Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

Hello OverGrow.

It is a hot July 4 and I don’t feel like getting all sweaty today, so I thought I’d do an update. Since the Durbans (from FDM Seeds, via @Jellypowered) and my LowRyder x LaDiva (from @ReikoX) haven’t changed in their overall look since last time, so I am just doing trichome shots of them today. The trichomes shots were taken with my handheld digital 20X microscope.

Here is #74, she is the bushy type Durban female:

It was a difficult focus on the Durbans because the buds spread out more than the LRxLD auto, and the focal distance is too great of a difference across the buds.

The next is from #75, the tall one:

It is flowering day 62 for both of these ladies. The trichomes are not uniformly cloudy yet, let alone amber. Also, both are still adding new pistils and bud material. As anxious as I am to try it out, I remain patient as I can be.

The next photo is #80, my LRxLD auto.

The top bud is smaller and flatter than the Durban female’s so more of it is in focus. This plant was germinated 83 days ago. It’s trichomes are very cloudy and it is showing no signs of additional growth.

Here are the new autos I put in a month ago because I had put too much time on the Headbands I was having trouble with and neglected to start more photo period plants.

They are both female. I can’t wait to see how big her buds will get without growing seeds.

The next time I grow out autos, they will be from the seeds on #80 and one will get pollinated with daddy’s spooge to make F1 seeds.

Finally some joy on my baby (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine (from @Kalgrae, via @Jellypowered).

I was wrong last week when I said all three of my first seedlings had dampened off. Only 1 had. I left all three in their pots an extra day. I’ve been wrong before about what is ailing my plants and waited one more day before uprooting all 3. I may be wrong about even the one being dampened off. It had a long, beautiful root, but never came out of its shell. When I helped it out, I found the starter leaves were just thin film-like things, nothing to grow. Very strange looking. The image of a dampened off seedling that @legalcanada posted in another thread had a similar odd look to it in the middle of the stalk.

The other 2 had looked contorted and dried out. The next day, I took a very close look (with a 5x visor magnifier) and realized what had looked like they were all dried out was just the nutrients that hold the starter leaves together. Both were still “glued” together by them. I carefully supported the seedling (#96) while scratching at the “glue” with a sewing needle. When I scratched enough away, the leaves on one opened a very small amount and continued to do so throughout the day. I did the same to the 2nd one (#97). It made no change that day. I fully expected to uproot it the following day. I didn’t want to say anything about it right away in case they ended up dying out anyway.

The next day, #96 was already spread open and had the first set of serrated leaves. Number 97’s starter leaves were still stuck together, but now had 2 very tiny serrated leaves coming out the sides. A closer inspection revealed that I had probably not use enough pressure when scratching at the “glue” on this one (fear of damaging the seedling) and the under side still had a connection at the thickest part of it. Once I removed that, #97 also looked better each time I looked at it.

Numbers 96 & 97 are maturing at a slower rate than 98 & 99. The former are older by 9 days, but look nearly the same age in this photo. Not sure if they will stay being slow or will grow more normally from now on. Either way, I now have 4 (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine seedlings. As long as at least one is male or at least one is female, I am happy. As usual, I’ll be updating regularly.

Lastly, here are my ST4 seedlings I purchased from @Baudelaire’s FDM Seeds:

Number 82 is the one I chose to become a pollinator, she has had to STS treatments. I used a lot less on the 2nd application than the 1st. The 1st time, I made sure the entire plant was dripping STS. This time, I just sprayed the tip of each branch, each node, and the underside of the leaves. It continued to be wet for an hour-ish while it relaxed under the flood lights I setup for photography. Some of her pistils are in atrophy.

The following is a shot of 82’s midsection:

I wanted to show her very thick stalk. The stalks of 83 & 84 is just as massive. FDM Seeds website says to expect large buds from the strain. The thickness of the stalk is likely nature’s way of preparing for that.

Numbers 83 & 84 are looking very healthy. I’m not sure if I’ll even pollinate these. I took 2 cuttings for this purpose from the same plant that is getting reversed because I really like its shorted, sturdier form.

Question for experienced breeders: Can a femmed plant be part of the F1…etc tags if I use the original pollen and germinate its seedlings, then pollinate them with daddy’s fairy dust, or is that only possible with regulars?

Good wishes to all.

Celebrators, I hope everyone has the same number of fingers they started the day with.

Cheers,
C50

5 Likes

Hi fellow cannabis agriculture enthusiasts

I have a new addition to this grow show. As I’ve said here (and other threads :slight_smile:), I’ve been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on about germing old seeds. The femmed Headbands from brother @Scissor-Hanz got me started. While I have had some reason to be hopeful that I’ll get them (and most of my newly found old strains) I haven’t gotten them grown yet. I stopped using them for trials because I have a lot more of my old seeds to play with. I had set aside the OG Kush I got from brother @Sebring for the same reason. He was giving away seeds that were already old and he saw no chance in the near future to grow them out himself. I assumed they would be difficult to germinate as well.

I decided to count the OG Kush to see if I had enough that I could test some now. I had 76 of them. I found that there were some very cracked shells on a handful of the seeds. I took 4 very cracked seeds and 2 whole seeds to see just how difficult they’d be to germinate. I put them in a 2 oz container and poured what I am calling my seed solution atm. The solution is 5 parts my RO water (the system I have actually adds about 14 ppm of calcium and magnesium) and 1 part 3% H2O2. I also added some Ful-Power (fulvic acid) to what equals 35ml/gallon. I shook them to get a bit of a scrubbing action on the seeds surfaces and let them sit until they sank. The broken shelled embryos were sunk at 8.5 hours and I removed them. I left closed the container and checked every couple of hours to see if the whole seeds sank. They both sank by 48 hours. I put them on top of a pre-moistened paper towel folded to be 4 layers.

The solution I used to moisten the towel was the seed solution with sprouted seed tea (made from malted barley) to what amounts to 8 oz/gallon, and my CNS17 Grow formula to the amount of 10 drops/gallon.

I moistened it until it puddled up on the towel then just poured off the excess without squeezing out the towel. I closed the container to hold in the moisture and put it on my old style heating pad which was around 90° F (32° C).

8 hours later, this is what they looked like:

I was very surprised to see this, I really hadn’t expected it to be so easy. It seemed as easy as my old method of putting some seeds between paper towels put them on a heating pad until most pop, but I am sure this works well on moderately old seeds and will continue to use it for all seeds.

I guess I’m going to need to squeeze them into my schedule. Since these are one of the strains I purchased the STS for, it will go into the Male Room, leaving me only 1 plant to shoehorn into Flowering. This does mean I need to stop germinating for a month or don’t grow out what does germ, because I have space to spare since my son and his fiance moved out, I don’t have enough lights to expand yet.

While I am have your attention, is anyone unhappy at me for posting your name for gifting me seeds? If so, I am very sorry to have used your name without asking you if it was OK.

I was reading this thread earlier: https://overgrow.com/t/do-not-ask-for-free-seeds-in-pm/11368 and someone mentioned that they get deluged with PMs asking for seeds when a member makes their gift public. That never occurred to me. I had given @99PerCent a shout out when I heard heard given someone seeds just because he is a nice guy. @99PerCent, I am sorry if you ended up getting pestered because of my action.

I only have done this, with 99% and the generous individuals that have given me seeds, because I thought you all deserved some kudos for your unsolicited generosity.

As a result, I will no longer name a generous benefactor unless I have asked that person ahead of time. I can see how getting deluged with requests for seeds can be very flustering.

C50

Edit 1: Removed jpg because it was the wrong one
Edit 2: Added the correct jpg

7 Likes

It’s all part of the game.

Thanks for your consideration.

3 Likes

I’m really happy to see you’re getting older seeds to germinate. I’ve had some troubles with them in the past and I’m going to start following your method! Thanks for detailing it :thumbsup:

2 Likes

good job at sprouting them seed 99 percent.

2 Likes

The seeds from you brother,@Sebring, were much easier than the Headbands or my really old seeds. They they were likely years older.

The 1 with the longest tap root has shed here helmet and the rounded leave were starting to unfurl. I let the other go an extra day. Its tap root only grew about .020". I put it in coco early yesterday afternoon. I used new CocoGro to fill the 4" square pot. I made a hole in the center approx. 1" dia x .75" deep, filled it with the recovered CocoGro because it is finer. Watered with: 8oz seed solution, .5 tsp molasses, 2 drops Superthrive, 1.0 oz sprouted seed tea (made from .25 cup malted barley and .5 cup RO water). I put a humidity cover over it made from the top of a clear 2L soda bottle and set the temp on my seedling mats up to 88°.

Fingers crossed about seeing some difference tomorrow.

Your welcome. The next time I try the very old seeds will be in at least 2 weeks. when I do, I’ll be using the germination bomb documented in this post from @MadScientist: Germinating old Seeds
Farther down in the topic is where I started my seed trials, documenting as I go.

Thanks for taking an interest :heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

My son came up from Florida Tuesday. It seems like he was gone longer than 6 weeks. He was surprised I moved everything to places I like them. Surprisingly his bed is still here (one of the reasons he came up is to bring down their furniture) and it didn’t feel familiar to him after sleeping on a different mattress for the last 6 weeks.

We spent the last 2 days replacing all the bedroom windows. So nice to have new windows! They keep out more noise as well as heat/cold.

My ready to harvest LowRyder x LaDiva (from the generosity of @ReikoX). She’s hanging out with her much younger sisters. She looks pretty small compared to them.

I harvested her today. I couldn’t wait anymore to try it, so I removed a bud yesterday and broke it up to dry it on a heating pad. Notice the gap on the left side of the cola. That is where I snagged the bud from.

When I was done, I put a small piece under my microscope, the laboratory scope. I tried shooting some pictures using my phone and an adapter that lets me attach it to an eyepiece.

At first, it didn’t work as well as I’d have liked because the phone kept auto focusing on the wrong details. When I stopped trying to fight the camera’s need to focus on something and showed it where I wanted to focus it on, the pics started coming out pretty good. The series above required 2 manual focuses, the others where the auto focus.

I saw amber trichomes and milky white trichomes, but no clear trichomes. It is so much more apparent under the good optics that it was under any of my handhelds. Today was 92 days since I put it into germination.

Any more updates will need to wait until tomorrow. I ache all over from wrestling windows and working in the hot sun.

See y’all tomorrow,
C50

10 Likes

Nice job, hope you enjoy the smoke. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

@ReikoX:
My son and I smoked the bud I took off. The quick dry left it tasting a bit off, but that happens with quick drying.

The buzz was good! I can’t wait to see how she tastes and smells when properly cured. Interestingly, I had taken a small branch from each Durban last week (like the energizer bunny, they’re still going) and took the week to dry them. They smell different now that they are dry. Most notable is number 74 (the bushy Durban), she has a piney smell in the Flowering, but now that she is dried, she has a more citrus aroma. This is so much fun!

6 Likes

I literally couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you, @ReikoX! That seems so in adequate for a gift that will last as long as your gift will. I gave 80 a little upside shake into a plastic container and a couple of dozen seeds rained down, with many more expected after curing. I am absolutely looking forward to smoking it more after a proper cure. :smoking::dizzy_face:

Have an awesome weekend, my brother :heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

The F2s should really start to show the variation in these genetics. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

@ReikoX, I have 2 more females coming up, but they are still from the seed you sent me. Mama hadn’t starting dropping seed yet. In a couple more weeks I’ll start some from the new seed and see how well the fruit of Daddy’s loins held up in the freezer. I’ll scoop out enough to do the job and put the rest right back into the freezer. I’m kind of excited to see how it turns out. :four_leaf_clover::smile:

2 Likes

Hey all, I bring you some updates.

I’m not going to post any Durban pics tonight. They haven’t changed much since the last set of pics and they are awkward to move, especially 75, the tall one. I’m patiently waiting for some amber to become prevalent under the microscope.

In the meantime, I have 4 (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine (from @Kalgrae’s pollen chuck give away, thru @Jellypowered and his compassion for a fellow grower that has been growing the same 2 strains for too long) reaching skyward.

One of the 2 older seeds (the ones that were “glued” together), 97 has become completely normal. The other, 96, had a defect of some sort and grew only 1 hand for each of the first couple of layers. The next looks like it will be that way as well. However, each new leaf that grows looks much healthier than the last. I believe it will be normal in a short while.

98 and 99 have been normal from the start. They are catching u[p on 97 quickly. 97 is starting its 3rd layer of hands, 98 & 99 are starting their 2nd layer of hands. My hopes for these 4 seeds it to have at least 1 female and at least one male. That is the same hope I have for each of the first grows I do.

My next couple of seeds are OG Kush (feminized) from brother @Sebring’s collection.

One of them had a 10mm long tap root when I planted it. Here’s what it looked like just 10 hours after planting it:

That one has been a little spindly. I added more coco to the top of the container to support the stalk and that seems to be all it needed for support. She is growing her first set of hands now. This one is giving me a real feeling of accomplishment.

101 is still working on growing. It was the seedling with the shorter tap root when germed. It’s tap grew more slowly that its sister.

I painted a circle around the embryo/seedling so you can see it. I’ve been keeping moist and letting it almost dry out before feeding it. I am using the sprouted seed tea solution I gave them when they were on the paper towels. I keep using magnifiers to keep an eye on it. I’d think it was dead if I didn’t. I can see small changes each day. Its tap root is out of sight enough that I can’t see it so I don’t know what its doing, but the cotyledon leaves are pulling free of their food supply. It seems to be very fragile, so I am not fussing with it. Hoping it will make it. If not, I still have one OG Kush female coming up and I am very good at cloning. Plus, I still have like 70 seeds left. If I got one out of 6 above ground, I see my chances of getting more from those seeds as pretty good. :wink:

For those of you interested on my reversing trial, I think it is successful. Naked eye, the buds look way off. Using a magnifier, beginning stamen are visible inside the female flowers and the pistils have stopped growing and are going away.

Here is a comparison photo of 84 (my lab rat) and 82 buds. 84 is the image on the left.

The top bud looks very strange. It’ll be interesting to me to see the male buds become visible naked eye.

The last photo I’ll leave you with is the pair of new LR x LD ladies. The first one looked great, I can’t wait to see how they look growing seedless!

Good grows and good cheer everyone.

8 Likes

Looking awesome cobra ol’ buddy can’t wait for a smoke report on that #80!

2 Likes

@Hoodini, me too. It’s going to be a long 10 days…

1 Like

Man C50, you really get them to size-up nicely. did you sow the seeds directly into 2 gallon pots?

1 Like

Some of that seems to be stretch. the 1st 3 node layers have 3-4" between them. I probably should have had them closer to the lamp it the early days.

Yes I did. :smiley: Several people have said autos don’t like the stress of changing pots. I didn’t know that with the first group I grew out and started them in 4" pots and into 1 gal later. This time I went right into large pots in the hope that they will get even more bountiful this time around. :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

@Scissor-Hanz mate,
I have grown auto’s straight to final pots too, but I find up- potting to be better ( for me) as soon as I see pistils I stick em in final pots and i do not too bad, and when the auto’s start to bloom kp feeding grow nutes til maybe stretch is over and bloom nutes when going into full bloom… hope this helps bro…

Nice growing @Cobra50 , what’s your absolute favourite plant you’ve grown on this thread.?
Excellent info on some seeds that a lot of us have, so we can have a look :eyes:here when we crack them…
Happy growing bud,
Gaz

1 Like

@Scissor-Hanz, I must’ve been thinking about my Sweet Tooth plants when I said that, they got that kind of stretching in Flowering. That is not the description of the autos.

Thank you. :blush: They do look really nice.

I think it is in no small part due to the SolSheet original I bought from @Baudelaire’s SolStrip Photon Solutions. When I had my Sweet Tooth vegging under the fluoros right next to the SolSheet, I needed to rotate the order of the STs daily, because the one closest to the SolSheet kept bending towards it. For a small lamp, it makes big light.

@Gaz29, Since I’ve only sampled the Durban’s and my auto of the new seeds and that was a fast dry, I can only say for final result of the buzz quality. For that, I’d have to say I really like the LR x LDs.

As far as growing ease, I think the Sweet Tooth #4 has been the easiest so far. Seems to be the quickest as well so far. The flowering stage they’re at now looks about a week ahead of the actual time they’ve been in there.

For all around aesthetics, I again like the LR x LD. It was a beautiful plant, very colorful. It was an easy plant to grow as well

Thank you. There is more than 1 way to give back the the seed community, I guess. :smiley:

7 Likes

Glad you enjoyed those brother. If you want some of my other Lowryde crosses to try out, hit me up.

2 Likes