Hand watering coco

Yes it can be too wet

2 Likes

Another cocoholic here. :smile:

In early veg, I like to use hand feeding, and hand weight checking of the pots. I find that some will stay heavy, while others get light. I feed them accordingly, more feed for the lighter plant.

I’m also a fan of “dryback” - not to be confused with letting the coco “dry out”.
If the plant(s) start to go limp - too much dryback! Check the pot weight - don’t do that again. lol

Primarily early veg, after for sure after repotting. The number of times I dryback varies based on root development and plant vigor/drinking habits.
Root systems can/do vary from plant to plant. Some get culled if they refuse to drink.

I have successfully killed young plants with immature root systems by keeping the coco too wet. :hamburger:

Some techno babble that includes “dryback.”

I found this helpful.

6 Likes

I feed my 5 gal fabric pots (Every other day) temps between 77-81 F
RH now in flower bett 50-55
4 clip fans running everything seems ok my PH going in is 5.8 run is 5.8 it wasn’t always the case a few weeks ago run off was like 6.2 but I just kept feeding with PH @ 5.8 and finally got run off @ 5.8
You have to be careful NOT ALL coco is pre washed so I find every time I would transplant and add more fresh coco for a week or so my PH would be high.

Maybe try feeding at a lower PH say like 5.5 for a few days to lower the run-off PH and then bump it back up to 5.8 . Hope this helps.?

Ps when I was in smaller solo cups or 1 gals I had to water every day, but since numbing up I feed every other day.
But then again that’s my preference when I do it like this the every other day that I don’t feed causing them to dry slightly forces my roots to push deeper and my thinking is more and larger roots will equal bigger flowers. So good luck and I will add that @GramTorino knows his stuff!

6 Likes

I

4 Likes

Very interesting reading, thanks for sharing … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

I gave them the weak feed that I posted earlier . I didn’t realize I hadn’t emptied the bowls from the last watering so if measure the run off now it wont be accurate . But I can tell you the last couple watering’s nothing stands out as far as I know as bad . the twisting rolling and discoloration seems to be more in older leaves .

2 Likes

Normally when leaves cup is because of heat stress for having the lights too close, that way they try to keep humidity, but that normally happens in the upper level, not the old leaves. What RH do you have?

They don’t like to have wet feet, that could cause root rot. Can you post a pic of the whole plant?

2 Likes

I treat my coco/perlite grows like a slow dwc. The roots should always have nuted water available. I hand water daily until a bit of runoff.

3 Likes

Again I agree not heat stress . Lights are not to close . Temps 78 just above the plants .humidity is low . 40 at the moment .

Plants look like shit right now . Couple days ago they looked pretty happy .

2 Likes

Thanks, could be Phosphorus deficiency, try to raise humidity … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Too do you have POT LIFTERS in your saucers? Like these

I also use a 5gal homer bucket with this to vacuum out my run off works great!

I also mix up my mutes in another 5 gal bucket and use a submersible pump with plastic hose and a ball valve to feed my ladies

It makes it easier to reach the ones in the back of the tent much easier on the back! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I forgot to mention you DO NOT want your fabric pots or any pots for that matter to be sitting in run off it will give you all kinds of issues!

4 Likes

Teamwork!
I never knew I would need to attend “how to water” classes to grow weed. Lol

5 Likes

Hi @Floyd I’m going to run the ppm numbers for your recipe above.

What are you currently feeding?
How many ML of what, per 1 Gallon?

Big swings in ec or ph are stressful on the plants. I feed at 5.8ph thru 6.2. The range. Too low or high not ideal.

2 Likes

I really hate asking for help . I never liked school .lol . But if I ask , I’m listening . lol

1 Like

Yes , exact same pot lifters .

The nute ratio i posted earlier is what I gave them tonight . The last couple watering’s before that were exactly double those I use a syringe for my nutes , so there pretty accurate .

3 Likes

Ok. I’ll get back to you.

I dig these pipette dealios.

2 Likes

I’m sorry @Floyd for the laymen’s term replies I did not realize your a pretty good grower. I’m a noob still so if I offended anyone or you My apologies.
I feel dumb :joy: I just saw your October pic of the month entry, beautiful flower by the way!

3 Likes

Here’s the elemental PPM breakdown.

Other recipe breakdowns for comparison.

A generic coco recipe.
Above has a NPK Ratio of… (1 : 1.3 : 1.75)

Hope that’s of some help, and not TMI. :peace:
I started doing this breakdown BS to prevent crisis situations with Ca/Mg and K with fookin coco. :smile:

6 Likes