Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

plus what you would save on the nutrients. :money_mouth_face:

6 Likes

well not much cause im using MC and a kilo of that takes me years but yeah

5 Likes

Seems lots of growers have issues with poor starts in canna coco. A commercial grower told me he had the same and to ditch the canna so this time around iā€™m doing a wee test. Got one in canna and one in plagron coco and no surprise it was the healthier plant from the start. As usual the one in canna came good once it was fully rooted but itā€™ll be the last time i use canna coco. I can get plagron (which also contains mykos) delivered for Ā£14 per 50l bag while the canna stuff is around Ā£19. Iā€™d also consider biobizz coco mix which is also cheaper and apparently better than canna.

Good luck with the pro-mix though, hope it works out but i recon youā€™ll probably need to start additional feeding after about 4wks. Healthy plants growing under leds usually have a big appetite eh

7 Likes

well my start was purely related to me over watering with half preused coco so no fault to canna for that was all me.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve not experienced any issues in the last few years starting seeds in Canna myself, although I certainly have with cheaper brands that I didnā€™t rinse well enough.

Having said that, I tried ā€œCoco Blissā€ this time, just so that I could compare I guess.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had plenty go well enough in canna, some a bit pale for a week or 2 and a few that struggled at first. The one in the canna this time developed some mild leaf spots after transplanting into itā€™s finishing pot. Slightly increasing the cal/mag sorted that but the other plant in plagron got fed from the same mix and had no issues. Itā€™s been very healthy so far and is looking lovely with less than 3wks to go now. The one in canna coco is looking pretty dam good too now but i recon it would have done even better in the plagron stuff.

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder what is causing those differences.

3 Likes

Day 25/19

Moving along, culled a couple plants to make room im gonna still have to cull 2 more when the time comes, also plants didnā€™t like having there nutriment water starting in the 5.7 range as was getting a lot of what looked like calcium leaf spotting and necrosis spots so bumped the pH up to 6.1-6.2 to see and yeah the issues went away so ill have to play with starting pHā€™s to see where that happy point is.

As for the promix plants, they are moseying along on there water only diet and doing fine, the littlest one has been off water for 2 days just cause it was over saturated a little. and stopped spraying the one plant just to allow it to grow as it looks a little hampered, so we will see im not expecting anything though and may go back to spraying in a day or two.

19 Likes

Which ones would you say finish the fastest? Iā€™m tempted to try some outdoors and see what climate change has to offer, but the quicker the better the chances. Thanks again for sharing! :seedling::seedling::seedling:

3 Likes

Honestly no idea as I havenā€™t run the new ones to completion, but indoors they would all be in that 8-10week range, if anything the cookie devils have typically been relatively quick but they wonā€™t bulk as much as a strain that goes 1.5-2weeks longerā€¦ Could try a sampling of them though, and see what does best, there is a downside to quick autos and growing outdoors in that you have to give them a good start and if they have issues they canā€™t shrug it off as easily as a longer variety and why most seedbanks who market outdoor autos are typically in the 10-13week time frame.

7 Likes

Good point. I was thinking about a small guerilla test grow, so the start (and the rest) might be a bit rough. :wink: I really donā€™t know if they would survive in my area (thinking of thieves mainly), but only one way to find out.

4 Likes

Day 28/22

Couple were culled for space reasons, right side tops were flopped a couple days ago and a little bit of lower defoliation happened, still some issues with nutrients but gonna run on the low side EC wise on the next fill just to see.

Left side promix plants got spread out the added space may be causing some of them to get too much light as they are doing the droopy thing a couple hrs before lights out, but changed the watering last night to be a bit more and equal to the other plants, and one res is Running un pH tap water which sits in the 7.4 range, so im just gonna watch and see.

Two weeks left till i decide if these are going out on the deck for a week or notā€¦

18 Likes

Whats the dimensions of this box?
Over all idea of price for it?
Did you build your own lights?

That shit is legit!!! fucking visually pleasing, why would anyone ever want a grow tent in comparison to this.

3 Likes

Most of those details are in the first post of this thread or my past closet chronicle thread.

Quick run down though just over 3sqft a side, about 20-22" of usable height from pot tops to lights, yes built my own lights which are bridgelux eb2ā€™s in the 280mm length 10 per side mounted to an old aluminum sign that was split and cut down and driven by xlg-100 drivers pulling 100w each from the wall currently, and basic auto watering setups with some 92mm pc fans for circulation and all exhausted by a way overspeced ac infinity t6 through a carbon filter. Probably all said and done if i wanted to remake it would be in the $600-700ish CND range thats including the panelsā€¦ and grow tents are easy and cheaper if i had the space or the room to run some i would this was just custom built so i could fit it to my space and also be stealth about it and still have 1/2 to 2/3rds of a closet still left to normal closet duties.

Works for me for now and the last while. :wink:

11 Likes

Impressive for sure. From seed to harvest, thatā€™s one crisp and clean environment. :100:

6 Likes

Day 30/24

Mid week update some issues showed up or at least became more observable, the right side there is what looks to be some calcium deficiencies going on, my guess is i locked it out due to too low of pH on the feed water.

Issue stems from me switching over to a higher quality pH meter vs my regular drops as of more recently and i have been using that issue though was my drops were decently off what they should read so i was trying my feed at the pH levels that are supposed ā€œgoodā€ levels and what i thought i was feeding at but issues, so i bumped up my pH to 6.5 which when testing my drops puts it in the color range that plants were previously decently happy with, just goes to show me that i forgot that watching what the plants are doing comes first and foremost not arbitrarily feeding them a certain set a values.

As for the left side a partial sequence of events with a hypothesis, was getting some droopy droopy-ness with some plants a good couple hrs before light out so was wondering if i may of been running into watering issues whether over/underwatered, so gave them an extra watering to saturate them but turned off my timers over night so they wouldnt get extra soaked, turned them back on mid day, day or two later plants were starting to go light color wise on the bottom i figured i may be hitting the end of latent nutrients in the promix, so gave them a light feed watering of some MC and held off a watering to counter that but they have become a bit more yellow and the pots are heavyā€¦ So im thinking i may of been on the over watered side all along and was locking out stuff and causing issues that way, so turned off the watering and will wait a couple days till the pots feel light enough to water again.

Joys of learning, but yeah whats happening or my guess on it anyways.

17 Likes

Day 34

So the promix plants hit a wall, looks like for my grow it was only able to keep feed up for 4 weeks and also due to the overwatering issues that just compounded things, there was no point in me rebuilding their health and keeping the plants as im taking off in a week to go visit family for a bit, so they got the chop, root balls pointed to over watering with denser roots many being on the outside and top of the pot.

As for the right side its moving along and the higher starting pH has stopped any issues from progressing more, the couple timed late CS sprayed plant i just said whatever to and stopped spraying is actually throwing some pollen sacs now, they wont be ready before i leave though, so may just throw it in a window or something or just take it as more experience. As for the rest two of them i may try keeping them going while im away either throwing them on the deck or giving them a reservoir each and lettingā€™s them run, but the black/purple darkdevil will probably go.

Anyways here the update pic.

20 Likes

This morning at day 37

Had removed two of the plants as the one wasnā€™t gonna be producing pollen in time and the dark devil was lack luster for me.

Which leaves it to two left, i ended up defoliating them a bit in the evening with the thought of lesser transpiration for week+ long absence will allow less water consumption even if i end up throwing them into a window or notā€¦

Anyways will be a new start when i get back with actual plans to finish but till thenā€¦

Also im sure you are all tired of me leading everyone along before what seems like my ā€œobsessiveā€ plant cullings, but really its just learning and im stocked up anyways.

Im liking the smell and structure on these Poisoned Rose Cookie Devils, so iā€™ll definitely be starting more in a week and a bit.

22 Likes

I think you are doing exactly what is required to move forward. Thank you from those (like me) who are interested in reading about your trials and progression :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah even though id like to grow out all the plants i start to truly see them to the end, really i only have so much space and time or the situation dictates otherwise, saying that they were chopped tonight but did trim the buds instead of composting them and they will end up air drying while im gone and ill try getting some resin off of them in the end, im not expectation much with being so early but hey donā€™t know till you try.

Also post 600ā€¦

12 Likes