Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

I’m sorry, I just realized I forgot to answer this question, @Mr.Sparkle. They were 90 days from germination, 87 days from sprout.

2 Likes

I have this very strange looking plant. It is #105, one of the Chuy Purps x 2nd sight. The first set shows 105 on 8/14, both front and top views.

Notice how it looks normal with the exception of a very low leaf being rounded.

This is what it looks like today:

I mentioned in a previous post about this and thought it may have been from starting it on bottom feeding before it had enough roots at the bottom. I started top feeding it then, and have been since. However, it looks so much worse now.

I am very conflicted on this. I see 3 choices and I am not sure which one to take.

1- Destroy it.
2- Stick it into Flowering and see if it finally shows its sex (40 days since germ) and maybe straightens out.
3- Prune the weird crap off and see if it goes normal.

ATM, I am not considering option 1. I had 6 of these seeds to start. Two didn’t pop even after 10 days, so I tossed them out. Two were male, one of which is in Flowering. One is absolutely a (normal) female. I have a difficult coming to terms with destroying what could possibly be a 2nd female.

Anyone here ever seen this before? Is it worth trying to grow out? Would it eventually go normal? Answers to these questions would be a great help deciding what to do with it.

2 Likes

Prune some of the crap out and see what LITFA does for it… it’s looking nitrogen toxicity ( tho id call it a wee bit too much nitrogen and could be the start of lockout, check ph and/or flush and LITFA…
Good luck whatever you decide bro,
Talk to you later mate,
Gaz

1 Like

Great looking grow @Cobra50 love those pics on post 167# I’m thinking of growing out some of those @ReikoX beans myself this fall, keep up the great work !

1 Like

2 gallon (8"). I started them in those and, as you can see, my plants responded extremely well to it.

It amazes me when only one plant gets a nute problem. All my seedlings get the same treatment/nutes. All my Veg plants get the same as each other too. I’m still so on the fence about it, that I am leaving it go for a while while it is in the 4" pot. I am not sure I want to waste fresh coco on it by re-potting it.

Definitely do it! These are potent as hell, they smell great and taste good. It is a smoother smoke than I am used to. By that I mean, less coughing. Oh yeah, 90 days from germination to finish. A winning hand!

3 Likes

Hello, OverGrow! I can’t believe it has been 2 weeks since I posted an update. I’m going to do this one in several pieces.

First up is a finished harvest report on the ST4 and the 2 gorgeous LR x LD.

Sweet Tooth 4, 82 & 83 (@baudelaire):
82: 48.0 grams smoking weed; 4.6 grams of bits to hash; 35.7 grams wood
83: 43.5 grams smoking weed; grams of bits to hash; 43.5 grams wood
Notice 83 is 4.5 grams less than 82. 83 is the plant I defoliated 3 weeks before harvest. It was as close to identical to 82 as it could be and finished smaller than 82.

The ST4 clones are 94 & 95. I had defoliated 95 at 3 weeks Flowering. These too, were nearly identical before I did. Now look at it.

The YouTube poster I followed on this claimed to get MUCH larger buds by eliminating the excessive long stem leaves at “3 weeks in Flowering, just after the stretch slows”. This may work on some plants, my last LR x LDs responded very positively to defoliating, but it seems to be detrimental to the ST4, so I won’t be defoliating them again. I’ll just wait until the plant is trying to shed leaves and only remove those leaves.

The high hits quickly, great body high with enough clarity to prevent getting stuck when you sit down. Shorter lasting high than some. This weed plants doesn’t seem to leave a recognizable fragrance when cured. It just smells like pot.

LowRyder LainDiva, 90 & 91 (@ReikoX):
90: 63.0 grams smoking stuff; 3.0 grams hash bits; 17.9 grams wood
91: 58.7 grams smoking stuff; 1.2 grams hash bits; 14.2 grams wood
High takes a few hits to become noticeable. Not like creeper weed, just a little slow hitting me. Excellent body high. It is an easy high to work on, just don’t sit down to take a break, you may not be able to get back up. Good weed for smoking just before bed.

This weed maintains its fragrance it had in Flowering. It reminds me of Lemon Pledge furniture polish. Be careful about leaving it uncovered as the aroma is strong enough to permeate the room in minutes.

What is very interesting is I an ounce got more weed from the 2 little LR x LD plants (121.7 grams) than the big Sweet Tooth #4 plants (91.5). It was an unexpected surprise. It is a tough call, but I think I like the LR x LD just a bit better than the ST4.

Check out what I got from these 2 LowRydinDivas:

The images showing the entire pan are everything that was the plant. The loose bits on the bottom of the pan was the bits earmarked for hash. At this rate, if I want to try concentrate from these ladies, I’m going to need to use smoking weed to get there.

One last picture of the harvest. In this photo, both harvested quantities have been added together in a 1 gallon container for visual effect.

I am growing out more of the LR x LD now. They are my F1 plants.

At this point, these are mine. They are from the 1st one I had that I pollinated fully. As soon as they get flowers with more than a few pistils, I will pollinate a couple branches each using the pollen from the Dad.

My veg area is prepped to have 2 autos in there at all times . I did acquire more autos from both @Gaz29 and @ReikoX. I tried to hold off starting new autos before they came, hoping for a quick trip through Snail Mail (Yeah, I know, STUPID). I waited as long as I could before going ahead and starting a F2 run of the LR x LD. I started 4 and got 2 females from them.

When I started these seedlings, I had no room for large containers, so I started them in 4" pots and moved them to 8" pots. They continued growing immediately so probably no extra stress on them. There are 2 phenotypes. 110 is a short, bushy seedling (so far). 111 is a tall seedling with greater distance between nodes. Because of both the re-potting and the different phenos, It will interesting to see how close they match my last ones.

Keep reading, the next post contains updates on the rest of the plants (grown from seed) in my grows.
C50

8 Likes

Back again, brothers and sisters. This time I’ll start with my OG Kush. It is the oldest plant grown from seed I have going ATM.

OG Kush, 100 (@sebring):

Moved to Male room to spray STS on 8/27. Didn’t realize too much light is coming in through the a/c side curtains. The last plants I had in there where getting cut down after and I had them on the same schedule as the outdoor sunshine. Since I planned on putting this one back into teh main Flower room, I gave it that schedule of 2 pm until 2 am. I didn’t even think about the a/c side curtains at that time. I fixed this, but not until the 9/3 (6th day they were in there).

On the 7th day it went back to the main Flower room. Since it was in full blown veg mode, I took a couple more branches to use as clones on the same day. The cuttings I took were the next 2 branches above the STS branches to make for better isolation of those branches. This makes a total of 3 OG Kush clones.

Now that it is back into Flowering with no light leaks, it is showing female Flower growth on the top portion. The largest STS branch is showing a clusters of tiny male buds starting. :sunglasses:

I looked at it last night before its sundown and the smallest STS branch is also showing male buds! :clap: :hugging:

As soon as I finish with the Chuy Purps x 2nd sight male (104), 100 is going back into the Maleroom to collect pollen from her male flowers, pollinate 2 branches with fem pollen and 2 more branches with LR x LD pollen. Each branch will be clearly marked as to what pollinated it. I will then cut off the 2 STS branches at this time.

While it was in the Maleroom, it stretched and will be a larger plant than I wanted it to be. I removed all the lower branch shade leaves to try to keep it short as possible.

I readjusted my estimated harvest date on it to reflect the new Flower date.

Next it’s the (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine green pheno, 96 & 97 (@Kalgrae & @Jellypowered) :

I re-potted these last week.

96 stretched about 4" since then, 97 stretched just 2" in the same time frame. I removed 4-6 branches from the bottom of each to make the pollinated branches the lowest 2 branches on each plant and to make it more like a small plant for its remaining time in Flowering. The buds are taking about a normal time to develop, unlike the Sweet Tooth which gets to the same point a week or more earlier.

I have a clone from each female. The clones have been in Veg for 14 days when the pic was taken on 9/9. They will be ready to Flower as soon as they reach 10" tall.

That brings us to the Chuy Purps x Second Sight, 102, 104 & 105(@pookie123):

I just moved 102 and 105 into Flowering on 9/9 just minutes after the last photo. Since I have 3 large plants in there now along with 2 short plants, these got placed in the Flowering area extension. This is just a 2 shelf 2’ x 4’ wire rack with a total of 55W of led lighting.

There is a 30W corn light screwed into the reflector, and a 25W work light under the reflector with it. The work light is a cob light and seems to provide more light than the 30W corn bulb.

When in use, I put it at the end of the Flowering room, so it gets some light from the 750W HPS as well. The 2 (shorter) plants, ST4 (94 & 95), have less than a week at which time these 2 will go under the HPS lamp. In another 3 days, after some growth has started, I will take a branch from each of the females to make a clone of each.

The female 105 was looking all twisted up. So much so that I posted it above (post 173 on 9/1) and considered whether to give it a healthy dose of LITFA, move it to an 8 inch pot like I did with its sister, or kill it. I continued to be undecided, so I compromised and re-potted it to a 6 inch pot.

I was very low on coco at the time and didn’t want to waste that much coco if it didn’t get better. It now looks much less twisted up. It remains short with VERY dense growth. As soon as it shows a few more roots out the drain holes, I’ll re-pot it again, putting it into an 8" pot.

104 went into the Maleroom the same day as 100 came out, 9/6. It opened is first flower just before the light went out in 9/8. I’ve already collected enough pollen to do what I need to do. I’ll collect more for making F2s from at a later date, same as I did with the Kalgrae green male. The following picture was taken today.

This brings the growing stuff to a conclusion. I will be germinating some of the XJ Medley seeds (@99percent & @Jellypowered) as soon as I finish this post and answering some PMs. For those of you don’t know what they are (I’m sure anyone that regularly trades posts with @99percent already know), they are:

Mother: XJ13 x Penny Wise
Father1: Agent Orange
Father2: Penny Wise
Father3: Jilly Bean

By my estimation, all should be indica dominant. This is right up my alley. I would love to get a female of each on my first run. I’ll be germinating at least 6 in, with a goal of getting a good assortment. Since all the strains are unfamiliar to me and @99percent made them, maybe he’ll give me a hand identifying them after they start Flowering.

In the last few weeks, I have received more strains of seeds from @ReikoX, @Gaz29, @Jellypowered, @Scissor-Hanz, and @barefrog. They all seem excellent! So, I have no shortage of seeds for this thread, so it will keep going and going like the Energizer bunny.

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.
C50

15 Likes

I enjoy reading your updates @Cobra50 bro , very informative and easy to follow …!
Keep up the great :+1:work my friend ,

Gaz

4 Likes

As I collected pollen from 104 using a fast, easy method I thought of a while back, it occurred to me that there may be people that have trouble with collecting pollen. To that end, I am sharing this method here:

I had gotten so annoyed with losing the overnight pollen, that I used a green light to collect from the Durban male. That didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. When I got to the point where I could tell which flowers would open next, I took a few of them and put them in a cup overnight to let them dry out. I was rewarded with a good quantity of pollen.

After that, I started plucking the buds that were filling out and the ones that looked as though the outer petals were about to open, just before the lamp cycles off. They tend to be pillow shaped and soft. If it still shaped like raindrop and/or hard, it is too immature.

In the first photo, I have removed a lot of buds that looked ready and put them on an 8" paper plate. The first image has a black circle and a blue circle on it. That black circle is indicating a flower that will not open due to being to immature. You could leave it for a week and it wouldn’t give you enough to bother with.

The bud in the blue circle looks like the one in the black circle in this image. However, it is just a bud that is ready to go, standing on its edge. Laid flat, it looks like the rest. I’ve done this more than a dozen times and find it easy to spot them now. Study the buds in the first image at full size to see what they should look like.

I covered that 8" paper plate with another plate for 12 hours. The next picture show how much pollen just fell out of the flowers where they opened. Also notice, the bud in the black circle is the one I showed you as being too immature. Notice it looks just like it did in the before picture.

The last photo was taken after I turned the paper plate on its side to let the spent flowers fall off. I also included the brush i modified to use for this purpose. It is a coarse artist brush. I used a razor to cut it down to about a 1/4" long.

I put them in a smaller container that covers, along with any other spent buds I collect from the plant. I cover it and bounce it fairly hard. More pollen falls from them. and again, you can just pour them off. The big fluffy spent bud is so light, it falls off the plate taking very little pollen with it. I use this technique added to the bud shaking and I finish up in just 72 hours and can free up the Maleroom for another tenant.

I have enough pollen from 104 (Chuy Purps x Second Sight from @pookie123). I can pollinate 2 branches on a dozen plants or more with what I have now, so I cut it down Friday evening.

Saturday I made some light weight reflector panels for my Maleroom to replace the heavy wooden ones that had originally been for SCRog configuration. These are solid, larger panels that contain more light inside and block external light to prevent returning anymore plants to veg state while in there.

Speaking of which, I moved 100 (the OG Kush from @Sebring) back into Maleroom as soon as the new panels were done Saturday night. This reversal has been a total success, so far! The largest branch that got the STS treatment has buds all up and down it. The smaller one only has them at its tip. The remainder of the plant is all female. I expect pollen fall in the next 24 hours.

I’ve already pollinated 2 branches 5 levels down from top of 100 using the pollen from LR x LD and marked them with a black twist tie each. I will also be pollinating the next 2 branches up from the STS branches using female pollen from 100 herself. After I remove the male flower branches, the 2 pollinated branches will be the lowest branches on the plant.

Also, I now have 9 seedlings in the light from the XJ Medley I received from @99percent through @jellypowered. I would have had 10, but I dropped 1 on the kitchen floor while separating them from the silica beads in with them. The kitchen has other seeds on the floor also. As long as I didn’t see for certain where it landed, I didn’t even try to find it.

Tha, tha ,tha, tha, tha , that’s all folks (for now)
C50

14 Likes

Quietly building one of the best threads here, C-50.
Precision work :mag: :+1:
Should be getting a love letter from me any day now, my friend :love_letter: :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words my brother.:blush:

I’ve been trying to put it out of my mind for a bit. It drives me crazy how long mail takes between the US and Canada. Our Scottish brother received the seeds I sent him in 5 days. The Canadian recipients were among the last to receive theirs. I can see it talking longer than mailing within the US, but taking longer to reach Canadians than to cross the ocean, WTF? :astonished: That’s a sad comment on something, but I can’t figure out what. :thinking:

:vulcan:

5 Likes

Just label them as immigrant seeds and they’ll get right in :wink:

3 Likes

I’d have to say I like your pollen catching technique and must try when a have a male willing to dump his load! Lol😝

2 Likes

Are some of the mail couriers run by dog sled teams up there? lol I had to do it @ cobra it was ripe for the plucking! Lol

2 Likes

It takes very little time and the rewards are great. If you are really busy, it might be the only way to collect it. In that case do it twice a day and the buds won’t have time to mature to the point of opening at any time between flower picking. There will always be a few, but not dozens, so the loss would be minimal.

Not in Wisconsin, but in the Great White North, maybe. It would sure explain it. Maybe the extra time is to bypass fracking sites?

2 Likes

Fracking ? Oh crap we have tons of those around here too in CO so many going up its pissing a lot of people off cause there literally going up a stone throw away from people’s back yards!

3 Likes

Somewhere down here pretty close one actually caught fire :fire: and blew up not to long ago!

2 Likes
1 Like

It is interesting that the state asked Andarko to investigate the accident. IMO, a company should NOT be allowed to do the investigation into an accident that left dead in its wake, unless it is parallel to a law enforcement investigation. That would be like having trump run the investigation into Russia and his campaign.

3 Likes

Got your letter today. OMG @Scissor-Hanz, that wasn’t a love letter, that was a whole sonnet. G13 x Afghani #1 F2, Blueberry x JesusOG, and Super Lemon Haze x JesusOG F2. More awesome beans to grow out in the topic! And those are on top of the G13 x BubbleGum F2 and C99/Romberry x Jesus OG from a month earlier.

Yep, I won’t run out of seeds for this thread for a long time!

7 Likes