Cradle to grave. Seeds, clones, STS, germination and more

I’ve been thinking about making this thread for a while. My thread: Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me was originally meant to show the 1st grow out of seeds that were gifted to me. I’ve had purchased seeds, clones, STS reversal, germination and more in there as well.

I really feel like that thread should go back to its original roots, so from now on, anything I grow that is not a 1st grow of gift seeds will be here from now on. I’ll start that off with a report on the latest from my last 2 Sweet Tooth #4 clones, 94 & 95.

If you recall, I defoliated one of them, P95, at flower day 22. I left its sister, P94, au naturale and didn’t remove any leaves other than the leaves the plant was getting rid of itself. It was pretty plain on the original ST4 plants (P82, P83) that defoliating made a negative impact on the plant. See the following link for how they did: Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

Here, you see the defoliated plant, P95, produced just over half what the litfa plant did, yet the plants were nearly identical on the day I did it. Further, more decisive, proof that the ST4s shouldn’t be defoliated.
Sweet Tooth #4 clones, P94 & P95
P94: 62.2 smoking; 5.1 hash bits; 11.83 wood
P95: 39.1 smoking; 3.7 hash bits; 10.15 wood

I’ll add more soon. I needed to have a topic to link to in my Gifted Seeds thread, so I started this now. After I update the Gifted Seeds topic, I’ll be back to add more.

I am also going to try doing one post per strain group. I am hoping it will make adding reference link to a past post on a certain plant easier. Since my posts tend to run long, it can take a while to find the data about a particular plant in a previous post. This way, if I reference a previous post with a link, the plant I was actually referencing will be the only thing in that post.

Cheers,
C50

Edit: formatting.
Edit 2: spelling.
Edit 3: added paragraph about posting on plant group per entry.

9 Likes

Today, I also have an update on my current Divyder grow, P110 & P111. Those who have read my other thread, will already be aware that this is my F2 run. These females were both pollinated by their father. What is interesting to me is that one female is just like her mother, short and dense, while the other takes after her father, tall and Christmas tree shaped:

My last grow of Divyder were also tall like Dad, reaching 24.5 and 25.5 inches tall and each bearing a monster payload. I’d love it if all my plants grew to that size! The calyx to leaf ratio was awesome, making for a fast trimming. I think I will be using the seeds from the tall one here, P111, to make my F3 Divyders.

For anyone that is not already familiar with the last plants, P90 & P91,you can see them in this posting: Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

Edit The father of my Divyder is also the father of seeds on both and OG Kush and on 2 ST4 clones. My main goal for these is to breed shorter versions of both, the auto gene is just frosting on my cake. These plants have grown to more than 45" tall.

3 Likes

I also have my last 2 ST4 clones in Flowering now:

I’d like to shorten them up, the originals grew to 45" plus tall. To this end, I pollinated them using Divyder pollen. There are other plants I could have used to do this, but the Divyder has the added benefit of being an auto flower.

I pollinated them on flower day 15. Here are what a typical bud was like at the time:

I had a 3ml jar that had just enough pollen on the bottom to see. It was from when I tried to reverse ST4 P84. The was a comedy of errors that culminated in getting male flowers on the plant, but no pollen to speak of. The fact that there was so little pollen in the jar lead me to just leave it out on the counter because I didn’t think there was enough to work with. The container was out at room temperature, but closed for 43 days altogether. I honestly had no intention of trying to use it so I didn’t care.

On pollination day, I chose the top bud on a branch near the top and marked it with a soft twist tie. I then took the little jar and used that top bud to mop it out. While it is unlikely the pollen was even any good anymore, I’m mentioning it here just in case the universe decides to be good to me and give me a few femmed seeds from that bud…

That’s all I have for today. I will not be starting any new seeds until after election day (Nov. 6 for our international brothers) because my son is getting married in Florida on 11-4 and for 3 days, there will not be anyone feeding my plants. I have a plan using a pump and cycle timer to automatically feed them, but since seedlings are more vulnerable, I’m not going to try keep some of them going through that time.

Have a great weekend all,
C50

7 Likes

Great thread @Cobra50 bud and nice plants in the pics above …
I’ll be watching this one :popcorn:, & Hope you’re keeping well …!
Happy growing/smoking my friend ,
Gaz

2 Likes

I wouldn’t cross an auto with a swt, being that swt already have issues from auto flowering in 18/6… easy to end up with “unkeepable” moms…
just my 2 €cents…
DS

2 Likes

Sorry, can’t resist this time. But it concern my unconditional love for a strain.

During ~20 years straight, after 6 successive generations of Sweet Tooth #3 and over 0.5K specimens … i don’t got a single autoflowering specimen.

2 Likes

Wow, you are already on thibking about F3? I was just thinking about starting my F2 run. I have some other F2s from @Scissor-Hanz I want to explore as well. I got sidetracked with Juanita. :grin:

4 Likes

I have grown a few of @Scissor-Hanz crosses and have a few plants of his either in flower or still vegging - im loving the g13/Afghani #1 at nearly half way done :arrow_heading_down:

Halfway through :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

A couple of pics of my g13/Afghani ( Hanz’s) in flower ( i have another female too ( of g13afghani),-along with his blueberry x Jesus og, Blueberry cookies Kush and cromJog kping sum plants small ( ish) til i get my second light over them but whatever crosses @Scissor-Hanz has sent you should be :fire:mate.
Good luck with picking your next cross/strain for next grow …!
Gaz

5 Likes

They are Divyder F2s. I’ve been collecting Divyder F2s from other members for multiple lines (easy to remember by username).

3 Likes

Thanks bro. :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking about splitting the Gifted Seeds thread since I first ran the ST4 because it wasn’t gifted to me. That one will be a little less interesting since it will be just the 1st grow of gifted seeds from no on. Most of the more interesting stuff will be here.

@Gaz29, our brother @Scissor-Hanz sent me 5 strains recently. I am looking forward to them all. The one I look forward to trying the most is G13 x A#1. I’ve read great things about both strains individually, so a hybrid of them should also be great.

Hi, @Dee.S73. This is my 3rd grow of the ST4. I hadn’t experienced that yet, but I use 21/3. I’m not planning on having exclusively autos. My next grow of the ST4, using the remaining ST4 seeds I have, will get pollinated the correct way. I’d have had seeds from these by now if I’d gotten a male in that 1st grow. I like the idea of having both an auto and a photo of the ST4. So, I won’t be ruining my only Sweet Tooth 4. Variety, the spice of life. :thumbsup:

That’s encouraging, @Fuel. :smile:

Yup. P110 & P111 are my F2 run, @ReikoX . I have pollinated an OG Kush and ST4 with my original Divyder pollen as well and have plenty left. I originally thought I wanted the propagate the shorter Divyder because I like the idea of shorter plants, but after my second grow from the seeds you sent came out to be only 25.5" at the tallest, I will now be looking to propagate the taller version. Those 2 foot tall plants were effin’ awesome!! :joy::fireworks::tada:

I may not get to F3 so soon though, you and @Gaz29 have sent me some other autos that I want to try out as well.

I’m not sure what this is in response to.

If you’d like some of my Divyder F2s when they are ready, you are welcome to them. What a great way to breed variety into your new strain.

3 Likes

Yes that would be awesome. Keep me in mind when they are ready. :+1::seedling:

1 Like

You’ve been definitely lucky, it seems …

Peace
DS

Instead your post mentionning the Sweet Tooth P1, he’s mentionning the SPG as pure. If you have the chance someday to grow the both as pure, you will understand why i’m so picky about that.

And also it’s a logical problematic in a direct BX from the ST#4 and this cut, than he call “ST#5” and than i follow since the begin in the MadScientist growlog. Where you can find also my comment about this work. Beaudelaire is not that guy than will spread inaccurate informations for nothing, at the risk to fool people on genetics. I think it’s important to respect this behavior than today is more than rare, in staying accurate.

My ST#3 don’t carry any autoflowering trait since decades, specially because i’ve choosed to keep it pure. You can also get informations on this problematic with Chimera : he have tryed to recreate the original Sweet Tooth years ago from scratch with the orginal sources : BB and SPG.

@Fuel: don’t know what’s your problem with me but if you took time to do your homework you would know that I did grow swt3 starting in 2002 when i got them straight from Steve’s big hands in his place in Switzerland.
I do know Sol strains quite well and I do think Steve is the most knowledgeable breeder around, that’s all…
As I already said, keeping at any cost a wonderful swt3 mom that had the auto flowering tendency was what made me switch to 24/0 for mom vegging. Swt statisticaly had autoflowering behavior in not small percentage., nothing to complain about though…
So, if you popped 500+ seeds and NEVER found any with this behavior… I would say those weren’t swt3 or you are a really lucky guy… buy a lottery ticket soon !
peace,
DS
edit : I did linked that post cause it was the most recent one where @Baudelaire talked about that.
im pretty sure he already talked about it in Swt3 and I’m convinced that he can confirm this …

I think “auto-flowering”, really more a low-level florescence under long-day photoperiods than auto-flowering to maturation as with full auto-flowering strains, is a well-documented trait in strains that use the Sweet Pink Grapefruit clone in their heritage, Sweet Tooth included. It’s often quite tolerable in female individuals but can be pronounced and terminal in males. My comments on @MadScientist 's thread were referring to a test cross between SPG and Sweet Tooth 4, where one might expect the trait to be more prominent, as the SPG genetics are “doubled-up” in that particular cross.

-b420

3 Likes

Always good to read your tempered insight, beaudelaire.

I still not convinced to generalize the autoflowering trait with the sweet tooth and all its successive BX and hybrids. But the brother in law of Breeder Steve have said than any sweet tooth not auto-flowering is fake ^^ So i will end here the madness, my point is shared. No need to turn around more.

1 Like

I cloned the plants but lost the tags, so now, i will be guessing which one is which, but hopefully they do not show that trait for me…

Thanks, Mr. B, you rock man!

I think the trait is not ubiquitous and can certainly be controlled with day length (18+ hrs) and root ball maintenance (root-boundness being a widely observed environmental trigger). I think the trait is less prominent in SWT #3. But it’s a numbers game, if you’ve got a SWT3 mother that hasn’t shown the trait over time, you’ve probably got a keeper. -b420

2 Likes

I will @ReikoX. I am only growing seeds on 2 small branches from each. You can have half of what I get. I plan to take it through all the filial levels to predictably get plants like my second grow, 2 feet tall and heavy with buds.

I am getting 2 different phenotypes in this seed grow, a tall, columnar and a short bush. I am at 33 days to harvest (harvesting at 90 days from sprout). Do you want both?

Less thinking and more doing. These are great plants and you made them, you should have a signature filial.

I’ve been thinking about this since I first read it, @Dee.S73. I’ve read the followup posts concerning yours. It occurs to me that this tendency would only be helpful. I think it means it will be easier to get an auto flowering Sweet Tooth because of this. I originally thought it would be easier to get them to be shorter than it would be to get them to turn auto. I like the autos I’ve been growing, auto flowering ST4 and OG Kush would be fine with me.

@Baudelaire, do you think that tendency will translate to an easier conversion to autoflower?

OT
What a mature comment…
Got really nothing smarter to say than " Steve brother in law" ??
That’s honestly deceiving from someone like you @Fuel… I get we all have different opinions and support them, that’s right… but this… Let’s take it in pm if you have something else equally smart to say.
/OT
Sorry for polluting the thread, Cobra
DS

1 Like