Hand watering coco

I’m straight coco atm… started with like 70-80pots, culled down to like 40-50 maybe? You can see my grow log here: https://overgrow.com/t/dannyterpintines-digging-for-diamonds-pheno-hunt-room/40588/62

I’d say it depends on how established your plants are. If they have all completely filled the pots with roots - you’re looking at 2x a day watering.

I do not water to run off. I am currently watering 2x a day with a wand and pump. I hand watered them before too… not fun but I’d say somewhere around 0.50-1.25L per pot, per watering.

Like GramTorino I’m at the 800-900ppm (ppmx700) range for fully established plants.

3 Likes

Your watering methods are working your plants look great @DannyTerpintine. This is one of the two I grew in coco . Watering the way I described . I was happy with the results . I’m back in soil for now .

9 Likes

Holy shit lol. This actually will make life easier for me to just water everything daily instead of having to check all the pots etc. After years of being a promix guy it just seems ‘wrong’ to water every day, but the results speak for themselves.

Coco isn’t promix…got it. It only took me 2 years to figure it out lol

2 Likes

I found watering daily plus emptying the runoff bowels and keeping a couple of pails of mixed / PHed water on hand to be a lot of work for two plants . Guess I’m getting lazy in my old age . :yawning_face:

3 Likes

I also had two other tents to tend to that had plants in soil . :grinning:

2 Likes

I was considering using coco due to the good results people get but know nothing about it and I’m familiar with soil mixes.
I tend to water a little often with nutes when growth slows down a bit as heavy watering less frequently didnt seem to help.
I’m now using Dyna Gro and following their feed chart.

3 Likes

I really like the results I’m getting from coco. I now use a shop vac to get rid of run off which makes things easier. Im thinking about automated watering down the road. I would recomend coco its really not difficult.

3 Likes

Handwater coco is nice but it works better if you cut it with perlite 50/50. Coco on its own handwatered can do strange things with nutrients and pH. It also takes the guesswork out of watering since it’s impossible to overwater if you have enough perlite. Still feels intuitive like watering soil pots.

It’s a consideration that isn’t there with small volume pots and frequent automatic irrigation, the coco doesn’t have time to affect the water in the media, because it is replaced so often and there’s less coco volume to impact nutrients and pH.

I use Dyna Gro as well, good stuff.

3 Likes

Wow 50/50 eh? Do you need to water multiple times daily?

@Floyd that’s a smart trick with the shop vac. I’ve been trying to think of how I could get the runoff out from my plants when they’re under a scrog screen…nice one!

3 Likes

This run I used Canna coco again but I added the perlite my self. I would say probably 60/40. I make sure I get plenty of run off. I have used Dyna gro in hempys with good results.

2 Likes

I cant take credit for the shop vac idea. I read about someone else using one somewhere. :smiley:

3 Likes

I also use Cana Coco, around 30% perlite and a shop vac for removing runoff. It’s works great.

3 Likes

Nope. I use bigger pots though, 5 gallon buckets. I water once a day, every other day sometimes in late flower or early flower. I could probably get away with every other day straight through but the plants would probably get a little stressed in mid flower.

I used to use pure perlite, works fine. Definitely need to water every day though. Depends on the size of the plant though, if I planted a clone in a 5 gallon bucket and just flowered it I could water it once a week, waste a bunch of space and media though.

2 Likes

I would like to add to this conversation, I run coco straight, no cut. I water my plants dtw and I make sure I get lots of run off. I grow inside of a large tub that drains into a small bucket or coffee can.
When in veg some plants only get fed every other day, the flowering plants usually tell me when to turn it up to daily feeds.
It’s all about roots and their requirements.
My vessels for growing never exceeds a 1gal pot. Mostly I use big gulp cups to finish in.
Coco is super easy, and very forgiving. Just have to remember that you’re dumping salts in it and sometimes you should lighten up on the nutes.

4 Likes

How tall do you grow them?

1 Like

2-3 ft. also depending on stretch.
Veg for a couple of months depending on space constraints. I have a nursery, a veg tent, and flower cab.
I can try and get a pic but it’s complicated. May have to split em in half

2 Likes

Thanks for joining in all you guys the info is amazing, maybe I should try the coco/perlite medium, would a side by side grow work or does coco grown plants finish earlier?

1 Like

It’s just a (mostly) inert media to hold air and water and roots, they won’t finish earlier or later than with a comparable hydroponic media.

Now, compared to soil, yes, hydroponic nutrients like you’ll use in coco tend to finish things a bit quicker.

1 Like

The plants do grow much faster compared to soil.

2 Likes

Yeah I thought that would be the case, l guess I need another tent to experiment in.

2 Likes