Guerrila Outdoor Grow in Portugal

Yeah the short spikes made me assume hedgehog rather than porcupine but you’d only really tell by a closer inspection if there was a paw or something left.

1 Like

yeah guys I think it’s an hedgehog, there are many in this area, I just rarely see them, usually when I see them they are dead in the road, they like to go there during the night because the road is hot, and then they are ran over by a car. For the plants, I already added the slugs’ poison, it’s the blue stuff in the pic.

31 degrees celsius for today, it’s getting hotter, maybe too much for the plants, especially in pots, guess I will water them slightly today, 3 days in a row watering. Usually they don’t get this luxury, but everytime I go there the soil is bone dry. Thanks for the help from everyone, really appreciated it. Let’s hope these girls survive. I don’t think the one in middle left of the pic will make it, but I trust in the others. That one has the stem too much damaged, it’s way too thin, and it’s kinda broken.
Take care guys!

8 Likes

yep,it´s a Hedgehog…i don´t think,there are porkupine or other “spikes wearing” animals in Portugal

wrapping some copper-wire around your pots,that should keep them fuckers away and you can avoid the snail poison.

2 Likes

Better put the poison around the pots, not inside them, just in case they release something or not to find a dead sludge decomposing under the sun and contamining the soil with corporal fluids :nauseated_face:. Do they have shade along the day? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah you are right, I will put the poison outside the pots, I don’t want to do even worst than those slugs did. They only have shade during the morning, then it’s sun all day. Hope they don’t cook. For the copper part, I don’t have any copper wire at home, I think. Gotta search for it but I doubt. I don’t want any problems with copper thieves, there are many here and they may end up stealing more than just some copper wire :smile: :smile:

6 Likes

So guys, finally some interesting things going on… Sadly we decided to gave up on the guerrila spot I had shown you before, since it meant a lot of investment €€€ and time, and it’s already kinda late on the season so I don’t want to have all that effort during these hard times. We had to find another spot, preferably a safe one, and the only way to achieve that was to get our feet wet. So we started scouting some streams in the area, and I think we found some nice spots and with plenty of water for them. Idk if it will be too much… Still tried to get the plants a little bit above the water level. Some pics for you.

Chilling out in the river with a tiger jack

Beat my outdoor hydroponics :smile: :smile: :smile:

And for last in the river trip, we have the transplanted plants. I don’t call them girls because we don’t know yet…

I hope it’s high enough to avoid drowning them. We had to clean that spot since everything there was full of other plants. I hope that’s a good sign.
Now the other spot, the auto spot. There will be 12 fem autos (I hope they all germ) 5 moby dick auto, 4 amnesia haze auto, 3 northern lights auto. For this, we got some nice soil mix. We mixed compost, biobizz allmix, perlite and horse manure.

This spot is again on the mountain, as we like. So they are always high.

And some are already going down, hope they get up fast. This time we marked the strains so no more unknowns.

And for last, a seedling with 3 cotydelons, never happened to me, did this happen to you ever before?
Not sure if this is a common thing.

So guys hope everything is going well with you, I wish you the best. Stay healthy.

9 Likes

Looking good @SpikPT plant damage is from some leaf chewer IMO probably best to get the potted plants in the ground as soon as possible make sure you cover up the dig areas with chopped vegetation will help with water evaporation and less likely to be discovered again animals always seem to discover areas of newly dug soil they usually smell it before the see it . Good luck brother!

4 Likes

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates but I’ve been avoiding going to the spot, since the plants have everything they need and I can’t do much for them. Probably going to there next week to some transplant action, to add some more strains and diversity to the area. For now, I’ve been only taking care of some seedlings, that went through a strong heat wave that hit portugal last week, we got temps of 37ºCelsius and I had to keep them inside to avoid cooking them with the heat, so some of them got a little bit too leggy for my taste, and now one of them got sick with a problem that already killed 2 of my older plants.
It affects the lower part of the stem, it kinda thins the stem, and makes it too weak to support the plant and it just falls. Pics are way better than words to describe the problem so

Everyone is invited to give a guess, maybe I’m still able to save it because it seems healthy other than this stem problem.
I really don’t know what happened because I never have problems with seedlings, trouble only starts after they go to outdoor, but this ones also got some more problems, like burnt leaf tip,
brown/yellowish spots in the leaves,

and both hindu kush got some yellow in the edges, all around the leaf, since the beginning, but they seem healthy, so I think they will survive, only really the first one seems in a more severe situation.

and for last a group pic with 2 maui sunshine, 2 tiger jack, 2 nepali temple and 2 hindu kush, all from og.

I hope next week I will have some more updates to show, and hope everything is fine with you all.
Take care guys, we’re already winning, stay strong.

4 Likes

Had something similar on one of my plants. I’m doing dwc though. When I pulled it out the roots looked horrible. Tried to trim them back, 20200519_181102|375x500 she lasted a month and I finally just had to trash it.

2 Likes

Maybe I should let it dry more? Lack of oxygen may be the problem, but I don’t understand why it only happened to that specific one. One time a guy at the growshop told me the plants are like humans, some are already born with problems, maybe that’s the case. The only problem is that I want to transplant them all at the same time, and I guess germinating another one to replace it, would delay things way too much.

Don’t think I uploaded photo right.Sorry for that.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not to sure, I was thinking my oxygen or disease for mine too. Hopefully someone knows.

1 Like

I decided to take some more pics, and I really think it’s lack of oxygen and that’s what’s fucking up their roots.

I read somewhere heat and water can really stress a plant, maybe the heat also had an hand in this.
I will let them dry and I hope they are still able to recover.

3 Likes

@SpikPT Great places you’ve found! Regarding seedlings, water and high temperatures cook the roots. I remember Shadey putting only half soil in the solo cups so if they become leggy put more soil in them, the covered stem produces more roots. Looks like overwatering.Try to water them slightly with a spray and better a shady place with cooler temperatures.

@BubbaRay Looks like root rot. Do you have an air stone? It oxygenates and moves the water. Dit you treat the clay balls before using them? Did you leave an air space between the clay and the water?

2 Likes

Hey @SpikPT it appears that your plants are suffering from damping off disease your mix needs much more aeration from what I’m seeing it’s a fungus that takes hold from being to wet and it basically rots right at the soil level and flops over dead .

5 Likes

Great eye! Knock off some of that mix and lighten it up a bit would hate to see your plants succumb to damping off

1 Like

Ok @George some still have a little space to add more soil, so I will try to do it.
Thanks for the answer @Tinytuttle the problem is that I don’t have aeration and I’m using only compost atm, idk what you would recommend to do, due to the corona virus situation I wasn’t able to get some biobizz soil so I kinda had to improvise.

2 Likes

Try some sand to get better drainage and help with aeration for a good substitute.

3 Likes

In my area I only have clayish soil, but I can go to the beach and pick up some sand. Probably have to water it well, right, to clean it? Now I kinda understand why this never happened to me, because I usually use a good soil mix so I don’t have problems at this early stage… Do you think it’s still possible to win against the fungus at this stage?

1 Like

It’s hard to say at this point but let the top of the soil dry out as soon as possible if it’s getting really thin it may a bit late keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

2 Likes