Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

Like my grandfather use to say, “Just keep going, the only way out is through.

For the first time in my life I’m going through a major depression event myself. Scheduled an appointment with a psychologist the coming week and I’m pretty sure they’re going to put me on short term meds to hard reset my serotonin levels.

Just remember to reach out for help if it feels like it’s getting out of control or if it isn’t going away after a few weeks. You’ve got resourceful friends here that will help you without judgement!

6 Likes

Thank you for your concern @Sebring

Your grandfather is abso-fragging-lutely right! Mental pain diminishes with time.

I’ve been depressed for as long as I remember and have been treated with meds since 1992. I am on two different SSRI meds to control how bad it gets. You should have seen me when the company I worked for for 20 years moved the operation to Mexico at the end of 2000

Then there is the deepening of my depression during winter months. It isn’t a major depression, just a very persistent one.I don’t know if it is the weather, lack of sunshine, or the holidays (I can’t remember when I enjoyed Christmas and that includes childhood), I get so bad in the winter, usually starting when Christmas carols become inescapable and lasting until it is pleasant outside, that most years I contact my Dr. and get my dosage increased for the winter months.

I get thru it every year, obviously, but this is the first time in more than 40 years that I live alone when winter hit. The upside of this winter is my grows are phenomenal! I did have flyin’ fuckers try to get me this year but I kept them at bay. I am going into this winter with the strongest grows in at least a decade. as soon as Christmas has come and gone, I’ll be able to afford some SolStrips. Spending money usually pulls up my spirits and the improvement in temperature and light efficiency will bring them up even more.

Thanks for caring. :smiley:

7 Likes

Your entire description matches my own symptoms very closely, so I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only person that associates the Christmas season with the need for all the Christmas stuff to stop so my mood can improve :smirk:.
I’m excited that you’re grow is really strong! Few things feel as good as having a mostly trouble free grow of healthy plants! It seems like the battle against the insect world is never ending, I’m fighting off fungus gnats myself, but they’re no challenge for nematodes and H.miles mites!
You’re the only other person that I’m telling, and whoever else reads this :wink:, but doing the Bodhi seed run has helped my mental state immensely. It’s given me something to focus on instead of illogically sabotaging the rest of the relationships in my life. I’m sure you understand the need for a substantial connection to a community to act as a safety net of support and OG has been a great place to fulfill part of that need for me. :blush:
I bought a couple of the solstrip X3 rail systems and I’m loving them. I wasn’t sure they were worth it when I first built and installed them, but they’ve proven to be stronger workhorses than I imagined. They’ve been well worth the cost.

5 Likes

Hey @Cobra50, I’ts nice to hear that the Chuy Purps I sent you turned out good despite not producing alot… They sure do look frosty though!
I have a friend that suffers from depression also… He also says that he hates the winter… His wife moved up to michigan for a job and he refused to go because the cold makes him more depressed so I would concur that the cold has something to do with it… I’m sorry that you are having to deal with depression… Have you thought of possibly moving down to Florida to be close to your son ? The advantages would be two fold, you would have family nearby and the winters are much milder here… The only bad is that right now we are only a medical cannabis state, but I think that will change around 2020 election hopefully… :relaxed:

2 Likes

Not even close @Sebring. According to the psychiatrist that was prescribing for me, it is the worst time of the year for about half of the population.

Me too. It is too bad I don’t have photos from when my grows were just getting me and my kid to the next harvest. I am still growing about the same number of plants. While currently of getting a couple of autos every 90ish days (I didn’t do autos until the first Divyders I got from @ReikoX). I always had 8-9 plants in Flowering at any given time previously. I was harvesting 2 plants every 3 weeks, also similar to now, and I was lucky to get 2 oz per harvest then. I’m getting an average of 2.5 oz per plant now.

I’ve not used the mites, but I relied heavily on s.f. nematodes for almost 16 months straight. They do a great job on thrips as well if you are using coco (probably need to enter the nematodes through the drain dishes with soil since it doesn’t drain straight through soil the way coco does).

Thrips really tried to get me this year, but after all the time I spent looking at thrip larvae in my microscopes that I now recognize the pattern of movement of the little fuckers in my feed water. I bottom feed because the gnats prefer wet top substrate and bottom feeding leaves the top dry enough to blow out of the container occasionally. After the plants have drawn enough water in through the drain holes, the dish hold water. While pouring my feed, I make sure to make a water current around the pot. Thrip larvae can then be seen floating in the water. They seem to somehow stay centered between the dish and the pot and will be moving in directions not created by the water flow. They move so fast, they appear to be jumping at times.

When I see them, I spray Garden Safe brand Insecticidal Soap into the water until it get very milky. (I get the stuff at Menards for about $5.50 per quart spray bottle.) I then put on my magnifier visor and watch the little fuckers try to avoid death. They will even goes as far as to climb the side of the container to get away, but they die there. I have been getting a fresh wave of them every 5-7 days.

This tactic has paid off nicely!

All I have is my SolSheet O and a single X3 strip and I am sold on them. My clones love the X3 and my autos thrive under the SolSheet O.

I want to use them to illuminate a 4’x 6’ section of the 4’x 10’ room my flowering room is in. I currently use about 4’x 4’ with my 42" umbrella and a 750W hps. I am not sure if I will go with X2s or X3s when I build mine. The X3s create a verybright light, but if I use the X2s, I can have more of them and mount them to each other for my 750W goal. I’m thinking it would make for a more solid ceiling of light. I’ve got around 2 months to make my decision.

Some plants just aren’t real high yielders @pookie123. Doesn’t matter though, it was only on the low side of average yield and it hits great! These are looking to be my 2nd favorite of the new plants I’ve grown this year. I may have even caused the smaller buds by leaving them under my 120W and 50W warm corn lights too long. My main lamp was crowded, so I left them there for 2 weeks until the next harvest made room for them in the main room. I use the corn lights in my Maleroom for collecting pollen and for pollinating. The illumination may not be strong enough in there for long term flowering of females. The males are so thinly covered in leaves that they get excellent penetration. I’ll see what happens the next time since they will be seedless and won’t get segregated.

I don’t know if you kept any for yourself when you did your giveaway, but you are welcome to some from this grow. Seems only fair since I wouldn’t even have them if not for you.

According to my doctor, winter depression is very common. Depression from the holiday season is even more common with many holiday depressed folks getting over it the first week of January.

Not the remotest bit interested. Florida heat is way to humid. Also, I don’t find the addition of hurricanes to the weather to be enticing. I once thought in Florida, you swap tornadoes for hurricanes. Then I found out you guys get tornadoes too. No thanks, I’ll stay in the relative calm of the Midwest.

It’s just a fact of my life. My meds and my weed make life tolerable. Weddings, make me as depressed as holidays and winter. Small wonder that my winter depression started early. This winter will be almost a new experience for me, since this is the first winter I’ve been alone since I was single originally.

Winter is when my grows are at their best due to the lower temperatures and this winter it is better than it’s been in a long time so I just have to focus on that. Buying new lights after New Year’s will hopefully drag me right out of my funk.

Hopefully a lot more will change with that election!!

5 Likes

Hey @Cobra50 I’ve been getting your emails, when checking, and am glad you like the smoke. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I read them. My apologies for not chiming in sooner, I’ve been a bit discombobulated the last several months.

By all means I think you have successfully coined the name so anyone using those seeds doesn’t have to write out some erroneously long ass name. Kalgreen/Kalpurps is stellar. All credit due to you. Let me know if you’d like some more to toss in the mix.

Cheers
k

7 Likes

That’s fair. It puts a huge smile on my face when I smoke it! :heart_eyes: That is an awesome crossing. I’ve got to figure out a rating system to add to my strain database. I need to figure out what is important about to a rating. If I was to rate KalGreen, it would get very high marks for buzz, taste, fragrance.

The head is pretty easy to rate. One a scale of 1 to 10, I’d put it at 9. The only reason it isn’t rated higher is so if it turns out a different strain is more potent, I have a place to rate it.

The hard part is deciding how to rate taste and smell. I need something as tangible as rating the high. I have been trying to figure out SeedFinder’s rating system, but I haven’t found where the info is about it. If anyone here has a rating system that works, or knows of one, or just has an idea to add, I’d very much appreciate it.

I understand. This time of the year puts me out of sorts every time. Here’s hoping things get more pleasant for you. :pray:

I was calling it Kalgrae Green when I realized KalGreen was an easy shift. Glad you like it. It rolls off the tongue much easier than its breeding name and it much easier on my sort term memory. :wink:

I’ll be putting KalPurps in to germ soon. I was going to put it off for a few months to grow out other new stuff, but it is so good, I’ll germ the KalPurps after I get my next set of autos out of my clone box. I am positive I like it, and so do my friends, so I will want some more soon.

I ran 2 sets of clones from my Sweet Tooth 4. I just harvested the last pair last night and this morning. I feel like I grew too many of them since the KalGreen, Divyders, Chuy Purps x 2nd Sight all out performed the ST4 in every way.

I have over 30 different strains to grow out yet and I have decided to not acquire any new ones until I get closer to the end. Of course, being an indica lover, if someone came up with a super indica, I’d make an exception. :grinning:

Happy growing! :smile:
C50

5 Likes

I have the two pheno’ s of the biglongname ( @Kalgrae’s ) cross flowering just now and they both look n smell good, im hoping that will be some Xmas smoke mate.

Sorry to hear about your experience with your new daughter in law ( hoping to be ex, lol.! ) , i guess you got to let him make his own mistakes and be there for him when/if he does need you and it sounds like he knows your there. .!!

Anyway i always enjoy catching up with this thread as it’s a great way to find out how some beans we all have, perform etc.
And did you crack any choco Kush yet curious to see how that does.
You have a good day and keep your chin up , always better daze ahead my friend.
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz

7 Likes

Definitely my favorite so far, @Gaz29. Everyone I’ve shared the KalGreen with has raved about it! Not sure about a Christmas buzz from it though, if you want amber trikes, it needs 63 days in Flowering.

I haven’t cracked the KalPurps yet but will be sometime soon. These @Kalgrae plants are freaking killer weed.

Yes, I have. I have a new topic for my purchased seeds, as well as any followup grows from gifted seeds, and clones. You can see them here:

I decided to leave this topic as the 1st time grow of seeds gifted to me only.

My oldest dog, Hyde, is 13.5 YO, 95 lb Pit Bull. That is quite old for a dog his size.

He is having quite a bit of trouble lately. He has very worn hips so he needs help sometimes getting on the bed or a couch. He sometimes can’t make it outside to pee. I need to watch him when he poops because sometimes he falls back into it. His right fore leg isn’t strong anymore and he has trouble standing sometimes as it slides away on him. I’m bringing him in to the vet Wed to have surgery to remove a small bump on his head that has been infected 3 times in the last month. He isn’t eating well lately either. I realized recently that it has been a long time since he chewed rawhide. The vet is going to look at his teeth and remove the ones giving him trouble.

This isn’t helping my Winter depression at all.

Trying to keep my sunny side up. :sunny:
C50

6 Likes

Hey @Cobra50 mate that’s an older pic ,trust me - these are elsewhere & will be ready for Xmas both have really thick dense kola’s and smell excellent and after your smoke review of it i’m even more looking forward to it now.

I will catch up with your other thread soon enough bud. And really sorry to hear about your dog :poodle:, good luck with the vet this week. .!

Well you smoke some weed and chill … im sure we all have bouts of depression this time of year ,eh. .!?
You take care and keep your chin up my friend.
Gaz

2 Likes

I haven’t updated this thread since 11/18/18. I’m trying very hard to eliminate my awful state of mind. If anyone is curious as to what has kept me away, take a look at this post:

A lot has happened, grow related, during this time. I took photos of everything I worked on, but didn’t bother to give them appropriate names, so it is taking me quite a bit of time to catch up on my threads.

I completed my XJ Medley grow. I’m not sure how, but I managed to focus enough to finish it up. Not everything I did during this time worked out so well.

When I last posted about @99PerCent XJ Medley seeds I received from @Jellypowered , I had just taken the 2 females, P120 and P124, I had mistaken as males, and put them in main Flowering room with P119 and P127.

I destroyed male P126 after a week had passed since the other 4 males (P121, P122, P123, P125) had started dropping pollen. It was the runt of the XJM seeds and its flowers matured very slowly.

I kept and used male plants P121, P122, P123, P125.

Since I had 4 males to harvest pollen from, I collected pollen sacks and buds that were swollen with pollen only. That and pollen as it fell from its flower. Each plant’s pollen was collected on a separate black paper plate, then transferred to a seal-able 5ml amber glass jar and marked with the plant’s designation.

The following image is typical of what the plates looked like after collection:

This pic shows all the collection plates when completed.

As one might expect, P120 and P124 never got very big, hard for that to happen when I had removed all the veg growth leaves by 11-15.

I pollinated each plant with the pollen from each of the 4 males. This was more of a practice exercise than a necessity.

Notice that I isolated each branch I pollinated. I also used a string tag to mark hich plant the pollen came from. The plants that I pollinated the lowest branches on needed only to isolate from the branches above. The branches that were not all the way at the bottom, I used a plate above and one under to keep the pollen on the branch I was working with.

119 and 127, the 2 tall plants, I pollinated branches near the top of the plant. I could use plates to isolate 2 branches directly across the plant from each other. The branches between them left no room for plates, so I drilled a 3/8 hole in the center of plastic cups and cut them down the side so I could “open” the cup and surround the branch with it. I really liked this manner of pollinating because it isolated the branches better. I will continue to use this method in the future. I bought some 28oz plastic cups to use the next time.

Here is a group of photos that show what the plants looked like approximately 3/4 way through flowering:

I harvested partials of P119 and P127 because they had been pollinated closer to the finish date than P120 and P124. I harvested the seedless portions first to give the seeds more time to mature. P120 and P124 got harvested all at once. My before trim image of P124 turned out poorly, so I only have after trim images of that plant.

To harvest the seeds, I covered each seeded branch with a storage bag and cut it off. Some seeds fell outside of the bags and were put in a bottle of mixed seeds. I have 4 bottles of seeds from each female. Each bottle is marked with the mother plant and father plant identifiers as well as a date.

Look of the flowers at harvest was similar, although the fragrance is different between each plant:

P119 smells of pine as well as a hint of concentrate, P127 a fragrance of pepper and floral.
P120 has an aroma of pine and citrus in equal amounts, P124 reminds me of pencil shavings.

Despite the physical differences, I can discern no difference at all in the high. One friend thinks the high of P119 is more sativa than the others, but no one else concurs.

I like the high from these plants for a daytime smoke. They produce a nice body buzz and clear head, allowing me to get things done while smoking it. When I am ready to relax for the day, I can smoke a heavy hitting indica and mellow right out.

I have jars of weed from every grow in my cannabis bar. These XJ medley hybrids make a nice addition to it.

I have a lot more to post, but I need to sort and name those pics yet.

Have a good day OverGrow!
C50

12 Likes

P139 - Honeysuckle, feminized, by Advanced Female Seeds. This was given to me by @Gaz29

This is the only seed I have. I have no idea how old it is or how it was stored. With this in mind, I have chosen to use the germination bomb to get the process started. Germination bomb and solution was detailed here:

12/20/2018 9:50 PM -
First order of business is to clean the seed. I put the seed into a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and 3% H2O2. I shook the container vigorously for 60 seconds and let it sit for 15 minutes, shaking occasionally.

While the seed was soaking in the cleaning solution, I mixed a solution for use in the GBomb. The base of the solution is my Plantwater. My Plantwater is mixed as 5 gallons of my R.O. water (my R.O. unit actually adds 15 PPM of calcium and magnesium) with 20ml HydroGuard. This mixture then gets pH set to 5.8 pH.

Here is the solution I used:

3.5 liters of Plantwater
7ml Ful-Power
3.5ml CleanKelp
3.5ml of DMSO
7 drops of Superthrive

Stirred thoroughly.

I’ve experimented quite a bit with the GBomb and already knew that it is best to change the solution at least every 24 hours, so I mix 3.5 liters at a time. This formula is based on the one in the above posting. I converted it to milliliters and tweaked it just a bit.

I left out the H2O2 because it seemed to me that the major use for it is to add extra oxygen to the solution. With the solution getting heavily aerated, I didn’t think it was necessary.

12/20/2018 10:41 PM -
Put into the germination bomb using 500ml of solution in the GBomb. Turned on the air pump. I placed the jar on top of the remote thermostat probe. I set the temperature to 82°F.

At this time, I was using a 2 lpm air pump and 2 air stones. I ran the air stones on 2 separate lines to be positive of covering more area in the jar.

12/21/2018 11:49 PM -
I checked on my seed. It had not cracked yet. I changed the solution for fresh and re-started the G-Bomb.

12/22/2018 10:43 PM -
I checked the seed again. It had not cracked yet. It had been 48 hours since I put it in the G-Bomb. I don’t want to waterlog my only seed. I put the seed in a paper towel between ceramic plates on heat mat. The towel is folded many times. The seed is set on the folded towel leaving a single layer to cover the seed after moistening.

Since paper towels contain no nutritional elements, I used my Babywater to to moisten the paper towel.

This is the formula for my Babywater:
1 gallon of Plantwater
1ml Cal-Mag Plus
1ml FloraGrow

12/23/2018 2:39 PM -
Checked. No progress yet. The paper towel dried out somewhat, so I re-moistened it.

12/24/2018 2:41 PM -
Still no joy. I wiped off the evaporated water from the top plate. I re-moistened the paper towel again.

12/25/2018 8:00 PM -
Seed cracked. :slight_smile: Re-moistened. Each time I moisten the paper towel, I provide just enough moisture to dampen the towel to the touch.

12/26/2018 4:18 PM -
Seed is completely cracked.

12/27/2018 6:35 PM -
Growth under shell is slow, but moving along nonetheless.

This sprouting seed has an unusual hypocotyl (emerging sprout). It almost looks like the seed wants to have 2. I’ve only seen this a few times.

12/28/2018 7:18 PM -
Tap root continues to grow. It is about 4mm long. Moistened the towel anew.

12/29/2018 9:41 PM -
Grown almost completely out of the shell. Time to plant it.

12/29/2018 10:08 PM -
Although I normally grow in coco, I planted this seed into some Fox Farm Happy Frog soil. I did this because of the extremely slow growth of the hypocotyl (the emerging sprout). When I was trying to grow out some difficult seeds, I failed each attempt. Several other members had success with the same seeds and each of them had planted in soil, so I decided to give it a try.

1/3/2018
Five days in pot. Looks pretty normal.

1/6/2019
This seedling has been in its pot for 8 days and it is either dead or growing VERY slowly. The cotyledons (starter leaves) have been above the soil surface . They still green, but have gotten thin. I am continuing to keep an eye on it.

1/11/2019
This seed never completed, even though the cotyledons (starter leaves) are still green.

I didn’t until I looked at these photos at all until 2/26 when I was naming. When I did, this is what I saw in a closeup.

Needless to say, I panicked over this and started this thread:

You’ll see in upcoming posting for Cradle to grave. Seeds, clones, STS, germination and more that I lost another seed and it too had these bulb mites all over it. I was certain they were responsible for these deaths, however the general consensus seems to be that they are harmless, possibly even beneficial. If they are, I need to keep looking to find an answer as to why this seed died.

Before I ever saw the mites, I was sure it was that the honeysuckle seed was old, possibly not taken proper care of. I had gotten it from @Gaz29 but he had gotten it from someone else. Who knows how many hands it passed through and how aware they were about seed care. So, while I was disappointed, I wasn’t alarmed.

Then I started the next grow… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

My next grow, I chose to use my 4 “The Black x Champagne” that I’d gotten in a giveaway from @deep_rob in middle of last year.

1/3/2019
The first thing I did was to turn on my heat pad, temp controlled to 82°. I also filled the GBomb with it and set it on the. This was to get it up to temp before placing the seeds in it. It may be an unnecessary precaution, but it is my procedure.

I cleaned the seeds using the exact method I used on P139 above. I like to use an Erlenmeyer flask with a rubber stopper for this.

Once they were cleaned, I put them into the GBomb using 500ml of my std GBomb solution (the same formula as used for P139 [my last post]), and started it up. My previous experimenting with the GBomb have made it my preferred method to germinate. It goes much faster than starting in paper towels.

I checked on them at 21 hours. They remained uncracked. I changed the solution in the GBomb and started it back up.

1/4/19
I checked on the seeds again after 33 hours in the GBomb. They were popped, so I moved them to paper towels between a pair of ceramic plates to sprout a little more without out risking the hypocotyl from the agitation in the GBomb. There are many details in the canning jar I used which just makes more surfaces for them to bang against.

1/6/19
After a total of 19 hours between paper towels and the “the Black x Champagne” seeds were ready to plant. Actually, they should have gotten planted a few hours earlier, but those hours occurred whilst I was sleeping.

Edit: The previous photo was swapped. The one that was there had been of the next grow.

At this point, I only thought P139 (which was still going) was a slow growing plant. When I started my 4 Black Champagne seeds, I continued to use the Happy Frog soil. The soil was more expensive than my CocoGro, so I made a little pocket of soil in each of four 6" pots that were filled with the coco.

I had made up the pots while the seeds were in the GBomb and covered them with drain dishes to prevent the substrates from drying out.

As I eluded to in my last post, I had another total failure immediately after I lost the honeysuckle (P139). This grow was it. I am still trying to figure out what happened. They sprouted quickly, they should have been very healthy, yet after 8 days in pots, they still looked like this:

I lightly nudged one and it came right out of the soil, tap root all shriveled. I nudged another and got the same results. I then just pulled the last 2 out of the soil and they were also shriveled up.

Let me be clear about one thing, I DO NOT believe it to be the fault of the seeds. As quickly as they sprouted, they had to be healthy seeds. It was either something I did or pests. I was way more than just disappointed that I failed this grow. I was really looking forward to this one.

I started this grow was right after I had made plans for a vet to come out on 1/26 to put my best friend (see my avatar) to sleep. I was a basket case at that point. I cried all the time. I was numb. I could think of nothing else. The reason it was so far out was I wanted the last thing Hyde knew in life to be the loving attentions of his dad, my son. But it was nearly 3 weeks before he would be able to come up from FL due to work, longer if I waited until he could afford the flights.

I had 3 weeks of feeling horrible about Hyde’s impending passing. I was working with these seeds during that time. I may have let them get too dry. I can’t really be sure I didn’t enter it in my records. The photos I have of the seeds during that time seem to indicate they were dry. Hell, the way I was feeling at the time, I could have done any number of fatal things and would not have known.

This was grow just one more thing to make me feel like absolute :poop: I stopped even trying to start more seeds for about a week. When I did finally start more seeds on 1/14, I had to force myself to pay frequent attention to them.

Now that I have found the mites in the photos of P139, I’ve examined these pics for any sign of them. I’m not seeing any, however, these seeds gave me no reason to take pics at a high magnification the way P139 had.

With my new resolve to pay closer attention, the next seed grow went totally excellent!

8 Likes

Im sorry to hear about your sorrows my friend, I send you warm wishes, your not alone my friend. Glad to hear your resolve paid off buddy, can’t wait to see how they go

2 Likes

Jackie, Hyde’s little sister, is quite demanding of my time since Hyde left us. I will get to posting about my grow of @Scissor-Hanz G13 x Afghani #1, as soon as I can. The males I’m keeping are in Flowering. The females are staying in Veg until the males start growing full size buds. Every one is looking really good. :grinning:

4 Likes

Cobra mate, that would’ve probably germed ok without all that process , the seed was only about 18 months old and stored in a ‘safe’ - in a cold cupboard …
So maybe all the steps you took were not needed .?!
Sorry to hear it died mate ,better daze ahead eh.
Talk again soon bro…
Gaz

2 Likes

Truthfully, @Gaz29, I was using it for a practice run for germing old seeds. When I looked over messages from you, I didn’t see anything mentioning how old it was, just that you’d gotten it from someone else. I thought it’d make an excellent trial run.

This seed isn’t the only one to have died recently, example my mis-fated the Black x Champagne above so I expect it was something I did during my low period, or maybe something I didn’t notice at that time. I have a grow of Divyders running to prove out to myself that autos grow bigger and fatter if started in big pots. They haven’t died, but they are skimpy as hell. I’ll be catching them up soon in my Cradle to Grave thread very soon.

4 Likes

No Cobra , i bought that one (£14.99 for the single seed.), but no biggie mate, im just getting my daughter ready for school :school:just now …

You should get your self some mephisto or fastbuds autos and then you’ll see what auto’s can grow to and be really potent.
I’ll give you a wee list of autos iv ran that equals or betters mostly everything else iv grown:smoked etc.

Anyway I’ll talk to you later my friend …
Gaz

My grow elsewhere :point_up:t3:

My tent :camping::arrow_right:

All clones ‘in here ‘except the top right :arrow_upper_right:

Take it easy @Cobra50 (edit) and when i use your pollen I’ll let you know how it goes :+1:.
Gaz
Ps. ( i Thought i was in a pm with you lol … !)

6 Likes

I’m sorry, @Gaz29, I don’t know why I thought you had gotten it in a trade. I’m not sure why that one, all 4 of my The Black x Champagne and one of my Rogue Ones dampened off. :disappointed: The 4 remaining Rogue Ones are doing great though. I’ll be posting about them in my Cradle to Grave thread next.

Now on to my G13 x Afghani #1 from brother @Scissor-Hanz.

5 Likes

With a lot of effort, I finally was able to push Hyde’s impending of departure out of my mind while I was in my grows. With this resolution, also came a promise to myself to leave the grows if I couldn’t get it out of my mind. This promise was to ensure I didn’t do something wrong to my plants as well as being sure I documented it all. :wink:

The next grow became @Scissor-Hanz 13 x Afghani #1. I chose these because @Scissor-Hanz ave me about 20 seeds and I felt comforted by the fact I had some in reserve in case I effed up yet another grow. I was having a difficult time deciding what would be next and the volume of seeds made the decision for me. Not that it makes me sad to grow out some 100% indicas. :wink:

These seeds were absolutely awesome!

01-14-19
I started by cleaning 8 G13 x Afghani #1 seeds. This time, I used 3% H2O2 straight out of the bottle.

I shook vigorously for 1 minute then agitated occasionally for 15 minutes.

I made another GBomb today, using a 500ml Erlenmeyer flask, a size 7 rubber stopper, and about 3.5" of aquarium bubble tubing. I never like the roughness of both the canning jar and the air stones because the seeds do sprout in there and I don’t like putting the sprouts at risk. I may be overly cautious, but I’d rather err on the safe side.

I put my 8 clean G13 x Afghani #1 seeds in the flask with 350ml of my std GBomb solution. While I’ve upgraded the container and bubble maker, at this point, I am still using the non-adjustable, 2 LPM air pump. Both outputs combine to make a single line out.

01-15-19
This photo was taken at the 22 hour mark. If you view the image at full size, you can see that 2 of the 3 seeds visible are sprouted.

In actuality, 6 of the 8 seeds were already popped.

These 6 seeds got moved between paper towels and ceramic plates. I wet the towels with my Plantwater. The remaining 2 seeds were returned to the freshly cleaned flask with 350ml of fresh solution.

01-16-19
A scant 10 hours later, I all 8 were ready to plant

so I did.

Close inspection will reveal that P144, P150, and P151 are the only ones planted in straight coco. The other 5 were planted in coco with a pocket of Happy Frog soil in the middle.

01-17-19
I’ve said it before, and it deserves to be said again, these are really excellent seeds! In only 27 more hours, every single seed is above ground. They must’ve had a long time to mature, because they really wanted out of their shells.

01-31-19
This photo is from 17 days after germination. It is interesting to note the size difference between the all coco plants in the front row, and the one that got their start in the Happy Frog soil pocket in the back row.

02-07-19
A week later, the growth rate difference is still obvious.

02-15-19
The growth rate (between the ones in straight coco and those in tyhe Happy Frog) is catching up.

02-22-19
Finally, the 3 plants started in plain coco look the same as the other, albeit a little smaller height-wise

02-24-19
Sex has become naked eye visible starting with P145, the last to become visible to the unaided eye (P151) was on 02-27-19. On that day, I moved P147 and P148 to Flowering because they were the tallest males, and disposed of P144 and P150 as they were the smallest.

03-03-19
This is the latest photo I have of my G13 x Afghani #1 family. The females are still in Veg, waiting for the males to get 10 days ahead in Flowering.

And the boys got moved to the Maleroom.

I am very happy with the way this grow has gone so far. :sunglasses:

1st Edit Saved before uploading the last 2 photos.

11 Likes