Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

When I got home from the store, The power in the area was off. Before I could get battery lights together, the lights came on. After booting up my computers, I saw the power had gone out a bit more than an hour after I had gotten home. :sob: Now I need to find a way to keep 3 different strains separated for flowering. Iā€™ve been working on a flowering area for my males, so thatā€™s one. Iā€™ll have to get more supplies to have a 3rd Flowering area.

I can live with herm seeds. After all, they are fem seeds. But I canā€™t have my girls whoring it up with other strains.

Such an irony. I gave one of my Sweet Tooth plants its first STS treatment 4 days ago. Whatta a waste. :confounded:

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t worry about a short outage triggering intersexual expression in Sweet Tooth. Or most properly bred strains. Itā€™s a good way to identify strains with strong intersexual tendencies though. Even then you would typically need to interrupt light schedules over several days to trigger it.

Glad you are enjoying the Durbans. Thatā€™s the Cali-O x Durban correct? or the mix? Looking forward to your smoke report.

-b420

4 Likes

Growing out 2 of the same in the green house.

Looks like 2 very vigorous plants. A male & a female.

5 Likes

@Baudelaire, it is the breeder mix. Itā€™s probably the reason one smells like onion and the other is more piney smelling. I am definitely enjoying them.

So the plants I got fem seeds from in the past by making a branch dark for 30-60 minutes in 2 applications had intersex tendencies to start with? The 2 (feminized) plants I did that with both got more and more difficult to get to get seeds from with each iteration. I always grew out the latest seeds, because I didnā€™t think it necessary to save the older ones since it was so easy to get them to make seeds.

By the time it had become nearly impossible to make seeds, I had tossed all the old ones, or so I thought. I recently found very old seeds from 6 of my previous strains and I am working bringing them back. Lot of studying and trials to do.

@99PerCent, looking great! Which strain are they?

1 Like

Cali-O x Durban

Ninety Nine

2 Likes

@99PerCent, keep posting them somewhere as they grow. I canā€™t wait to see how yours look compared with my grow. I canā€™t believe the size of the cola on the bushy one!

C50

1 Like

Posting these in the Green House thread.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be sure to visit.

2 Likes

That makes sense on the mix. The variation is greater than Iā€™ve seen with the Calio-O x Durban alone. Thereā€™s some Durban-Thai crosses in the breeder mix that will show up in the taller, narrow leaf phenos.

If you were able to get a plant to throw off fertile stamens by darkening a single branch for just two 60-minute periods, Iā€™d say that plant was highly disposed to intersexuality to begin with. Was the plant feminized to start with?

4 Likes

@Baudelaire, that is just how Iā€™d describe plant #75. I had to bend her over because she was growing so fast I feared sheā€™d out grow my setup. The difference between 74 and 75 is totally wild. They could not look more different. Schwarzenegger and DeVito different. :slight_smile:

The first were regulars. If was difficult to get them to herm. I failed on my first attempt. The 2nd attempt, I darkened the branch fort about a week straight. Once I started growing out the femmed seeds, they were so easy to do that it blew my mind. Several early iterations were easy, then the following ones got to be difficult again. I could understand why. From that point on I grew out the last batch of seeds. Doing 1 branch only made about 100-150 at at time, so that was all I had to work with. I usually only got about 50% germination, so I wasted a lot of seeds as well before I realized I needed to be frugal with them. But, a grower on his/her own without having the benefit of a community like OG can lose a strain way too easily. Those were the days between OG 1.0 and when I found OG was back in a new, improved version.

A lot of what I think I know about growing came from growing in that void. Not the idea for making herms by darkening a branch. I learned that at OG 1.0.

The notion that a plant can be prone to intersex also answers to a question about herm seeds being all female. Those 2 strains (Karpov [Blue Hen x Blueberry] and my Karpov x Blue Widow) in 1st 2 iterations, made a small percentage of male seeds. I never even weigh counted them so I can just guess it to have been between 2% and 10%. It could have even been less. It was probably less of them than it seemed. I remember getting really annoyed about needing to cull out the males. I was like ā€œGrrr. Arenā€™t all herm seeds supposed to be female?!?ā€. So, do you think the tendency to intersex is what also caused the male seeds in a herm pollinated plant?

Thanks for stopping by b420! Donā€™t be a stranger. Iā€™ll be adding some trichome shots of my Durbans and LR x LD as well as photos of my ST4s later.

2 Likes

Very interesting. You said you darkened for a week at a time at first. Earlier you said you darkened for an hour. Did you find a certain time period had the best outcome?

Did you find that the seeds where isolated to the darkened branch, or did it act as a pollinator for the rest of the plant?

Were you able to determine the best stage of the flower cycle to begin the darkening?

Those male seeds were likely stray pollinations from a real male somewhere in your grow. Genetically, females alone can only produce female offspring, they lack the male Y chromosome. Either that or an individual female offspring that was expressing intersex traits so strongly that it appeared male.

So, outside of this branch darkening, did you ever see intersex plants from this seedlot during typical growing conditions?

-b420

Hello OverGrow.

It is a hot July 4 and I donā€™t feel like getting all sweaty today, so I thought Iā€™d do an update. Since the Durbans (from FDM Seeds, via @Jellypowered) and my LowRyder x LaDiva (from @ReikoX) havenā€™t changed in their overall look since last time, so I am just doing trichome shots of them today. The trichomes shots were taken with my handheld digital 20X microscope.

Here is #74, she is the bushy type Durban female:

It was a difficult focus on the Durbans because the buds spread out more than the LRxLD auto, and the focal distance is too great of a difference across the buds.

The next is from #75, the tall one:

It is flowering day 62 for both of these ladies. The trichomes are not uniformly cloudy yet, let alone amber. Also, both are still adding new pistils and bud material. As anxious as I am to try it out, I remain patient as I can be.

The next photo is #80, my LRxLD auto.

The top bud is smaller and flatter than the Durban femaleā€™s so more of it is in focus. This plant was germinated 83 days ago. Itā€™s trichomes are very cloudy and it is showing no signs of additional growth.

Here are the new autos I put in a month ago because I had put too much time on the Headbands I was having trouble with and neglected to start more photo period plants.

They are both female. I canā€™t wait to see how big her buds will get without growing seeds.

The next time I grow out autos, they will be from the seeds on #80 and one will get pollinated with daddyā€™s spooge to make F1 seeds.

Finally some joy on my baby (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine (from @Kalgrae, via @Jellypowered).

I was wrong last week when I said all three of my first seedlings had dampened off. Only 1 had. I left all three in their pots an extra day. Iā€™ve been wrong before about what is ailing my plants and waited one more day before uprooting all 3. I may be wrong about even the one being dampened off. It had a long, beautiful root, but never came out of its shell. When I helped it out, I found the starter leaves were just thin film-like things, nothing to grow. Very strange looking. The image of a dampened off seedling that @legalcanada posted in another thread had a similar odd look to it in the middle of the stalk.

The other 2 had looked contorted and dried out. The next day, I took a very close look (with a 5x visor magnifier) and realized what had looked like they were all dried out was just the nutrients that hold the starter leaves together. Both were still ā€œgluedā€ together by them. I carefully supported the seedling (#96) while scratching at the ā€œglueā€ with a sewing needle. When I scratched enough away, the leaves on one opened a very small amount and continued to do so throughout the day. I did the same to the 2nd one (#97). It made no change that day. I fully expected to uproot it the following day. I didnā€™t want to say anything about it right away in case they ended up dying out anyway.

The next day, #96 was already spread open and had the first set of serrated leaves. Number 97ā€™s starter leaves were still stuck together, but now had 2 very tiny serrated leaves coming out the sides. A closer inspection revealed that I had probably not use enough pressure when scratching at the ā€œglueā€ on this one (fear of damaging the seedling) and the under side still had a connection at the thickest part of it. Once I removed that, #97 also looked better each time I looked at it.

Numbers 96 & 97 are maturing at a slower rate than 98 & 99. The former are older by 9 days, but look nearly the same age in this photo. Not sure if they will stay being slow or will grow more normally from now on. Either way, I now have 4 (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine seedlings. As long as at least one is male or at least one is female, I am happy. As usual, Iā€™ll be updating regularly.

Lastly, here are my ST4 seedlings I purchased from @Baudelaireā€™s FDM Seeds:

Number 82 is the one I chose to become a pollinator, she has had to STS treatments. I used a lot less on the 2nd application than the 1st. The 1st time, I made sure the entire plant was dripping STS. This time, I just sprayed the tip of each branch, each node, and the underside of the leaves. It continued to be wet for an hour-ish while it relaxed under the flood lights I setup for photography. Some of her pistils are in atrophy.

The following is a shot of 82ā€™s midsection:

I wanted to show her very thick stalk. The stalks of 83 & 84 is just as massive. FDM Seeds website says to expect large buds from the strain. The thickness of the stalk is likely natureā€™s way of preparing for that.

Numbers 83 & 84 are looking very healthy. Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll even pollinate these. I took 2 cuttings for this purpose from the same plant that is getting reversed because I really like its shorted, sturdier form.

Question for experienced breeders: Can a femmed plant be part of the F1ā€¦etc tags if I use the original pollen and germinate its seedlings, then pollinate them with daddyā€™s fairy dust, or is that only possible with regulars?

Good wishes to all.

Celebrators, I hope everyone has the same number of fingers they started the day with.

Cheers,
C50

5 Likes

Hi fellow cannabis agriculture enthusiasts

I have a new addition to this grow show. As Iā€™ve said here (and other threads :slight_smile:), Iā€™ve been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on about germing old seeds. The femmed Headbands from brother @Scissor-Hanz got me started. While I have had some reason to be hopeful that Iā€™ll get them (and most of my newly found old strains) I havenā€™t gotten them grown yet. I stopped using them for trials because I have a lot more of my old seeds to play with. I had set aside the OG Kush I got from brother @Sebring for the same reason. He was giving away seeds that were already old and he saw no chance in the near future to grow them out himself. I assumed they would be difficult to germinate as well.

I decided to count the OG Kush to see if I had enough that I could test some now. I had 76 of them. I found that there were some very cracked shells on a handful of the seeds. I took 4 very cracked seeds and 2 whole seeds to see just how difficult theyā€™d be to germinate. I put them in a 2 oz container and poured what I am calling my seed solution atm. The solution is 5 parts my RO water (the system I have actually adds about 14 ppm of calcium and magnesium) and 1 part 3% H2O2. I also added some Ful-Power (fulvic acid) to what equals 35ml/gallon. I shook them to get a bit of a scrubbing action on the seeds surfaces and let them sit until they sank. The broken shelled embryos were sunk at 8.5 hours and I removed them. I left closed the container and checked every couple of hours to see if the whole seeds sank. They both sank by 48 hours. I put them on top of a pre-moistened paper towel folded to be 4 layers.

The solution I used to moisten the towel was the seed solution with sprouted seed tea (made from malted barley) to what amounts to 8 oz/gallon, and my CNS17 Grow formula to the amount of 10 drops/gallon.

I moistened it until it puddled up on the towel then just poured off the excess without squeezing out the towel. I closed the container to hold in the moisture and put it on my old style heating pad which was around 90Ā° F (32Ā° C).

8 hours later, this is what they looked like:

I was very surprised to see this, I really hadnā€™t expected it to be so easy. It seemed as easy as my old method of putting some seeds between paper towels put them on a heating pad until most pop, but I am sure this works well on moderately old seeds and will continue to use it for all seeds.

I guess Iā€™m going to need to squeeze them into my schedule. Since these are one of the strains I purchased the STS for, it will go into the Male Room, leaving me only 1 plant to shoehorn into Flowering. This does mean I need to stop germinating for a month or donā€™t grow out what does germ, because I have space to spare since my son and his fiance moved out, I donā€™t have enough lights to expand yet.

While I am have your attention, is anyone unhappy at me for posting your name for gifting me seeds? If so, I am very sorry to have used your name without asking you if it was OK.

I was reading this thread earlier: https://overgrow.com/t/do-not-ask-for-free-seeds-in-pm/11368 and someone mentioned that they get deluged with PMs asking for seeds when a member makes their gift public. That never occurred to me. I had given @99PerCent a shout out when I heard heard given someone seeds just because he is a nice guy. @99PerCent, I am sorry if you ended up getting pestered because of my action.

I only have done this, with 99% and the generous individuals that have given me seeds, because I thought you all deserved some kudos for your unsolicited generosity.

As a result, I will no longer name a generous benefactor unless I have asked that person ahead of time. I can see how getting deluged with requests for seeds can be very flustering.

C50

Edit 1: Removed jpg because it was the wrong one
Edit 2: Added the correct jpg

7 Likes

Itā€™s all part of the game.

Thanks for your consideration.

3 Likes

Iā€™m really happy to see youā€™re getting older seeds to germinate. Iā€™ve had some troubles with them in the past and Iā€™m going to start following your method! Thanks for detailing it :thumbsup:

2 Likes

good job at sprouting them seed 99 percent.

2 Likes

The seeds from you brother,@Sebring, were much easier than the Headbands or my really old seeds. They they were likely years older.

The 1 with the longest tap root has shed here helmet and the rounded leave were starting to unfurl. I let the other go an extra day. Its tap root only grew about .020". I put it in coco early yesterday afternoon. I used new CocoGro to fill the 4" square pot. I made a hole in the center approx. 1" dia x .75" deep, filled it with the recovered CocoGro because it is finer. Watered with: 8oz seed solution, .5 tsp molasses, 2 drops Superthrive, 1.0 oz sprouted seed tea (made from .25 cup malted barley and .5 cup RO water). I put a humidity cover over it made from the top of a clear 2L soda bottle and set the temp on my seedling mats up to 88Ā°.

Fingers crossed about seeing some difference tomorrow.

Your welcome. The next time I try the very old seeds will be in at least 2 weeks. when I do, Iā€™ll be using the germination bomb documented in this post from @MadScientist: Germinating old Seeds
Farther down in the topic is where I started my seed trials, documenting as I go.

Thanks for taking an interest :heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

My son came up from Florida Tuesday. It seems like he was gone longer than 6 weeks. He was surprised I moved everything to places I like them. Surprisingly his bed is still here (one of the reasons he came up is to bring down their furniture) and it didnā€™t feel familiar to him after sleeping on a different mattress for the last 6 weeks.

We spent the last 2 days replacing all the bedroom windows. So nice to have new windows! They keep out more noise as well as heat/cold.

My ready to harvest LowRyder x LaDiva (from the generosity of @ReikoX). Sheā€™s hanging out with her much younger sisters. She looks pretty small compared to them.

I harvested her today. I couldnā€™t wait anymore to try it, so I removed a bud yesterday and broke it up to dry it on a heating pad. Notice the gap on the left side of the cola. That is where I snagged the bud from.

When I was done, I put a small piece under my microscope, the laboratory scope. I tried shooting some pictures using my phone and an adapter that lets me attach it to an eyepiece.

At first, it didnā€™t work as well as Iā€™d have liked because the phone kept auto focusing on the wrong details. When I stopped trying to fight the cameraā€™s need to focus on something and showed it where I wanted to focus it on, the pics started coming out pretty good. The series above required 2 manual focuses, the others where the auto focus.

I saw amber trichomes and milky white trichomes, but no clear trichomes. It is so much more apparent under the good optics that it was under any of my handhelds. Today was 92 days since I put it into germination.

Any more updates will need to wait until tomorrow. I ache all over from wrestling windows and working in the hot sun.

See yā€™all tomorrow,
C50

10 Likes

Nice job, hope you enjoy the smoke. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

@ReikoX:
My son and I smoked the bud I took off. The quick dry left it tasting a bit off, but that happens with quick drying.

The buzz was good! I canā€™t wait to see how she tastes and smells when properly cured. Interestingly, I had taken a small branch from each Durban last week (like the energizer bunny, theyā€™re still going) and took the week to dry them. They smell different now that they are dry. Most notable is number 74 (the bushy Durban), she has a piney smell in the Flowering, but now that she is dried, she has a more citrus aroma. This is so much fun!

6 Likes