Harvested 2 JOTI Plants & Got ALMOST 10 Grams...Is That Good?

my biggest ones a girl! … today she goes outside, still 2 younger ones waiting on sex

10 Likes

That’s great news, @Chronickyle. It’s gonna’ be fun to watch how big she gets outside! I hope you’ll share her progress as she explodes in size.

7 Likes

Ive grown plenty of males but never had one so reluctant to give up pollen. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: lol

3 Likes

I’ll do my best, already have a hole ready as well just gotta harden her off good

3 Likes

Question @Purple-N-Hairy

HOW do you harvest your pollen? Did you go over that somewhere in the 500 posts?

Do you just find a large flat something and kinda shake em and scrape it into a pile or am I picturing something that’d be considered barbaric?

Too new to breeding to know anything but chucking pollen at females but I really want to learn

3 Likes

@TestOfOath

3 Likes

Here’s a pic from the first post…

I put that cardboard under the plants to catch the falling pollen and pods. When it’s time to harvest, I cut off a branch at a time and tap the base of the branch while holding the branch horizontally over a long piece of parchment paper (and I have a bigger piece of cardboard under that). I do this until the plant is completely stripped of all the branches, then I simply pull the cardboard base straight up to free it from the plant. I fold that cardboard a little bit and tap it clean over that parchment paper. I use a business card to get everything.

So now I have a large pile of pollen and pods. I dump that into a strainer to remove all the pods. Then I dump that pollen into an extremely fine mesh strainer to remove any organic material that isn’t pollen.

I store my pollen in plastic containers with a desiccant pack taped to the inside of the lid - and store it all in the fridge.

11 Likes

Damn man that’s a pollen tower!

2 Likes

Looks a little overloaded on one side it’s leaning !

1 Like

Lol, I have it leaning on purpose. I want the pollen to fall on to the trim bin screen with out moving the plant much. I’ve never tried collecting pollen this way before.

3 Likes

You are saving that pollen??
Thata stellar male

1 Like

I’m trying. So far I’ve barely seen any. I don’t know why, but pods that open just don’t have any pollen.
I’ve never seen this before.

1 Like

Hey @anon11359186, I can send you some Black Candyland pollen if you want it. It’s not Cookieland, but it is pollen from the father of Cookieland.

5 Likes

Once I’m done with these seed runs will take on some stud juice from candyland for multiple female crosses from few good cuts. 2021 winter project candyland I like where this is going

How long does that pollen last in fridge?

Also probably cut it with flour to get more pollen out n stretch shelf life?

1 Like

There are many myths to pollen storage. I’m not inclined to use flour; I prefer a desiccant affixed to the inside lid of the plastic container - and I have plenty of pollen.

How it was prepped and dried prior to storing is very important. You don’t want any organic matter other than pollen, and you don’t want to dry it with high temps.

If collected and stored properly, it should last a year or so.

As I said, I have some available for you. If you want it, I’m happy to send it to you - and I should be able to send it out tomorrow, which means you’ll have it on Monday. If you wait until this fall or winter, I can’t guarantee I’ll still have it.

6 Likes

Hmmm let me check my schedules

Might be a good cross to a current line of f1s to find keepers.

1 Like

Okay update time.
-Started 4 seeds
-3 good healthy plants
-1 male
-2 female

I planted one outside about a week ago and this is her.

The other I put outside last night and is still in a 1 gallon pot. But it’s a bit hangy at the moment as a big storm just gave her a beat down.

Here the one in the ground outdoors.

She was started on Jack nutes but is now in organic soil with gaia green dry amendments. She was watered in with Neptunes fish and kelp. Molasse, Epson and super thrive.

12 Likes

She’s a beauty, @Chronickyle! I’m very excited to see her really take off in her new environment. I can’t even imagine how big she’ll become, but it’s gonna be fun to watch! Thanks very much for sharing!

5 Likes

So one of my cookieland decided he could not wait to show himself. I’ve collected wat I can so far. I’m going to use the cardboard method to try to collect as much as I can from him. I still have 2 more that haven’t shown sex yet.

6 Likes

HA!! If you go back to the very first post in this thread, you’ll see that his father was exactly the same way. In fact, I jokingly referred to him like this:

So I think it’s safe to say that he takes after his father in that way!

5 Likes