Gumbert's First Grow Log -- FRANKENSTEIN

Morning everybody, I am at about 60 percent…

4 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re still a bit under the weather…take it easy again today @Gumbert.

1 Like

Hey Gumbo!
How’s things going man?
Hope your plants are doing well.

1 Like

As far as I can tell they are doing much better than me. Stomach virus’s really suck.

I moved them in their new pot back to the pantry until I can build some sort of lighting for the greenhouse in order to keep them in veg.

I also need to find a good tutorial on the cloning process. Everything from identifying good candidates and where to make the cuts. If you have one that you have used and know it works please pass it on.

I am operating at about 60 percent today, tomorrow I will post some pics of the Frankie Sisters on day 4 after transplant.

2 Likes

good morning @Gumbert and OG!

have a great start into the week! :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good morning brother Gumbert, and all OG!

1 Like

Hey everybody, hope everyone had a good weekend, it’s time to get after it again. The Frankie Sisters are settling in to the 5 gallon pots. Pictures coming soon.

2 Likes

Molto interessante, fammi sapere la continuità del tuo progetto.

The plants don’t seem so well made. but all those crossovers you say you’ve made intrigue me a bit. But what are the seeds you have S1? Are all the varieties you crossed first generation? Do you have many seeds?

Good afternoon @Gumbert I think you will see a significant change in a few weeks after putting them in 5 gallon pots. They will be ready to flip pretty quick if you have to keep them in the pantry. Or they may outgrow your space, which I almost found out the hard way.

1 Like

@Golfnutt ,
Yeah I have been thinking about this all day and considering the time of year it is I want to keep them in veg as long as possible.

@JohnnyPotseed @Oldjoints and @BigMike55 all suggested taking clones from the sisters and let the clones go to flower while keeping the sisters in veg until that time of year when the natural flip happens. I think that is the right call.

So today I pulled the trigger on 8 new LED Lights for the greenhouse. That way I can keep them in Veg and take advantage of our free Florida sunshine. I am also adding 4 more circulation fans (for total of 6) and one additional exhaust fan for the north end of the greenhouse.

We have a plan…

How is your grow?

I have been under the weather for the last 3 days… I am so far behind reading OG, but I will get caught up this week.

More later.

G.

8 Likes

Good morning brother Gumbert, and all of OG!

2 Likes

Good morning @JohnnyPotseed @Gumbert and friends. Congratulations @Gumbert on your recent seed win. :rainbow:

2 Likes

Good morning @Gumbert !

2 Likes

Good morning @Gumbert

2 Likes

Good Morning @JohnnyPotseed , @MoBilly , @Magu ,an all OGers. Hope everybody is well. Man this stomach virus thing is bad ass…

Getting ready for spring planting and overall land prep for this growing season. This will make plenty of space in the GH for the Frankie Sisters spread their wings.

Any ideas on how many clones we can get off the 4 ladies?

JP already pointed out some that are ready now or over the next few weeks.

Also I have cloned tomato and pepper which are very easy.

Any tips or best practices for cannabis cloning?

More later today…

@BigMike55 I will try to get some pics of the ladies in their new home pot.

G.

6 Likes

I am definitely interested in the information you receive here. Also trying to learn these steps and procedures.

2 Likes

Cloning…

I am a simple guy. Some people pinch-out the main stem in order to encourage a bushier plant, but I personally prefer to cut it and make a clone from it. I like for the stem to have the top starting to leaf-out, a node below that, and then I cut maybe half-an-inch above the second node down - straight across, even cut.

Once the clone is cut from the main plant, I will return and cut it again, making an angled cut at the base - I just want a bit more exposed tissue. Dip it in clonex and place it in a rooting medium.

The plant will then send energy top two stems which will grow like the first. You can later clone those using the same steps and now will have four stems pushing upwards. Repeat and have 8 competing - and so on. People talk about having a mother plant - these are plants that stay in perpetual veg mode and they just keep on nipping off pieces for cloning.

Anyhow, that is an overview version of clones and cuttings.

EDIT - I should have also said that doing this will slow your plant down. I figure 10-14 more days of veg each time you top them. So if you are working to make a big, bushy plant, you get a side benefit of many clones, but you get to add quite a bit of time to the grow.

8 Likes

Thank you @Topdecker for the feedback. I like simple. Just so I understand, after making the angle cut and applying Clonex you just stick it in seed starting mix and keep it moist? Do you use a humidity dome?

G.

1 Like

I am sort of trying to be non-specific since I think that there are quite a few valid approaches.

That said, I personally use rockwool and a humidity dome. Since they don’t have roots and can’t take on water, I mist them at least 3 or 4 times a day and keep the humidity really high. I do plan on trying out seed starter the next time I clone - there is no point in not keeping an open mind and experimenting.

3 Likes