Growing the Purple Widow: A High Stress/High Yield Training Program

Great recap Grouchy! Your going to frame that money shot, right??
Beautiful job!

2 Likes

Pssst, check this shit out!
The master grower who developed the training method I used in this grow, just produced a sweet 3D model of the plant structure I was shooting for in this grow.

(reproduced with permission, 1st posted on GrowWeedEasy.com)

Scroll up and see if you can see that basic structure in the pics?

Anyways, I thought it was cool and so here tis.

@Gpaw, @MrWizard, @GMan, @MWgrower, @G-paS, @ShiskaberrySavior

14 Likes

That’s cool, it definitely makes the structure really clear. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Tagging along brothers…
Thank you for your time and effort and also convey my thanks to your friend too​:heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for share your grow with us.
congrats

2 Likes

Was struggling hard to understand that picture for at least half an hour until I realized its the top view of the plant LMAO…
Now that’s out if the way, I’ll keep on reading further…

3 Likes

Ditto this @GrouchyOldMan
I now understand the lights better…

Also, the app you recommended is awesome…
Gonna be using that a lot…
Final edit: finished reading (was busy day lol)…
It was very helpful, definitely learned more than I hoped for and I enjoyed every second of reading g it…
Hopefully I’ll get a chance to try it…

4 Likes

Hi @GMan, I just noticed that I’d never gotten back on your question.

I think the best answer is that this method really benefits from a 6-8 week veg period with photo period seeds. The real magic is the vigorous growth after all the training is done. That is what sets things up for flowering. So, if your expectation is a six to eight week veg, then the training fits right into the program.

I hope that makes sense.
-Grouchy
PS, I haven’t tried this with an AutoFlower, but I’m gonna…

3 Likes

I have an ILGM auto with a purple pheno going right now, I’m in love with it, big yielder too! I also did heavy defoliation and HST on her.

2 Likes

Hi @Reefer,
Good luck and happy growing. Regale us with a post and some pictures!

I have never been burned by ILGM. Their seeds always pop, their “Fems” are actually female, their Autos, actually “Auto,” and their genetics match the description.

-Grouchy

2 Likes

Here she is, the plant she’s invading (lower right and all around) next to her is a different phenotype that seems to be more sativa leaning? Same nutes, same light, popped at the same time. One was topped, the monster was topped twice.

10 Likes

The Big Reveal…
Now that he has joined the fun here on OG I am pleased to introduce @BU2B as my dear friend, skilled grower and the developer of “BU2B’s Pound Per Plant” training method that I used for the Purple Widow.

Check out his first try with autoflowers here:

Automatic Writing

5 Likes

Hey @GrouchyOldMan,

Started this months ago, but just finished it.Great thread, tons of good info, and that purple widow was a pretty girl!

I had observed the “final push” myself, but having you put a name to it really reinforces what I have observed. Now I will be on the lookout for this “amber dawn” too. Though honestly harvest window is usually a week or so for me, and harvest day is determined by available free time, more than plant condition.

Thanks for putting this up here at OG!

:clap:
:robot:

3 Likes

@Natea
OK. This is a very good tutorial for this method. You will be surprised at how well this form will produce and this is a great explanation of not only how to plan your cuts but why.

1 Like

Hey thanks for thinking of me, time to delve in and take notes!

2 Likes

My advice is just relax and have fun. These plants are survivors. They can take a lot of manipulation and not loose a step.
In truth it’s kind of odd but a stem that has had damage (bending to the point where the plants fibers are loosened at that spot) will grow back thicker and strong. There are some that will intentionally go up the stem and pop the fibers with a twist about every couple of inches. That produces a lot of knots and a thicker stem. Supposedly it allows for more flow of moisture and with that nutrition. I’ve experimented with two clone sisters. I did approximately the same training on both but one of them I twisted the stems, poked holes in the stems… I mean I abused her actually more than I had planned. She produced about 20% more bud than the one I pampered.
So just relax. You may find this to be a great, fun experiment that you will make part of your style.
:wink:
Good growing my friend.
:cowboy_hat_face:
:pray:t5:

6 Likes

That is excellent advice @MoBilly. :+1: :+1:

Especially true if you are working with a plant like Johnny’s Frankie that seems to tolerate all kinds of training really well.

It may sound arcane, but I honestly feel as though the plant is constantly letting me know what level of training it will tolerate. Esp true in defoliation; snip a little, listen a little. Repeat. Lol

-Grouchy

4 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan thanks for the write up! I’m very interested in trying this. Do you have any links for more reading I’d love to study more!

3 Likes

As it turns out, the weed wizard who thought up this training method is right here on OG, @BU2B!

He used his technique on autoflowers successfully in this grow log:

Automatic Writing

And he’s just setting up for a really tricky new grow. All of his work is well worth reading.

Regards,
-Grouchy

5 Likes

Just finished the thread, very instructive! A SCROG without being limited by height, good way to maximize harvest per plant.

I can see the benefit where laws limits plant numbers. If you can only grow 6, you could have 2 mothers, 2 in veg being trained and 2 in flower, and still have big yield every 4 months.

Now that’s well documented on OG, well done :slight_smile:

2 Likes