Growing on the cheap! Korean Natural Farming

The grapefruit are very high in potassium, turn the skins and pith into ashes, place in metal container and put into a fire :+1:

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing that on the ones I eat. Lately. But come spring Iā€™m gonna have little ones , big ones. Way too many ones to peel.!What does the whole grapefruit do. ?
Raw chopped at least.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been saving up to 4 g.f. peels and put staight in fire . small oak fire big enough to heat small pan of water. And putting all ash in compost pile.

4 Likes

Yeah that will work well, if you incinerate the whole grapefruit I think it will be just as good if not better, I usually eat a grapefruit a day, not had any over Christmas though, I have about 60 skins in a bag to cook up soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Are your composting temps getting up to 155 ? With the high heat they would break down quicker over time but with cold compost would take longer some critters wonā€™t care for them but fungi would go to town and help break them down as well I personally would use high amounts in piles or you may be attracting mice and others little critters you may not want around.

5 Likes

I donā€™t have a thermometer, but I fought its getting anywhere near 150Ā°. Winter . Iā€™ll just let them lay under tree and decompose there.

6 Likes

If used an instant meat thermometer before in a pinch before , the turkey oil thermometer works as well pretty good for accuracy, just donā€™t let the significant other know your plans! Lol

7 Likes

I have been for the last 3 years just take the oak leaves, various vines, grasses, fruits, veggies add ( to this pile 20 gals.) Cow manure. Cover. Let nature do itā€™s thang. Turning so often . winter, mild, but winter. I know nothing about turning up heat. ā€¦ ???

8 Likes

Higher Nitrogen components will get your temps up Fresh cut green grass , is what I use you could dried blood Meal ,fresh chicken poop , weeds and such ,itā€™s not Advisable to get over 160 , 130-155 Is your happy spot if your hot composting and will kill all weeds seeds within 2 days at that temp .

7 Likes

Thanks
Learn sump new every day

3 Likes

Here is a good article I was just reading yesterday about some advanced composting technique by actively aerating your compost pile. Interesting at any rate.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Slooooowly catching up on the thread. Tomorrow i hope to be caught up. So nice to see so many familiar names on this thread. Good people find good ways to growā€¦ A question. If i germ seeds tomorrow, what is the first thing,( aside from more research of course) i would need to get started with this method. My comfrey and the local nettles are just waking from their winter slumber. I have a compost pile that is nearly thawed, and i just added a bunch of biochar to it. I have a pile of rotted ( no o2) horse manure and a rotten log. What else should i hop on quickly? Should i make LAB first thing? Like tomorrow? Thanks for any help. This current natā€™l emergency is reinforcing my belief that i should not be dependant on Fox farm soil and espoma fertilizer. Iā€™m into this and eager to get started. EDIT. I also have an unused ( so sad) vermicompost bin.

3 Likes

Hey @lotus710, thanks for doing this thread!
Lots of good reads, esp now in lockdown.

2 Likes

For seedling mix, you can do 50 /50 worm castings and fine peat moss. It works really well for all stages of early to mid growth. Youā€™ll only need to water but doing a worm tea plus some seed sprout teas will really get it going.

2 Likes

What do you recommend for seed sprouting teas? Do you wait for the first set of true leaves to form before applying like in other styles of growing? Castings are pretty expensive where I am. No Gardner and bloome here. Biggest bag I can find is 20 lb, and I always get a little nervous about ordering, as I donā€™t want to raise any suspicions. I do have a 20lb bag, and also a large bag of perlite . I think I read somewhere on the knf thread here that you guys donā€™t use perlite though? I have a nice healthy compost pile, and a large pile of rotted horse manure. I also have last yearā€™s soil, thatā€™s been sitting out all winter. thereā€™s plenty of rotted wood around the area as well if thatā€™s of any use.

2 Likes

Every time you turn the pile over, or fluff it up so to speak, you get the little micro Life numbers skyrocketing. The actions of this microlife will actually heat up your compost pile. Certain microlife prefer different temperatures. Some can only live till letā€™s say 150 degrees, (an example) at that point another type would take over. I donā€™t know too much about it, but I have been able to hot compost. Just stick your hand into the middle of the pile and if itā€™s hot youā€™re doing it right. I have read that a minimum size pile would be 3 ft by 5 ft in order to make more heat than it loses. But I have managed hot composting in a 3-foot by 3-foot pile approximately two-and-a-half to three feet tall. I usually end up doing a mix of hot composting and cold composting. I remember to oxygenat it the first week or two, but after that itā€™s left alone until itā€™s finished.

3 Likes

Barley , , corn and mungbean teas are what I use from time to time. Iā€™ll see if I can find that Kaligrownbudz video that employs most if not all these teas.

3 Likes

Lol! I see what you did there! Very punny!

1 Like

Well shit! Looks like YouTube just deleted his old channel fuckers! He might have them on instagram though!

1 Like