Has anybody feminized seeds using Ethylene from Bananas...?

I believe that percentages become more stable over time. With thousands of seeds you’re going to average close to 50/50. If you can change those results to 80-90% regularly over thousands of seeds it would be pretty conclusive. Nothing is absolute. I kind of think the banana think it’s bunk too, but I’m interested in other people’s thoughts and experiences. I have a buddy that swears by it. He even says if he had purrs ethylene he believes he could get a 90% female rate out of regular seeds.

2 Likes

Fair point, i was wondering myself.

That is great to chat about it, maybe no one can prove it but as subject of study it really rocks…

2 Likes

reminds me of when i heard the reason men have nipples is because there was a chance they could be female. nipples form before sexual organs or gender is decided. so i like to think a seed is undecided. it may be leaning one way or the other, but i do believe it can be influenced thru environmental or other factors.

interesting theory, never heard of of banana peels producing ethylene. i imagine with a purer source of ethylene you could reverse a male to produce male “female” flowers (buds) much like a female could be reversed to produce female pollen sacs

i thought there was a product used for reversing males… i can’t remember the name now…

edit: it’s dutch master reverse. will stop male flower production. apparently it’s how they make seedless watermelons and stuff.

http://igrowhydro.com/blog/1793/dutch-master-reverse-2/

edit 2: it doesn’t reverse a male it will just stop a plant from hermie-ing so if you have known hermie genetics and spray this product it will prevent it from producing pollen sacs

I have some notes somewhere saying Higher N , higher humidity, lower temps, more blue spectrum light and fewer hours of light can influence the rate of females.

Lower levels of N and higher levels of K, lower humidity , higher temps, more red spectrum light with more light can influence more males.

Not hundred percent where I read this but pretty sure it was in “Cannabis Encyclopedia” by Jorge Cervantes.

@neogitus that was the popular opinion in the forums in the early 2000s. I followed that on my first grow. I got 3/4 males though.