Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

As I collected pollen from 104 using a fast, easy method I thought of a while back, it occurred to me that there may be people that have trouble with collecting pollen. To that end, I am sharing this method here:

I had gotten so annoyed with losing the overnight pollen, that I used a green light to collect from the Durban male. That didn’t work as well as I’d hoped. When I got to the point where I could tell which flowers would open next, I took a few of them and put them in a cup overnight to let them dry out. I was rewarded with a good quantity of pollen.

After that, I started plucking the buds that were filling out and the ones that looked as though the outer petals were about to open, just before the lamp cycles off. They tend to be pillow shaped and soft. If it still shaped like raindrop and/or hard, it is too immature.

In the first photo, I have removed a lot of buds that looked ready and put them on an 8" paper plate. The first image has a black circle and a blue circle on it. That black circle is indicating a flower that will not open due to being to immature. You could leave it for a week and it wouldn’t give you enough to bother with.

The bud in the blue circle looks like the one in the black circle in this image. However, it is just a bud that is ready to go, standing on its edge. Laid flat, it looks like the rest. I’ve done this more than a dozen times and find it easy to spot them now. Study the buds in the first image at full size to see what they should look like.

I covered that 8" paper plate with another plate for 12 hours. The next picture show how much pollen just fell out of the flowers where they opened. Also notice, the bud in the black circle is the one I showed you as being too immature. Notice it looks just like it did in the before picture.

The last photo was taken after I turned the paper plate on its side to let the spent flowers fall off. I also included the brush i modified to use for this purpose. It is a coarse artist brush. I used a razor to cut it down to about a 1/4" long.

I put them in a smaller container that covers, along with any other spent buds I collect from the plant. I cover it and bounce it fairly hard. More pollen falls from them. and again, you can just pour them off. The big fluffy spent bud is so light, it falls off the plate taking very little pollen with it. I use this technique added to the bud shaking and I finish up in just 72 hours and can free up the Maleroom for another tenant.

I have enough pollen from 104 (Chuy Purps x Second Sight from @pookie123). I can pollinate 2 branches on a dozen plants or more with what I have now, so I cut it down Friday evening.

Saturday I made some light weight reflector panels for my Maleroom to replace the heavy wooden ones that had originally been for SCRog configuration. These are solid, larger panels that contain more light inside and block external light to prevent returning anymore plants to veg state while in there.

Speaking of which, I moved 100 (the OG Kush from @Sebring) back into Maleroom as soon as the new panels were done Saturday night. This reversal has been a total success, so far! The largest branch that got the STS treatment has buds all up and down it. The smaller one only has them at its tip. The remainder of the plant is all female. I expect pollen fall in the next 24 hours.

I’ve already pollinated 2 branches 5 levels down from top of 100 using the pollen from LR x LD and marked them with a black twist tie each. I will also be pollinating the next 2 branches up from the STS branches using female pollen from 100 herself. After I remove the male flower branches, the 2 pollinated branches will be the lowest branches on the plant.

Also, I now have 9 seedlings in the light from the XJ Medley I received from @99percent through @jellypowered. I would have had 10, but I dropped 1 on the kitchen floor while separating them from the silica beads in with them. The kitchen has other seeds on the floor also. As long as I didn’t see for certain where it landed, I didn’t even try to find it.

Tha, tha ,tha, tha, tha , that’s all folks (for now)
C50

14 Likes

Quietly building one of the best threads here, C-50.
Precision work :mag: :+1:
Should be getting a love letter from me any day now, my friend :love_letter: :sun_with_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words my brother.:blush:

I’ve been trying to put it out of my mind for a bit. It drives me crazy how long mail takes between the US and Canada. Our Scottish brother received the seeds I sent him in 5 days. The Canadian recipients were among the last to receive theirs. I can see it talking longer than mailing within the US, but taking longer to reach Canadians than to cross the ocean, WTF? :astonished: That’s a sad comment on something, but I can’t figure out what. :thinking:

:vulcan:

5 Likes

Just label them as immigrant seeds and they’ll get right in :wink:

3 Likes

I’d have to say I like your pollen catching technique and must try when a have a male willing to dump his load! Lol😝

2 Likes

Are some of the mail couriers run by dog sled teams up there? lol I had to do it @ cobra it was ripe for the plucking! Lol

2 Likes

It takes very little time and the rewards are great. If you are really busy, it might be the only way to collect it. In that case do it twice a day and the buds won’t have time to mature to the point of opening at any time between flower picking. There will always be a few, but not dozens, so the loss would be minimal.

Not in Wisconsin, but in the Great White North, maybe. It would sure explain it. Maybe the extra time is to bypass fracking sites?

2 Likes

Fracking ? Oh crap we have tons of those around here too in CO so many going up its pissing a lot of people off cause there literally going up a stone throw away from people’s back yards!

3 Likes

Somewhere down here pretty close one actually caught fire :fire: and blew up not to long ago!

2 Likes
1 Like

It is interesting that the state asked Andarko to investigate the accident. IMO, a company should NOT be allowed to do the investigation into an accident that left dead in its wake, unless it is parallel to a law enforcement investigation. That would be like having trump run the investigation into Russia and his campaign.

3 Likes

Got your letter today. OMG @Scissor-Hanz, that wasn’t a love letter, that was a whole sonnet. G13 x Afghani #1 F2, Blueberry x JesusOG, and Super Lemon Haze x JesusOG F2. More awesome beans to grow out in the topic! And those are on top of the G13 x BubbleGum F2 and C99/Romberry x Jesus OG from a month earlier.

Yep, I won’t run out of seeds for this thread for a long time!

7 Likes

I’ll be sure to send you more Indica’s i find along the way too. You may NEVER have to purchase seeds again :wink: I love the way you grow bro, if I ever am not sure about a strain I could just send you beans and see them at full potential lol.

5 Likes

Thank you for the kind assessment @Jellypowered, my friend. Since I retired (became a full time gardener) 2.5 years ago, I was finally able to discover it was flyin’ fuckers that was causing me a lot of grief (not God) My grows have improved dramatically since. I’ve been able to keep thrips and gnats in check this year by knowing what to look for and acting on it immediately.

As much as I hate flyin’ fuckers, if it wasn’t for them, I’d still be growing in soil and using Peters fertilizers and Miracle Grow. So, I guess I kind of owe them… :laughing:

I have no doubt! :smile: The 3 strains Brother @Scissor-Hanz sent this time bring my seed store to 45 different strains. I also still have some of @I_thewindcries seeds coming as a trade for the seeds I had in my giveaway. He asked about the possibility shortly after it was over and I agreed.

Question @Jellypowered, did you send me all of the @Kalgrae seeds that you got from him? If that is affirmative, I’ll be having some seeds from the green pheno I’m growing in this thread. The plants have about 3 weeks, maybe a little more because I am going for amber trikes, I’ll send some to you so you can enjoy them for yourself.

5 Likes

Yeah I didn’t split those at all, you got them all :slight_smile:

I’d much appreciate that bro!

2 Likes

No problem, I’ll just send them when they are ready and let you know they are coming. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Hey @Cobra50 bud,
Hope alls well with you and yours …
I have two females of @Scissor-Hanz g13/Afghani #1 - one of which is just a week into flowering plus i have a single blueberry x Jesus og and it’s a she but iv been kping em (& a few others) in small pots as iv got to finish a few others before i can finish them - here’s a pic of the g13/Afghani ( not trained) :arrow_heading_down:

G13/Afghani is on the left and a Stardawg IX x X18 clone on the right , both a week into flower.

I hope this helps when you crack yours bro ( just check my updates if you wanna see how she grows).
Take care and keep in touch mate …
Gaz

4 Likes

Hi @Gaz29. I use the same technique to prevent them from getting too large too quickly when I have a crowd.

Thanks Gaz, I’ll look for it. It’ll be great to see it grow before I get a chance to. I’ve read awesome things about both G13 and Afghani #1. And, @Scissor-Hanz has bred them to be small plants (small plants are SOOOOO much easier to trim out). I can’t wait to get to them.

I’m going to need to stop making clones at all. I’ve grown out 2 clones of the Sweet Tooth 4 with 2 more in there now. I also have clones going of the @Kalgrae plants I am growing and 2 of the OG Kush. This is making it take too long to get to the rest of my seeds, so as tempting as it is, I am not making any more clones until I’ve made a substantial dent in my strain list.

So many seeds, so little lighting. :wink:

Have a good day all!
C50

6 Likes

Hello happy family. :slight_smile:

I meant to do this update on the 21st. By the time I got to it, I had to take more photos already. I am busy all the time but don’t seem to be accomplishing the things I need to get done.

Well, let’s get started, shall we?

#100, OG Kush from @Sebring:
Number 100 has been very successful! I have pollinated 2 small branches near the top with Divyder pollen, the 2 branches just over the boy branches got self pollinated.

This 1st image show the full plant after the boy branches were removed at bottom. The small branch didn’t get into this shot.

The next picture is of the part of the plant. One of the branches pollinated by Divyder (the brand new name for the LR x LD per @ReikoX) pollen (2018-09-17) is visible in this photo and is circled, the other branch is hidden by leaves. They are both small, upper branches.

A close look will reveal a pistil structure effected by seed growth. I didn’t get a closeup image, but if I did, you’d see seeds have become visible already. :slight_smile: This is the first step in breeding an OG Kush auto.

This pic shows one of the self pollinated branches. Close examination will show that the pistil structure is effected.

They were only pollinated on 2018-09-22, so there aren’t any recognizable seeds growing yet. They should become apparent in a few days.

The following composite picture is a closeup of each boy branch.

Notice the large number of leaves around the male buds. I don’t know if an OG Kush male would have that many leaves. These had more until I removed all leaves that had gotten STS on them. The high amount of foliage made it difficult to find opened buds, so I used the method of plucking buds that were close and letting them dry out between paper plates (described in detail in a previous post). Even this method was a bit difficult because the pollen is a very, very whitish yellow. At first I thought all the buds were wearing rubbers because I couldn’t find any pollen on the plate. I didn’t get discouraged, I just added more buds to the plate, leaving the earlier ones there as well.

When I didn’t see any pollen still, I pushed the dried buds around with tiny, very soft, art brush. I then noticed some barely visible lines on the paper plate. I looked at the brush and it was covered with an off-white looking powder. It is probably my color vision deficiency that made it so hard to see against the white plate. I’ll be looking for some red or blues plates for the future.

This last composite image concerning the OG Kush is the flowers I pulled of the boy branches after removal, when I could look very closely at the male colas.

There were MANY opened buds inside, which explains all the bananas on the plate.

These last 2 photos show the pollen from all the useful buds, 14 hours later.

See how difficult it is to discern the pollen. In the 001 pic, in the shadow, you can see some dark spots that look dirty and some very faint powder in the sunlight. Picture 004, I moved the dead buds away from the center of the plate to see the pollen by itself.

I have 2 clones coming up of this plant, but it took 4 to get two. One took 19 days to show roots, the other 15 days. The roots continue to grow slowly after showing. This particular plant had a slow start in the beginning, that may have something to do with it. These 2 clones are the last ones I’ll take for a long while, so I can try out more seeds. Having something new all the time is just amazing!

Numbers 102 and 105, Chuy Purps x Second Sight from @Pookie123:
Here they are side by side in the Male room. I moved them there so they could get laid in private.

I pollinated 3 small, upper branches of 102 and I large branch on 105 last night. I first used the remaining pollen that was still in the spent flowers from the male, #104. This pollen has been sitting out at room temperature for 10 days. I have a lot more chillin’ out in the freezer, but I wanted to see how long it would last at room temps. I’d read an estimate of 3-5 days and decided to test that statement.

It’s only been 12 hours since I pollinated them, so no real sign as to whether it worked yet. I’ll give them a couple of more days and check again. If I see no sign of a successful pollination, I’ll get the Chuy Purps x Second Sight pollen from the freezer and do it again.

If you remember from several posts back, 105 was the plant that looked like a twister from the top. It did so well in the 6" pot, I moved it to an 8" pot on 2018-09-19. I am so glad I didn’t destroy it. At 20" tall, it is 11" shorter than its sister, 102. It may be short, but it is very dense.
These 2 plants bring to mind my 2 Durban females from several months ago. They too had 1 tall, columnar phenotype and one short, bushy one. The difference is that the Durbans were grown from a mix of seeds from 3 different crosses. The Chuy Purps x 2nd Sight is a single crossing only.

Plants 96 & 97, (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine, green phenotype, from @Kalgrae through @Jellypowered:

These are looking really good. I have them down for a 63 day flowering period (my goal is amber trikes) and they are currently on Flower day 46, a full 17 days from that date. If I didn’t want to wait for amber trichomes, I’d actually harvest it in the next couple of days because they are so mature, they are getting some foxtail going on.

These will be the next plants harvested. I can’t wait to sample them.

Numbers 107 & 108 are the last clones of the Sweet Tooth #4. They are the ones that I started from cuttings taken while the mothers were on flower day 8. The last time I mentioned them I was expecting them to be fully into veg mode shortly. It actually took about 2 weeks more.

I had to take about 8" off the top of each before they were full back to Veg mode because they were getting very tall for Veg and the leaves not only still had no serrations, they were single finger hands. They will do fine now. No more defoliating for these girls.

Plants numbered from 119 to 127, my 9 seedlings from @99percent’s XJ medley (sent to me from @Jellypowered)

These babies are on germination day 13. Aside from getting a bit stretchy the first 5 days, they are normal and healthy. There is, however, one thing that is so different, I actually laughed out loud when I noticed it.

Do you see it?

The seedling in the front has very thin leaves, sativa style, while all the rest have very indica looking leaves. I’ve been racking my brain to try to remember if I did something that could have caused me to switch seeds on the one. I can’t think of anytime any of the seeds was out of my control. All it can be is a very different phenotype surfacing. I’ll let it continue to grow while I decide what to do with it.

9 Likes

I’m speachless. Unbelievably awesome thread.

5 Likes