start my ferments the month before and be ready.

1 Like

I would still go with an airlock method! I had a Carboy of stout one time that was fermenting and the carboy cap got plugged with a cold break material and blew it off in the middle of the night woke me and the girlfriend at the time went to go investigate the unknown noise and found the bottle missing the cap as well as splattered stout on the ceiling ! There’s my homebrewing story for ya Don’t under estimate the powerful pressures of fermentation!

5 Likes
3 Likes

You wouldnt use molasses for ohn. Stabalizing is with alcohol. But like you said let it make its own alcoholXD also a mason jar lid without the ring is a good airlock for cheap.

4 Likes

Expensive forsureXD make it for 10

While picking up some mangos for fermenting, there was a box of prickly pears
marked down cheap so grabbed 4 and it weighed out a .97lb.

Cubed them up and mixed with equal weight of dark brown sugar.
Not sure what Cho would make of cactus, but yucca is a common additive
and I use aloe vera for cloning. Some eat the paddles of this (or similar)
cactus. Worth a try…

Store bought probably aren’t the best, but will keep an eye out for when the
ones here locally turn purple and might grab them for a later ferment.

2 Likes

Yucca would be great for a surfacant. Same with aloe i use aloe and aloe ferments

3 Likes

@lotus710 need to know something. All this ferments… How many mL of each do you use in a gallon of water? Can you throw all of them together in the water for feeding? and if so, how much?

All of the ferments are 1:1000 mls. Cept say horsetail fpj. It would be 1:2000 because ts a lot stronger. you can use a mixture of them forsure but try to keep it around the same ratios. Too many can drop the ph a lot making it acidic but ive never had problems. I dont usualy measure either.

3 Likes

So 1mL of each FPJ-LAB-IMO-OHN during Veg and in Flower 1mL FFJ-LAB-IMO-OHN, per Liter of water.

1 Like

And to enrich tricome production, can i use anything organic?

1 Like

Sounds good. Feel free to mess around with inputs. For trich production you need good genetics. Nutrients dont add trichs. Even if the bottle says it doesXD

8 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA I gotcha, no problem man…

2 Likes

I guess i could sell ya a bottle of max trichs if you want😉

9 Likes