Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

@Sebring. Where did you source you sodiumthiosulfate? And the silver nitrate? My brain is a sieve. Thanks bud.

1 Like

https://www.sciencecompany.com/NSearch.aspx?keywords=Silver+Nitrate+Crystals#?keywords=Silver+Nitrate+Crystals&search_return=all&Category0=Chemicals

Bookmark itā€¦ or Iā€™ve added it to the description on my Youtube video on making STS.

6 Likes

Thanks bud. I appreciate everything. Always cool to see what you got going on.Have a good one. :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

@Baltimore, I found both items at Amazon.com

Sodium Thiosulfate -

Silver Nitrate -

It came to about $70. The sodium Thiosulfate is Pentahydrate, which has 5 extra water molecules compared to anahydrous.

5 Likes

Hey @Cobra50 bro howā€™s things with you and yours.? I was wondering where you been.
Btw. i thank you for the pollen ( some seeds resulted from it.) , what you got running now ,and is all well etc .?
Good to hear/see you back mate ā€¦
Happy growing/smoking
Gaz

2 Likes

Good looking. I might as well make some. People donā€™t have the time plus I wanna keep strains going. I appreciate your time sourcing that. I just wanna make sure I get what I need the first time. Rome wasnā€™t built in a day.

Iā€™ve been practicing taking cuts. Who woulda knew I found a while bottom of my granny s "Schultz rooting powder they donā€™t even make. My cuts are actually looking great. If I could figure out whatā€™s the rust spotting and yellowing of my NL plant.

Iā€™ve learned a lot and met some great people. I stay away from the people who nitpick. Iā€™m starting to see healthy soil=good roots=a healthy plant. Thanks so much. Later yā€™all.

Editā€¦does anyone know if thereā€™s spots to buy f2f soils and different things like coco the chunky kind and the soil mixture kind. Thanks for the help. I wanna make more so batch for the winter/cold months.
-J

3 Likes

There is no hydro or real garden shops near us. Everywhere carries miracle grow. Depot want ridiculous money for coco. And they dont even carry good soil. Only preloaded mg soils And the like. Thatā€™s why wheni mix i order the biggest roots organics i can get without doing going crazy. Couple blocks coco also roots organics and a big bag perelite. For perelite again stores only have mg preloaded but the numbers are real low on the perelite so i just use it. Bulk size makes perelite expensive online. Shipping.

1 Like

Hey @Gaz29,

Things are better. Iā€™ve gotten a new dog to fill the hole left in my life. Iā€™ve been focusing on my dogs a lot. And my new roomies. My 38 y.o. stepson, Brian, and my 41 y.o. brother, Toby, have both come to live with me.

Brianā€™s life has been a mess for several years. He is working 2 jobs now and his outlook is improving.

Toby couldnā€™t make enough money in the area of Cadillac, MI, where he was living with his lady friend and her daughter. He got totally screwed in his divorce and his obligations to his childrenā€™s support required more money than he could make there so he came back for a better income.

It has taken quite a while to get used to having people living with me again. I wish they would both make some friends here or develop hobbies. I feel like I need to be around them all the time. If only one is home and I go down to take care of my gardens, the person I let upstairs just goes to bed. Same thing if I go to my room to work. It makes me feel bad that they canā€™t think of anything to do other than sleep when I leave the room.

I have finally adjusted to my boy having moved away. It only took me about 15 months. He and his wife came out to see me (and all there friends here) for the 4th of July holiday. The rented a car and drove out. I sent them back to FL with and ounce and a half each of 8 different kinds of weed. They havenā€™t yet decided on their favorites. I gave them OG Kush, XJ Medley, KalGreen, Chocolate Kush, Scissor-Hanzā€™s G13 x Afghani #1, Rogue One, Churple Sight (what I call Chuy Purps x Second Sight), and my freshly recovered (kind of), St. Louis Sleeper.

I say I ā€œkind ofā€ recovered the Sleeper, because I only got 1 seed of all the 47, 7 year old St. Louis Sleepers. It was a female. I reversed a cutting and have been collecting pollen from it for the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, my yield has been very skimpy. The bananas never really fatten up. Itā€™s crazy because there are many more male flowers on my reversed female than a male would have. I should have enough to get around 100 seeds.

I made KalGreen F3 seeds when I grew another plant, my P157. So far the KalGreen from @Kalgrae is still one of my favorites, so I have two F3 KalGreen in flowering now.

I am happy the Chocolate Kush pollen I sent you was still viable. Did you grow out the Choc Kush seeds yet? Chocolate Kush is also a favorite. It is a hard hitting 100% indica. I gotta be careful how much I smoke of it. Iā€™ve lost many days to it. The same with the KalGreen. I get to smoking either of those and I end up tremendously couch locked!

I like the Choc Kush so well, that I currently have fresh crosses of it with G13 x Afghani #1 (also a favorite), Rogue One, KalGreen, and St. Louis Sleeper. I made the crosses as much for the feminizing, as the crossing. I had gotten over 4 grams of pollen from my Choc Kush, so there are more crossings to comeā€¦

I also have 3 Blue Haze Widow autos (nearing harvest), a White Dragon, a Wedding Champagne in Flowering. I have 3 DJ Short Blueberry in Veg. I have an OG Kush (Brianā€™s favorite), a Chocolate Kush, and 2 fem Gorilla Glue #4 seedlings. Lastly, I have 6 LowRyder x Devil #1 pheno from @ReikoX that have been in Germ for just over 24 hours. All 6 have already popped, just waiting for the tap roots to reach at least 12mm to plant them.

@Scissor-Hanz donā€™t know if you have a name for your G13 x Afghani #1 crossing, but Iā€™ve been calling it Gā€™Afghani. If you have a preferred name, let me know. Those were some excellent plants, my friend! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll be back with some details on these grows as well as sources of the seeds and photos.

Cheers!

:Edit: several typos

7 Likes

More gifts like this :arrow_upper_right: and theyā€™ll maybe move back near youā€¦ lol).
So youā€™ve been busy with life and still growing lots of stuff, got new flat mates and your dogs are also keeping you active, good stuff bro.
I was thinking of running some of kalgraesā€™ DM x BC NN/BCmango, i really enjoyed the few i grew about a year agoā€¦ plus Iā€™ll definitely try the choco kush - cheers for the heads up on the kalgreen putting you to sleep etc. I also grew and enjoyed the g13/Afghani #1 from @Scissor-Hanz - iv got some peakseedsā€™ blueberry f2ā€™s from him still to run.
I have a couple of DBHP females and a few autoā€™s running at a friends house ( iv just stopped growing recently to get rid of gnats) and stick a bigger tent up etc.

Anyway good to hear from you and, Iā€™ll be watching for your grows ā€¦
Take care n have a good day , talk again soon.
Gaz

4 Likes

The ā€˜Mango Moonshineā€™ from @Kalgrae is one of the neighborhood favourites around here, love the smell.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s one way to get rid of those Flyinā€™ Fuckers. :smile:

Is that (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine? If yes That is what Iā€™m calling KalGreen (mine is the green phenotype). I like ā€œMango Moonshineā€. Whatever the name used, it is one great plant! It is one of my favorites. :smile: I have 2 more in my Flowering room now.

5 Likes

Hello Overgrow.

Iā€™ve been going through over 1200 picture files to put names to them. My left shoulder has been bothering my so much the last 6-8 months that Iā€™ve been doing as little keyboarding as possible. After a while, the trapezius gets all knotted up and puts a strain on my neck that ends up becoming a loud, sharp pain. Because of this, I got really lazy about naming photos as I took them and I am paying for it now. When I finish naming photos, Iā€™ll present a posting covering what Iā€™ve been doing so far this year. Should be soonā€¦

3 Likes

Yep thatā€™s the one, and one of my mothers.

2 Likes

Greetings fellow growers,

I finally have enough photo files processed to get started with this posting. I had forgotten that I need to reduce my 18 megapixel photos to upload them. I prefer the high definition for help diagnosing problems, so I will always need to shrink 35% to upload.

I will start where I left off last time with a few photos of my Gā€™Afghani grow (G13 x Afghani #1 from @Scissor-Hanz). At my last update in March, the males had been in flowering for a week and the females were still in Veg. Iā€™ll skip ahead a bit.

Here is the male I kept (P148), along with a female to pollinate (P145). At flower day 31, the male is quite far along, while the female is still very early in its flower cycle.

Here are harvest views of the girls.

First up, P145. She was fully pollinated from P148.

P146, I only have after trim views of this one.

Now, P149. Notice that she is wearing some 1" diameter round tags. These tags identify both the mother and the father. Because I pollinated had the 4 different branches, I removed each and bagged it in a brown paper bag to dry. I didnā€™t take any after trim photos for this reason

And last, P151. I only took after trim pics of this girl:

These ladies were excellent! The they averaged 23" tall and were plentiful providers. The fragrance and taste were pleasant (itā€™s been too long to remember what it smelled and tasted like). I made a nice, relaxing high without bringing on the nods.

I pollinated P145 with just Gā€™Afghani pollen. P149 got pollinated with P98, Mango Moonshine [Kalgraeā€™s ((BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine) green phenotype]; P104, Churple Sight (Chuy Purps x Second Sight from Cannabeizein); P129, feminized Chocolate Kush from Kropduster at Strainly.io; P153, is a Rogue One from new420guyseeds.org. This exact one can be found on SeedFinder.

I learned from these plants that I use way too much pollen when pollinating. I kept thinking ā€œhow can so little actually work?ā€. It just does. I ended up with seeds on P146 and P151 even though I hadnā€™t pollinated them. I always separate the females when I pollinate and then rinse them down before putting them back into the main Flowering room.

These were the only plants in flowering at the time, so the pollen sources of P146 and P151 could be from either or both P145 and P149. I only collect seeds from the branches I deliberately pollinate. Normally, I would dispose of the seeds I canā€™t absolutely identify. I decided that with these, Iā€™d keep them because all the pollen donators were high quality genetics.

There are several possible reasons for accident:

1- When my stepson and brother moved in, I could no longer keep my Maleroom in a spare bedroom (there are none anymore), so I had to move it to the basement where my main Flowering room is. It is on the opposite side of the basement, but the basement isnā€™t huge and there are a helluva lot of fans turning down there. I was only turning off the fans in the area of the Maleroom.

2- I may not have been rinsing the plants thoroughly enough.

3- I was carrying pollen with me on my hands and/or clothing.

Since then, I wear disposable nitrile gloves and a tyvek clean room suit during collection I take it off and fold it so the front of it is folded inside. I spray it down completely in the shower to get it ready for the next time. I also turn of ALL fans in the basement and close the doors to any space that has plants bearing pistils.

Lastly, I set the plant in a large, plastic pan and I spray it until I have saturated the pollinated plant (with tap water) twice before moving it back to Flowering. When I say saturate, I mean I spray it down until water is running off of it. I let it dry back out for the rest of the day and do it again the next day. When it finishes drying off, it goes back into Flowering.

Also, I no longer pollinate as soon as pistils show. I wait until I have buds about 12-14mm (1/2" - 9/16") across. This is usually flower day 18-23. It seems when there are a lot of pistils, a little bit of pollen goes a long way. I used to want my seeds as mature as possible, now I am happy with them getting 30 days to mature.

The next plants I pollinated demonstrated to me that my new process works just fine. It is a royal pain taking those precautions and my main Flowering room gets damn hot, so I need to work quickly so I can get the doors open and the fans back on.

I now use about .05 grams of pollen per project. Big savings! I generally collect 2 grams or more so it will last a very long time! I store my collection in single use, vacuum packed Mylar bags. I store those, typically, in heavy duty 3x5" zip lock bags along with either one 10 gram or two 5 gram color changing desiccant packs. I have an airtight 4x6x3 plastic box that I have all my pollen stored. This then goes to the very bottom of the chest freezer I bought specifically for storing seeds and pollen.

Thatā€™s all for now. I will post more times as I get pictures processed and rough drafts written.

Cheers OverGrow. :relaxed:
C50

6 Likes

Hi OG,

I canā€™t believe so much time has already passed since my last update! My days donā€™t even seem that busy until I review my day at the end. I love taking care of my plants, but right now with the summer heat and humidity, I feel like I am working a full time job.

The only other gifted seeds Iā€™ve grown out recently is the LowRyder x TheDevil, pheno #1. These seeds have very been impressive so far.

I started germinating 6 of them on 7/21. Every seed sprouted enough to plant in 39 hours.

My 1st photo was taken 2 days after the initial planting which was done on germination day 2. During the hottest days of the year, I leave my baby box open to control the heat. Because this doesnā€™t control the humidity, I use the top of a 2 liter soda bottle to cover each seedling until the 1st set of serrated leaves get to about 3/8" long (10mm). The 1st photo shows this. The 2nd view is sans cover, so they can be seen more clearly.

The 2nd photo is the same photo session with the mini humidity domes removed to see detail.

Iā€™ve been using the mini domes for years, I just havenā€™t posted a photo with them on before. It just occurred to me that it may be of interest to someone.

This next photo shows them on sprout day 9. They are about a week ahead of most of the photo period plants.

The following picture is of sprout day 18. They are large and healthy for such young plants.

Some of them mustā€™ve been showing primordia at the time, but I didnā€™t even look for it until 8/13, when all but P192 had primordia. I wouldnā€™t have looked so early but a naked eye male bud was staring me in the face on P193. The primordia P197 was so small that I needed 3X magnification to see it was male primordia.

This last shot was taken a few hours ago. They got moved into the Veg area under the SolSheet about 14 hours earlier. Look at the difference 6 days made in their lives.

{192-197, 2019-08-16, sprout day 24 -001}

BTW, P192 has still not show its sex yet. Since it is the last, I feel it will be female. I have my fingers crossed for it anyway. So far my 6 plants have given me 3 males and 2 females, so it is not much of a stretch to believe this one will be female. The seed lots I grow out rarely favor on sex over the other.

Strangely, all of the odd numbered plants are male. Also interesting is the fact that there is a tall, a medium height, and a short male, though not as obviously, there are also a tall, medium, and short of the 2 known females and the suspected female.

I currently have a freshly pollinated DJ Short blueberry in my (new) 2ā€™x2ā€™x5ā€™ grow tent (more on both the plant and the tent in my Cradle to Grave thread). I like a pollinated plant to have a week, so new pistils coming up can get pollinated from the pollen still sitting on the plant, before drenching the plant in a water spray to wash away any stray pollen still in place.

In five days the tent will be free and I will put all 3 LRxTD1 males in there and wait until fill out and get close to blossoming to decide which male is the most desirable for use as a dad and destroy the other two.

Also, I have pollinated each of the autos Iā€™ve grown in the past months on, or around, sprout day 30, seeds start falling off around 60-65 days. I am intending on waiting until approximately day 50 to pollinate. Up to this point, I pollinated each female, but only kept the seeds from the plant I like the best at the end. I prefer a plant to be approximately 24" tall and bushy so I choose the seeds to keep based on how the female matches up. But I see when I look back at photos taken, that the phenotype and future yield are totally obvious around day 50, so this time I plan to pollinate just that plant and enjoy the seedless quality of the other two.

Iā€™ll update this grow every couple of weeks.

The next seeds I start are going to be the Asad Kashmir hash plant I got from @Barefrog. Watch for that grow to start in the coming few weeks.

In the meantime, I have a lot of plants growing from purchased seeds as well as finished plants. I will be attempting to get to updating my Cradle to Grave thread with those in the days ahead.

Until next time,
C50

Edit: I added description to the 2nd photo
Edit 2: My apologies to @Barefrog for forgetting the @ sign in his name above. So glad you found it anyway. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Glad to see you are enjoying those autos. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

Bro, they are awesome. The last one showed HER sex today. 3 of each. I should be able to find a cute couple out of them. :smiley:

3 Likes

Apols for necroing an older part of the thread, but if it is useful to anyone recently I stumbled across a number of research papers that indicate the optimal dosage of Silver Nitrate is about 100 micrograms for feminising. Preaching to the choir here a bit I know, but for anyone who may not know, itā€™s the silver that inhibits the ethylene and results in the ā€˜maleā€™ flowers. Cobalt Chloride with also have the same result, though it is not as potent and dosage is in the 300 - 500 micro gram range. Silver Nitrate ( and probably cobalt chloride) will work poorly by itself if sprayed on the leaves because transport by the plant is not very effective, and phyto toxicity is a problem also, hence CS or Thiosulphate.
In one paper I read on feminising hops, they made a solution of 100 mg of Silver nitrate to 100 ml of distilled water and then used a 100 unit hypodermic to inject 10 units for a dose of 100 micro grams into the stem of the branch they wanted to induce to produce male flowers. This was a once only treatment as uptake of the silver nitrate is gradual. I am thinking I am going to do some tests with this idea because call be lazy but it sounds like it woudl be a fuckton easier that spraying all the time. If anyone is interested, Iā€™ll try and locate the papers I found this information.

4 Likes

Can you pm me a link and a little description if you get the time. Hope your well. Holler at me sometime. I enjoyed speaking with you. Have a good one dude.

2 Likes