Growing on the cheap! Korean Natural Farming

That’s the word I wanted… More reading…

After reading all the material out of U of H on these techniques, can’t find a
reference to pineapple (being a local crop). Is it too acidic? Not that I need to
start any more ferments, just curious.

But those pumpkins and fall squash are getting the next round.

2 Likes

Nah pineapple is great. Lots of people add pineaple to ferments to speed up the process. Keep an eye out shits volatile.

2 Likes

Aquí se pone junto a las piscinas para espantar mosquitos…

3 Likes

Mejor el fruto y la semilla molida, no?

2 Likes

Well that all depends bro. The leaves are full of minerals! But the seed and fruit are better for pest control:)

2 Likes

Pumpkin ferment turned out nice. Something to add into the rotation.
Have an application question on ferments.

Have been considering a wicking tray under the root pouches, it only
contains the reservoir and is filled mostly with sand/inorganic material
that wicks up through the soil.

It’s not an environment that you’d want to add the ferments to, but if
you add on top the soil can’t hold more than a little watering. Would
you base the ferment dosing on container size and mix with less
water (as in per/gal measured dosage in 500ml water)?

Foliar got away from me this round and left a residue streak down
the center of some leaves. Still adjusting and experimenting.

2 Likes

i dont really understand this that wellXD

this happens to me too i just foliar plain water every day anyways so it gets rid of residues

Well it’s a sub-irrigated planter style where there is a reservoir of water under a
wicking medium - sand, hydroton, perlite, coiled rope, prefer something inert and
nonbiodegradable. This supplies water to the fabric container of soil sitting on top.

The container takes up whatever water it needs and remains at moisture level that
makes the roots happy. Most I’ve seen just top dress with amendments and might
water in a tea. But they can’t use much tea as you don’t want it to drain out.

Just wondered how weak to make the ferment mixture for this method. Not doing
a full watering with whatever gets mixed up, just a top feed to well moisten soil.

3 Likes

ohhhh i got you. i would just follow the same thing. 1:1000 ratio

1 Like

Man this guy, I’m building a couple of SIPs from my recycle bin. Not using fabric pots though. Started watching Grow Tube and Pedro keeps mentioning there and briefly in the Weed Nerd live stream. Are you doing the fabric pots on perlite/lava rock/hydrotron method?

Anyway, the dudes at Grass City suggest you remove the fabric pot, water with nutrients until its done running off, then put the pot back. Pedro uses the Earth Box, which is self contained and has no medium in the res. The uses water with EM1 (LAB will work the same) in his res and top dressed with compost. The LAB will keep the anaerobic environment nice and healthy.

I have no problem adding ferments to dead res with LAB. It won’t smell, will keep it nice and clean. But with the perlite bed, I would be more hesitant. Seems like a lot of surface area for algae etc, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

is that like herbin farmers bed?? he has a big notill bed witih a PVC pipe going to the bottom of it that he waters thru it looked interesting whats it sub irrigation planter ??

4 Likes

Yeah, same concept. Sub Irrigated Planter. Soma beds would be the same thing basically. They are also called Self Watering Containers. Global Buckets are simple DIY setup using two 5 gal buckets.

1 Like

oh so like autopots also would be considered?? how often do you have to water ?

1 Like

Not sure, just started going down the rabbit hole.

Yeah, it’s like Pedro and HerbinFarmer use in concept, except it’s in two
separate units. Never thought of removing the container to feed and keep
run off from the reservoir.

In Pedro’s method it’s a solid container for the soil and you COULD get
root bound eventually. Herbin, with the fabric container it would air prune
the roots (if any reached sides/bottom).

How often you water depends on res size, but usually every 7-10 days.

3 Likes

Haha I just mix it into the soil, dunno if that’s good or bad but I figured a lil would never hurt… plants definitely didn’t not like it!

Here’s a site with loads of info on KNF. Sorry if it’s already been posted. Seems some of OPs PDFs are from the same source. Lots of good info out there.

Wanted to share this awesome pdf as well

4 Likes

thanks for the pdf files u have a lot of good info on organic growing I am interested.

1 Like

sugar cane field right outside my house

2 Likes

if your mix fires up and starts fermentation agine just rush it a little by adding vodka or moonshine to bring it down to stability and keep it in a cooler dark place.

1 Like

only problems i had with sip 5 gallon buckets is the outside bucket (water holder) gets algae in the water table but that was with white buckets aswell. i just hit them with some silver spray paint around the bottom. Sip’s is a fungal setup thats why the em1, lab and mammoth p play such a big roll. Also top dress with some imo, growkashi/bokashi maybe even great white. Just keep the topsoil covered with lids or black plastic unless its a sip bed. Me i like fabric beds better like grass roots no-till bed’s jacked up off the floor with air movement all around it for better root development. More so because i like worms. I mean hell they eat whats left over and crap gold lol but sips buckets are cheap and easy as hell to make and grow bangin smoke. Knf and sip’s 5’s i have no clue never tryed that but it might be cool.

1 Like