High male ratio

Hey guys! i have a question.
some time ago I crossed several cuts with a very nice male I found within a pack of des*tar bx from dynasty seeds. I grew out several seeds and gave away some to people who grew them and the result is that there haven’t been a single (!) female within the last year or so. I think there was a female of one cross I did but I can’t put my thumb on it.

so does any of the seedmakers came across such a high male ratio? and I don’t feel like growing out more since it feels like kind of a waste of time.

I used the pollen on amnesia (core cut), sour diesel (unknown origin but awesome plant), Bella Ortega (cannabellaSC), to a des*tar female and a several others.

thanks for reading!

4 Likes

Grow grow grow

Peace out and be safe

1 Like

That’s a really bad ratio. In my experience it usually comes out at about 2/3rds female to 1/3 male.

Higher temp and humdity can increase the chance of females. You’re looking at about 70% humidity levels.

Stress in the environment can also cause more males

5 Likes

Its a complete roll of the dice. Any and all ratio’s happen and are common. Ive had all males, all females, and every degree in between. Herms are a different story

5 Likes

I think you were in the wrong bar

10 Likes

Grew 14, 9 males…fucked by Mother Nature I guess.

1 Like

At this point in this seemingly never ending discussion…i think we can all agree that less than desirable environmental and cultural conditions influence the ratio of male to female. And…I know we all want to believe that we provide the most perfect of conditions for our beloved plant. I know that I do…but also know that I screw up constantly. It’s this whole human condition thing:)

So rather than try to answer a question we think we already know the answer to…lets raise a couple questions that may extend the conversation and hopefully help bring us all a little closer to understanding this plant we love…and maybe ourselves?

Could it be that seed stock showing what seems like unusual m/f ratios were produced under less than favorable conditions? Or maybe a generation or two back were produced under less than favorable conditions?

What is the role of the male in any population? To limit the spread of his genetic material? Or to spread that material far and wide? Could there be factors that influence a population to lean one way or the other? Could there be genetic “switches” activated under certain conditions that influence plant sex ratios generations down the road?

The hippie shit around the campfire explanation that always made sense to me is that the females job is to thrive and produce seed…the males job is to spread pollen. The females for the most part are stationary. The males…well…we all know how that pollen can get around…for miles and miles.

So…given favorable conditions there is little environmental pressure for high male ratios. The girls have everything they need to thrive and produce seed…no reason to seek greener pastures. High female ratios.

Given poor conditions the population is under pressure to find more suitable grounds so the girls can thrive. Which by this explanation equates to more males…more pollen…greater chance of that pollen making it to a population with better conditions.

This is a complex topic with many factors at play.We have some deep thinkers here at OG…let’s hear your thoughts.

5 Likes

Its predetermined. I dont believe in environmental influence on sex of seeds. Maybe bruce jenner can chime in. Lol

5 Likes

The worst I had was a couple grows ago ended up with 5/7 male and then just turned my veg room into a male room.

You have raised some good question. Or thought provoking statements. I myself have not a hard stance on any of the male to female ratio talk that is out there. Is it environment ? Is it predetermined? I think that is a thread all alone. I think we have digress from the the real matter here. I myself would like to question @mndlss a bit fist if I may? In your original pack that you selected your male from what were the male to female ratio? Did you find a female just as good as the male? Is there any consensus on the web about the male to female ratio for that line of genetic material? And you say every cross you made produce all male across many different environments? This is definitely interesting material to research and learn about. Blessings

2 Likes

I think it is the luck of the draw. Just had 4 out of 5 show up male and the other undecided. In the same grow I have averaged about 80% females with the other strains. There is absolutely nothing different since they are all in the same tent.

Maybe there is something with the breeding, but I have a hard time believing it is in the growers control or the environment.

3 Likes

My 1st run of Sunshine Daydream got me 9 males and 2 girls. 2nd pack have me a better split. Luck of the draw

3 Likes

I just went through a whole pack of White Russian from serious seeds and every one of them was a male :skull:

3 Likes

How you liking that ssdd brother.

1 Like

If it’s a reoccurring thing with many seeds, and with several mothers, you could have a super dominant male?! Have you had that experience with a different father?

1 Like

To be honest bro I’ve preferred the crosses of ssdd … have a male I’m about to test so will see how he works out

1 Like

Is there any studies or scientific info on how environment would produce males? All the info I’ve found that isnt bro-science indicates that the sex is determined when the seed is produced.

3 Likes

Eben.on the plant world seems males all want to be players :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Def NOT Kaitlyn Jenner but I feel (like reptiles) incubation temps and other conditions after germination can determine sex. No stientific proof here, but I get higher ratio’s of males when I germ and veg in the hot summer months. No A.C. in veg room. An earlier post mentionened higher temps for females?? Somebody must have done a real study. Usually find myself culling more in the late summer/fall. IMHO

1 Like

I feel it really isn’t m or f, just a sliding scale of genes and alleles. chromosomes set ‘Most likely outcome under present conditions’, but adaptability to adjust to environment ie: hermi. is also in there…?

2 Likes