Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

Hi guys and gals,

I was looking at my Chuy Purps x 2nd Sight (from @pookie123) last night (48 hours after pollinating) and saw definite signs of seeds. I used 10 day old pollen that had been stored at room temp. All the spent male buds I had stored in a small paper cup (actual paper, no coating) and covered with a paper bowl. When I was ready to use it, I poured the spent flowers out of the cup and used the pollen directly form the cup to pollinate.

Aja (appears to no longer be a member) mentioned in his GrowFAQ thread:

It seems to me this shows pollen is viable for at least 10 days.

I have some pictures I took with my Celestron handheld digital microscope. I actually took about 100, and only 5 of those were good enough to see baby seeds in progress (its a real challenge holding the plant and camera still to get a good shot). Even these 5 are a little blurry, but the beginning seeds are visible.

Iā€™ll have an easier time photographing them in about 3 more days. I just wanted to see if I needed to pollinate again due to how the pollen was stored. I could/can see the developing seeds just fine using a magnifier, but that didnā€™t allow me to share the results with you.

I have two large, healthy clones of the @Kalgrae green pheno, P109 and P114, that I am debating destroying. With the 9 XJ medley seeds from @99PerCent and @Jellypowered coming up, I need to clear up some Flowering room space. I figure at least 4 will be female and that is 2x as many as I normally put into Flowering at one time. I may have more females as well, so I need the Flowering room to be completely cleared out when these go in so they arenā€™t fighting for light.

Speaking of Flowering, temps here in SE WI, are 72Ā°F and expected to get lower for the forcastable future, so I can raise my plants 3-4 inches and not need to worry about getting burned from the 750W HPS. And, for the first time in recent memory, I havenā€™t had enough of a flyinā€™ fucker infestation this season to harm my grow. (I sure hope I am not tempting fate by writing this down.)

Have a good day one and all,
C50

Edit: I realized at the proof read that the 1st and last photos were of the same bud. The 1st one was more clear, so I deleted the the last one.

5 Likes

Starting on this update, I will be putting a ā€œPā€ in front of the plantā€™s number. This is more for me because all my seeds have a numeric strain identifier as well, but perhaps youā€™ll like it also. When making my notes in my database, I am using and ā€œSā€ in front of the strain identifier. This makes it easier to make notes about each. For instance, the @Kalgrae plants have no official name and writing ā€œBC Mango Nurse Diesel Moonshine - green phenotypeā€ each time I wish to make a note about it is too much typing, so in my notes it is S10. Iā€™ll still refer to the stain by its whole name here for your benefit.

Also, starting with this update, this topic will only contain my 1st grow only, from the seeds I have been given. This was my original intention for this topic. Hell, when I started this thread, I didnā€™t think Iā€™d ever purchase seeds. Also, with all the new seeds I had, I hadnā€™t expected to clone some plants as I went along.

This link will lead you to an additional thread that will cover any other grows: Cradle to grave. Seeds, clones, STS, germination and more
Youā€™ll find follow up grows of seeds highlighted in this topic as well as clone grows. This is also the place to go to see stuff I started here that is no longer a first grow, for instance, I have 2 Sweet Tooth clones still going, further updates on these will be at the new link, not here. I will also be using the new thread for such chores as reversing a plant, collecting pollen, or germinating difficult seeds. It will also contain any special projects, if there are any.

@Kalgrae, how do you like your BC Mango Nurse Diesel Moonshine (green phenotype) plants now?

These plants are doing extremely well and have a lot of bulk. I canā€™t quite place the fragrance of these plants. It seems to be slightly pine smelling with fruity and floral accents, but I canā€™t figure what fruit or flowers it smells like. I can say, it is very pleasant aroma.

My basement is an entire bouquet of fragrances since I started growing out all these different seeds. My original two types had a good fragrance as well, but with all the years Iā€™ve been growing them, I became so accustomed to them that I didnā€™t even smell them any more.

P97 had a 2" tall, Christmas tree shaped bud on the top that is visible in the last pictures I posted of her. I cut that bud off on 10-1, flower day 52. It finished drying yesterday (after 5 days) and I smoked it last night. It was very good. It tasted the way it smells, with the addition of a very unusual taste that reminds me a little of menthol. It isnā€™t menthol, but that is the closest I can get to figuring out what it is. I may be tasting the Diesel in its heritage. It is more pleasant tasting, with less of the harsh after taste than most. I can still taste the resins at the back of my tongue, but it doesnā€™t send me for something to clear the taste.

The buzz was potent, but did not slap me in the face. The high built with each hit until after about 5 or 6 hits, I was very pleasantly stoned. All in all, @Kalgrae chose an excellent group of plants to chuck. Great job @Kalgrae!

@Sebring, how does this OG Kush (flower day 30) compare to when you were growing them?

This plant has gotten so tall! That accidental re-vegging of the plant allowed for more branch growth than Iā€™d have liked.

If I gently pull on the pollinated buds, I can see plenty of good size seeds in the branches self pollinated and the ones I pollinated using Divyder pollen. She has very solid growth going for her and with her size now, she should give me a good yield.

@Pookie123, here are the Chuy Purps x Second Sight I got from you.

Iā€™ve been watching the pollinated buds closely. Remember, I used the pollen that had been stored at room temp for 10 days to pollinate these girls. I really fought the urge to get the saved pollen from the freezer to guarantee I get enough seeds.

I gently spread the buds apart to inspect for seeds deep in them. Here are a few representative pics:

It looks like Iā€™ll be getting at least 3 dozen from each plant, plenty enough to make some F2s in the near future.

They are looking very good and the temps are mostly mid 60s around my home lately, so I have them closer to the lamp now where it about 82Ā°F, so the colas should be better than Iā€™ve been getting in the hot weather.

@99PerCent (and @Jellypowered), I still have 9 of your XJ Medleys alive and well. They were on germ day 22 in this photo.

They are still in a boring phase, but I expect them to change quite a bit in the next week or so. Then they get anything but boring as they exit the seedling stage become a plant in earnest. I wonder what the boy:girl ratio will be as well as whether I will get a representative from each of the choices in each sex. This grow is ā€œlike a box of chocolates, you never know what youā€™re gonna getā€. I have some updates on the clones I have going as well as the current Divyder grow in the new thread, for anyone that is following them.

Cheers,
C50

Edit: formatting

9 Likes

Your OG Kush looks exactly like the ones I grew out. I was growing them when I was still getting the hang of the timing for flipping to flower, so most of mine got to the size yours is. :smile:

4 Likes

Hello OverGrow family.

I am loving the cooling weather. The last 2-3 weeks, the outdoor temps dropped so much that the temp in my Flowering room has dropped about 9Ā°, and about 12Ā° at the low edge of the umbrella reflector. I am anticipating some awesome grows from now until spring warm up arrives. I hate the way the winter makes me feel, with its cold, dark days, I get a bad case of winter blues. My plants absolutely love it, though.

My first update will be about P96 and P97, (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine from @Kalgraeā€™s seeds, provided by @Jellypowered. These ladies are at flower day 64.

These are the last photos before harvest. Checking the trikes, I see about 20% of them are amber. Iā€™d like to get more amber, but I canā€™t let them go any longer because I have several plants needing to go into Flowering due to having 9 seedlings that are now too big for my Baby box.

But it doesnā€™t matter. Iā€™ve smoked a bud from each of these ladies last week and it is some badass weed. The taste was awesome and the high excellent.

They smelled SO GOOD while trimming, I actually enjoyed doing it.

The buds on P96 were very tight and dense with a nice calyx to leaf ratio that made it a breeze to trim. Conversely, the buds on P97 were more like fingers. There were light and airy with a much less pleasant calyx to leaf ratio. P97 was a PITA to trim. The difference is very pronounced in the after trim photos.

She looks like I may get over 75 grams of smokinā€™ stuff when she is done. Each branch has a long cola at its end.

Cool. What were you using for a flowering time? From descriptions at Seed Finder, I came up with 56 days.

She just recently stopped stretching. Two days ago, it seemed as though it had grown colas like overnight. Itā€™s only been 22 days and there are large seeds all over the pollinated branches.

I am getting anxious to sample the finished product. :heart_eyes:

I am VERY impressed by these 2 beauties. Look at the frosting developing on the sweet leaves.

I am so glad I didnā€™t destroy P105 when it was looking so strange. At 23.5" tall, it is a full 15" shorter with more branches than its sister, P102.

I trimmed all the low branches and buds on P105 that were buried deeply away from light yesterday. There was a large number of small, flowered branches about an inch (25mm) long or less right at the bottom, where the stalk branches off.

When I trimmed up the bottom of P105, I deliberately didnā€™t use gloves. It was just a bunch of popcorn on those branches. I didnā€™t notice how sticky they were until I pulled the leaves from the branches. I cleaned up 9 tiny branches with popcorn and got my hands so sticky I had to use alcohol to remove the resins from my fingers. I was planning on putting the buds from these branches in a pail to wait for harvest and use it all in to make concentrate, but this stuff is very sticky so I am going to sample some of them when they dry.

These children are starting to exit the boring phase. Iā€™ve re-potted all of them and moved them to the Veg chamber for their Bar Mitzvah. I am looking forward to seeing how much of a variety I end up with. To me, ideal would be 1 male and 2 females representing each of the fathers used in pollination. Realistically, nature is far too random to be sure of getting a pair of parents for each fatherā€™s strain.

Iā€™m expecting visibility of sex in the next week, possibly 2. It will be interesting to note when they start to take on the characteristics of the parents. Will I be able to tell the differences between males? How long will it take to recognize which female matches which male? This is the first time in Iā€™ve germinated so many seeds at one time when my plants were pest free. When I do that with pests present, many babies donā€™t reach puberty.

These will be my youngest plants when I go to Florida for my sonā€™s wedding (11/4), along with 5 plants that will just about done when I leave. I donā€™t want to have very young plants to leave behind during my absence.

Happy growing my friends,
C50

10 Likes

The Mother was merely a cross of XJ13 and Penny Wise, so there should be some variety all around.

Often, the plants will ā€œlookā€ like mom, but not always. If you know Penny Wise, some will be 75% Penny Wise, but not from a back cross. Some will have distinctly Lemon smell. These are crossed with the Lemon Pot Pie. Others will have an Orange or Nutty flavor and would be the Agent Orange offspring. Best I can offer from memory.

3 Likes

Hi @99PerCent, nice to hear from you. The only thing I know of it is what I find at Seed Finder. It sound as great. As yet, it is like that for almost every strain. Until recently, Iā€™d only experienced the 8ish seed types Iā€™d bought at CBay. That is changing rapidly, since Iā€™ve grown out 5 strains new to me this year so far.

You hadnā€™t mentioned the Lemon Pot Pie previously. I canā€™t find that, is that anything like Lemon Pie?

Just like a box of chocolates. :smiley:

2 Likes

That is one of my own also. If you find her, you will know for certain it is her. Very dominant trait. I liked it best as rosin.

3 Likes

Would it be visible as a seedling, @99PerCent? I do have a seedling that looks very different than the other 8.

P127 (rightmost) has thinner leaves. And its leaves have more of a teardrop shaped leaf. The other 8, while looking a little bit different from each other, all have leaves that are more ellipsoid. Even the smallest leaves on the top layer of P127 are visibly different than those on the others. Iā€™ve speculated this to be different pheno showing.

4 Likes

No, that would be too easy :smile:

3 Likes

I believe I was pulling the OG Kush at about 64 days, but it was at 30% amber trichomes at that time. I figured out later that I prefer a more up high, so if I was growing it today Iā€™d probably take it at 60 days.

3 Likes

@Sebring, good to know. Mine is currently on flower day 47. I like the buzz from letting them go to amber. I was wondering if youā€™d like some of my fresh seeds from it after P100 is ready. I am going to pollinate a branch on one of the OG Kush clones (P116 & P117) I have that just started Flowering last week. It would not be a problem to share some of these seeds back to you, if youā€™d like some.

I plan to reverse one of the Pure Kush I got from @MadScientist and use the female pollen to make more seeds from the OG Kush. From what Iā€™ve read at Seed Finder, the Pure Kush is a particular pheno from OG Kush, so the pairing would be like a back cross of Pure Kush

@Kalgrae & @Jellypowered, due to the lack of humidity in my basement since the weather cooled off, my (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine plants are close to finished curing. Wednesday, I removed about a gram of flower tips (they seem to dry the fastest in low humidity). I rolled up a doobie that was about 5mm (a little bigger that 3/16") and burned it. Halfway thru the joint, I was totally wasted! This stuff is fantastic! The buzz was way better than when I took some buds off before harvest (3 weeks ago). It really put me indica couch!

What an excellent crossing! Iā€™m tempted to say it will be a regular inhabitant in my grows, but thatā€™d probably be premature since every indica Iā€™ve grown from my new seeds has been top quality. Still, I believe it to be the most potent of what Iā€™ve grown so far!

@Gaz29, I thought you had gotten some of these seeds from @Kalgrae. If you havenā€™t grown any out yet, you should. I am VERY impressed with this strain.

4 Likes

Hi OG friends and family. I found this leaf on my P100 (OG Kush). Has anyone ever seen this before?

When I saw it, I had been removing some large fan leaves so hidden buds could get more light. I thought I had knocked a small bud off the plant in the process and it had landed on a leaf. I laughed out loud when I realized it the flower was actually growing on the leaf. Iā€™ve been growing for over 16 years and this is the first time Iā€™ve ever seen such an anomaly.

C50

8 Likes

Hey @Cobra50 bud,
Funny you mention the BC Mango/BC N.Nurse x Diesel moonshine from @Kalgrae , i just had a female toss her first pistils and up-potted it yesterday, no training, just a straight up ā€˜see what we have at the end of floweringā€™ thing, but i WILL run more, just trying a lot of different crosses/strains - seeking the sedative/pain-killing effectā€¦
and good luck with your new indica strains bro , howā€™s your choco Kush .?
You have a great day my friend ,
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz

2 Likes

A sign of good-luck :four_leaf_clover: :star2: :dolphin: :beetle: :mushroom:

4 Likes

I can always use more of that, @Scissor-Hanz . :smile:

I think this one will help you out, @Gaz29. Just be careful not to use too much or your days will get like my last 2 did. I mostly just watched TV and napped. It is some pretty damn good weed!

I stopped putting anything new in a month ago, when the XJ medley seeds went in. Iā€™m going to FL in just under 2 weeks for my sonā€™s funeral, oops, I meant wedding. :wink: Iā€™ll be gone for 3 days and I donā€™t want to have any delicate plants around for that. I can take a 3 day trip and not worry as long as:

• I up size the pots for the XJs the day I leave. My plants are usually good for 3 days right after an up sizing.
  • Put the Flowering plants into larger drain dishes and fill them.

If I had small seedlings, Iā€™d worry about them the entire time I was gone. My first couple of days back I will put 3 Chocolate Kush in. Iā€™m very interested in them myself. I will definitely reverse some branches on one of them so I can get seeds.

4 Likes

Well that makes sense bro, theyā€™ll all be fairly mature by the time you leave for your sonsā€™ wedding :bride_with_veil:ā€¦
You have a great time in Florida ( my daughter and i might be going to Disney world again in 2019 ( prob oct time) with a lot of family etcā€¦

Iā€™ll keep an eye out for the choco Kush being grown out when you get round to them ā€¦
Take care and talk again soon bro ā€¦
Gaz

1 Like

Hello friends,

I havenā€™t posted in a while. Iā€™ve been really stressed out over my trip to FL to witness my son make the single biggest mistake of his life. He is marrying a very manipulative little bitch. This is the only place I can voice my opinion and be sure it wonā€™t get back to him. I expect a divorce in the next 5 years, more likely less. That, Iā€™d be happy to attend!

Enough of my petty complaints, on to my updateā€¦

I harvested P96 and P97, (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine from @Kalgraeā€™s seeds, provided by @Jellypowered, on 10/12 and 10/13 respectively at flower day 64.

I am so impressed by the weed these plants made for me. Iā€™ve lost days to this stuff. The pollinated branches finished drying first since I had separated them from the main plants after trimming, so Iā€™ve been smoking weed from them this week.

This is the most potent weed I remember ever growing. Aside from the very couch lock buzz, 3 days in a row, I slept the entire night through (rare for me).

Iā€™ve been watching what I eat in the 2.5 years since I retired. I had started putting on weight during the 1st several months. I limited myself to 1600 calories per day. Iā€™ve been very strict about it. I told you that because Iā€™ve been eating everything in sight this week. This wasnā€™t the munchies (I have them beat!), this was real appetite and I couldnā€™t suppress it!

Iā€™m not sure about its ability to dull pain, because Iā€™ve had a pretty high pain threshold since I started smoking my own homegrown. :wink:

Iā€™ve gotten a couple hundred seeds from the 2 branches on each plant that I pollinated, so Iā€™ll be enjoying this weed for a long time to come. :smile:

P96 yielded the most at 68 grams, while P97 yielded only 53 grams for a total of 121 grams of smoking weed between them. P97 had looked bigger, but it was a lot of fluff from foxtails.

Thank you very much for the chance to grow these @Kalgrae and @Jellypowered.

==================================================================================================

My P100, OG Kush from @Sebring, on flower day 53.

She doesnā€™t look like she is only a week away from harvest, but more like she actually has 14-18 days to go yet. Weā€™ll see in a week if she is ready. If she is not, it may have to do with her being re-vegged (accidentally) a week after going into flower.

The P102 and P105, Chuy Purps x Second Sight (Cannabeizein seeds that I got from @Pookie123) are on 47 days in these photos.

While I am very impressed by the frosting on the edges of the sweet leaves on P102, she looks as if she will be a low yield. As sticky as these plants are, hopefully, they will they will make up for it in potency. P105 is just as sticky, but without the heavy resin coating enjoyed by P102. Remember, P105 is the plant that was all twisted up as a seedling, so she is probably not any kind of example of what these plants normally are like. I will have enough seeds when they are done to see for myself on another grow.

I sampled the bits of popcorn I took from the bottom of both plants a few weeks ago. It tasted good and smelled great, but wasnā€™t very potent, but that was to be expected due to how young the flowering cycle was when they were taken.

What is very interesting, is that even though these plants are younger than P100, they look much closer to harvest than she is. Based on looks alone I believe these will be done a week ahead of P100.

==================================================================================================

P119 thru P127 (9 seedlings from @99percentā€™s XJ Medley seeds, given to me by @Jellypowered), are at germination day 44 when this photo was taken.

The last 9 have shown their sex as of now, flower day 47. Disappointment abounds! I have 7 males and 2 females. One of the females is the one that looks very different from the others. Iā€™m still not certain it belongs with the group, I may have switched it when the one dropped and I picked it up. I thought I knew exactly where it landed, but my eye may have just caught the 1st seed I saw on the ground. I do find a stray seed here and there in my kitchen and that is where I took the seeds out of their glass vial. I need to order a small work tray for moving seeds in and out of storage vials and containing them in the process.

The funny thing with this is the 2 end numbers, P119 and P127, are the females. 7 males bracketed by 1 female on each end. Isnā€™t chance a funny thing?.

I am growing out all 7 males to collect pollen from them. Since I have only 2 females and they donā€™t look alike, Iā€™ll be pollinating 7 branches on each, so I may not get any seedless buds from either to smoke. I donā€™t have much space, so the only pollen collection Iā€™ll be doing is taking the buds off each plant before they actually open. Collecting each in a marked, closed container. Even with no fans in that room, there will be a possibility of cross contamination, so I wonā€™t be saving any dropped pollen.

To precision pollinate, I will be using a clear(ish) plastic shopping bag for each branch. Iā€™ll cut a hole in a corner of the bag big enough to feed the branch through and twist tie it to the branch behind the buds for pollination. As each branch is pollinated, Iā€™ll be using an additional twist tie to hold the bag closed for about 24 hours. At removal, Iā€™ll open each bag and spray branch and insides of the bag down really well before removing the bag from the branch. I think I could remove it sooner, but I canā€™t find any information about how long it actually takes for the pollination process to complete and I figure 24 hours should be more than adequate

I wonā€™t be putting all the males in 8" pots before I leave Saturday, just the females. I donā€™t want contend with any giant males, my space (actually available lighting) is too limited for that.

Cheers OverGrow
C50

12 Likes

My son-in-law just left his manipulative bitch, after 4 years, so I empathize with your situation. Thereā€™s light at the end of the tunnel, we just wish it wasnā€™t a sewage tunnel. :confounded:

The plants are looking happy :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Your son-in-law?!? Wouldnā€™t his wife be your daughter? :wink:

I want so much to tell him not to marry her, but thatā€™d just get him angry at me. All I can do is ride it out and hope he doesnā€™t get hurt too bad. :confounded:

I hope when it does end, he will move closer to me. I hate that he is in Florida!

They are indeed. It cooled off here over a month ago. I have had the tops of the plants about 3" under the edge of the umbrella reflector for most of the time and none of them are showing any real heat damage.

My OG Kush looks like she is going to be very generous to me. :grin:

6 Likes

Hello all,

Iā€™ve been in a bad state of mind lately and have been doing little else but getting stoned and taking care of my dogs and plants. Also, my oldest dog (96 lb., 13.5 year old Pit Bull), has been trying to not let me out of his sight since I returned from Florida, as if he is worried Iā€™ll leave again and Iā€™ve been babying him a lot.

When I got back home from Florida, all my flowering plants were doing great and had some time before I needed to feed them. It mustā€™ve been much warmer in Veg than Flowering, because, while I flooded all the plants the same on the morning I left, the plants in Veg were so dry I actually knocked one over by just brushing up against it. They drank about 3 quarts each immediately!

I harvested 2 Divyder plants on 11/7 (the day after I returned). I harvested the 2 Chuy Purps x Second Sight 6 days after that (11/13) and I harvested my 1st OG Kush on 11/16. After doing all that, I am tired of trimming and I still have 2 sweet Tooth 4s to harvest tomorrow (11/18). The next harvest date after that is 28 days away, so Iā€™ll get a nice break.

KalGreen, (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine, green phenotype from @Kalgrae. KalGreen is easier to remember.

Iā€™ve smoked enough of the KalGreen now to be able to say with certainty that I like this plant the best out of all Iā€™ve grown from my new seeds. It doesnā€™t matter what other strain Iā€™ve smoked beforehand, a couple tokes of KalGreen and I get higher. I absolutely love this plant! It will need to be a frequent visitor in my grows. Iā€™ve smoked this weed with friends and everyone seems to have the same opinion of it.

Iā€™m going to save enough to compare it to the (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine, purple phenotype. Iā€™ll probably call that one KalPurps.

P100, OG Kush from @Sebring:

I let her go until Flower day 74. I could have harvested a few days earlier. Iā€™d say I had around 50% trichomes turned amber. It took a very long time for all the pistils to go dark. I actually harvested the 2 Chuy Purps x Second Sight first. My guess is that between the accidental re-vegging and reversing, this plant got her internal clock screwed up. Iā€™ll see how long it takes the 2 clones from this plant to flower properly.

I donā€™t have a finished photo for this lady yet. When I started trimming her, she kept falling over. I had to lean it up against a counter to hold it up and then cut off the top half of the plant. I need to finish trimming the lower end today and Iā€™ll lay the pieces out on the floor for a photo.

P102 & P105, Chuy Purps x Second Sight I got from @pookie123

These were ready to axe at flower day 65. I harvested P105 on that day and P102 on flower day 66. I could actually tell these had much amber in the trichomes without a microscope. I verified it anyway with the microscope. This is one instance where my cataracts actually were helpful. When the plants were younger, the frost on the sweet leaves was so white that I looking at it naked eye, my vision wouldnā€™t focus because of the cataracts. When I harvested them, the color of the trichomes had darkened to the point that I could actually look at them naked eye. This is the one and only time I have found my cataracts to be useful!

I removed a small branch from each plant when I returned from Florida (flower day 59). The 2 branches looked to be about the same. Since they were so small, they were ready to smoke in 4 days. Here are after pics of the tops. The yield was pretty skimpy, but the smoke was great!

The high is good. It has zero anxiety factor. It is a very mellow kind of buzz that doesnā€™t couch lock me as much as the KalGreen.

It has a fruit punch taste and smell. The high wasnā€™t as potent as the KalGreen was, but it seems to be stronger than either the Sweet Tooth 4 or Divyder. One really notable mention is the after taste. My mouth tasted as coated as the sweet leaves on the plant after 4-5 hits of my pipe, so I keep a drink nearby when smoking it.

P119, P120, P121, P122, P123, P124, P125, P126, and P127 are the XJ Medley seeds from @99PerCent (and @Jellypowered

).
P119 and P127 are the 2 I was well aware of being female.

At this time, I still thought all 7 were male.

Here they have been trimmed heavily to make pollen collection easy. For several days after this, I didnā€™t pay any attention to the plants, just whether or not they needed feeding.

I donā€™t understand how I could have been so wrong, but P120 and P124 are also females. I didnā€™t even notice it until 11/15, three days after I trimmed the hell out of the 7 plants I knew as male. When all 7 were in their full glory, the female primordia were hidden amongst the flowering branches of their neighbors. When I actually looked at them on the 15th, I couldnā€™t believe that I saw pistils on P120. P124 didnā€™t seem to have any male OR female buds yet, so I am assuming it to be female. It should be noticeable in a couple of days. I wish I had noticed the correct sex on these plants before trimming the hell out of them.

Here are the 2 newly discovered females. P124 may grow somewhat normally, but P120 may not get much accomplished. Part of the trimming I had done was removing the shade leaves from the bottom 2 remaining branch layers. This leaves me with the possibility that I get just enough flowers to pollinate. At flower day 15, the period of stretching is almost over for P120. P124 went into flowering after I came back from Florida. She is on flower day 10

So, the situation here is happier than I thought 2 weeks ago since I now know I have 4 females and 5 males. Since I had stopped making new plants after the XJs to avoid leaving delicate seedlings to fend for themselves while I was out of state, There is an 6 week gap in my flowering schedule.

I should have noticed P124 was too bushy to be male. I probably missed them due to the stress I was feeling before my sonā€™s wedding.

While I am no longer stressed out over his wedding, the winter deepening of my depression has started already. I know it is partially because I havenā€™t lived alone in the winter in nearly 40 years. My sonā€™s wedding made it impossible to hold out hope for him to move back up here, and we have had the first sticking snow and it isnā€™t even Thanksgiving yet. If it wasnā€™t for my dogs, Iā€™d just hibernate the winter away this year.

Cheers

Edit: I forgot some photos. I added them in.

15 Likes