Has anyone found 'Blueberry' from seed?

That’s a plan @Cannabis

How did you come across the DJ Short Blueberry seeds?
Did they come out of a Blueberry bud (bag seed)?
DJ Short Seed package?
I’m curious how DJ was distributing his genetics back in the 80s-90s…There was no internet in the late 80s, early 90s - So he possibly had has phone number out there, and people would call, and he would use his beeper…haha…it must have been people in the know…like it wasn’t around here (New England), except for when people visited from the Pacific NorthWest, or BC Canada… I remember talking with people and discussing “connections”- let me call this phone number, and the dude with the beeper calls back, and you place your order. Also, I think there were “underground” seed catalogs too…

By the late 90’s, everything had changed - technology was moving fast, the internet hit the scene, and technology was blowing up. The weed scene was really starting to blow up too - that’s when Marc Emery’s back page mail order was the place to get beans…and Blueberry was on the menu! Send cash donation, and beans would show up in your mailbox.

Speaking of Marc Emery, I came across some Blueberry beans from a dude who has been breeding with his Marc Emery Blueberry since the 90s…I couldn’t tell you what “F” generation it is, but he has kept it going for all this time…selectively inbreeding, and crossing to other Blueberry strains along the way too…I don’t think these are DJ Short Blueberry, but rather, Marc Emery Blueberry - which I believe he used BC Blueberry…but don’t think it was DJ Short BB?. If anyone knows, please chime in.

@Alaskagrown -do you have the old Marc Emery Blueberry in your collection? Also, you need to check out FatCat Select Seeds Blueberry Smoothie - I was talking with the dudes that breed & grow it, and they told me it’s straight up Blueberry flavor. TBD - I got hooked, and purchased a pack. They’re local here in MA - out on Martha’s Vineyard.

4 Likes

FROSTY !

6 Likes

Hey @Jimdoors, how did these finish up?

I heard Mayberry is the closest thing to old school 90s BB

3 Likes

Well I miss identified the blue on blue, it was a male I collected some pollen haven’t used it yet sent some out though. I have plans on hitting a blue dream Santa Cruz cut with it. Sorry for lack of updates but my phone broke right after my boiler went but good is I have a new boiler as of today.

5 Likes

I vote @santero or @Josh_Blue Very skilled, but has a lifetime of projects ahead already, maybe he has a suggestion?.. I feel ya on the repro front, We held a Commercial Hemp license here on the farm and grew massive quantities for a few years, seed runs, processing and all - then decided to slow it down a bit… Had to wait until last summer just to be able to grow a whopping 6 mature and 6 immature recreational plants legally, I’m gonna try and run my allotment of 6 '99 Dutch Passion, from another member here, out in the greenhouse and see what happens, hopefully that Dream so many are looking for :wink: I do hope your able to make some seed, I for sure would sure love some of that old school magic too…

4 Likes

@Tomahawk

I’ve grown the Blueberry from Marc…I think it was the same as the early DJ from the same time period. Thinking it was the same seed stock but could be mistaken…?

Was a good Blueberry with amazing smells…but like most of the time was the earthy Blueberry and what I was/am looking for is not that…don’t get me wrong it’s was really good just not the pure sweet Blueberry we had here in AK at the time.

Light green, round ultra trichome covered buds that reeked and tasted like sweet blueberry all the way down to the ash! It was so good I would have smoked it even if it didn’t get me high…seriously that tasty! But luckily for us it really strong as well. :slight_smile:

So that’s been me quest for about 30 years or so.

Alaskagrown

7 Likes

if anyone would be the right person, then alaskagrown !! :ok_hand: :+1:

i will repro esko’s BB at some point (there’s sativa and indica versions),
but won’t be able to do that in the near future due to my plate being quite
full atm with the cherry-stuff :wink:

12 Likes

That’s my baby. Its my blue star s1 line. I smoked blueberry in 95 at my first Dead Show at Deer Creek. I was on the hunt ever since. Met Dj around 2014’ or 15’, bought 5 or 5 packs of all his lines and ran a big project looking for the blueberry magic. I grew out 60 blueberry males, and reversed 30 of them to judge what traits they may pass on in female form. From there I selected the top 10 males and made individual crosses to a control cut I knew very well (death star). I grew out all 10 crosses and found blue star. Blueberry pie dessert wine to the last toke of the joint. Strong euphoria and bliss. Its a 10 on the top 3 categories I breed for. 1. Effect, 2. Flavor 3. Aroma. It also happens to yield extremely high, and hash production is second to none. Dj loves my hash. Were smoking on some vanilluna and 4 blue stars hash currently and its mesmerizing.
Heres a couple pics from my last Mayberry hunt. I haven’t had the time to sort the pics yet. I just deleted 20k pics from my phone clogging up the memory.

26 Likes

You’re right, I’m loaded down. We have all those seeds in house anyways. I say pop em as soon as possible, they aren’t getting any younger. But don’t fret, nothing is lost. It’s all still here. Where could it go? Follow your heart n passion, and you will find what your looking for.

4 Likes

My blues brother, I followed that same quest. Marc got stock directly from Dj. Dj and I talked about those days recently.

I’m sure what your looking for is within the seeds you hold. I found my blueberry grail from Djs work and my work, and share it with all who would like to experience it.

Good luck on your journey. I’m here to help if needed.

12 Likes

I paid for this strain a couple years ago from a trusted source who reproduced it from his own pure seed.

1 Like

Blueberry from Dutch Passion Fem Seed (about 15 years ago). sweet blueberry smell.
This is the mother of my BlueDigiBerry line.

VG

30 Likes

I’m thinking the old school Blueberry, with that super sweet taste, must get it from the Afghani genes - I too, had come across a strain back in 1991 - it was sooo SWEET (taste), like a packet of sugar poured on the tongue! It was so unique - the strain circulated around for a couple years, but eventually disappeared. But to this day, I’ve run so many strains trying to find the “sugar on the tongue” profile. So, I’m thinking it must have been some kind of Afghani cross, or early Northern Lights, because in 1990 - high end genetics were limited to the seedbank catalog for the most part. Also, as I continue to search for this strain, others say Afghani, or an early Sweet Tooth strain may fit that profile. There’s only a couple people I’ve talked with, that have had the same experience - Sugar on the tongue - really so unique.

Even with today’s modern genetics, with sweet “candy” strains - which are nice, but fall short of the heavenly flavor of that early 90s strain… @Alaskagrown -does that sound like the Blueberry you’re looking for?

Also, anybody else out there - if you have any other info or recommendations, and have knowledge of such a strain - please speak up. If you’ve had it, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

8 Likes

@Tomahawk i know the taste and my BDB line has it in many plants, an almost overpowering sweet slightly floral taste. I think it comes from the Digiberry side (digiberry was as old blueberry type cut from the states that also has some chem/skunk hints which have carried through to some plants in the BDB line. But the sweet taste is in there and yes it is pretty unique (not even the BB mother i posted above has it even though it smells incredibly sweet)
VG

9 Likes

I need to get me some of the BlueDigiBerry! Blueberry Yum Yum !

It’s amazing how an F1 hybrid expresses a better profile than the mother or father plant - I always try to go for a hybrid over an IBL, just for that reason. The F1 usually produces a better growing structure, better vigor, and an overall a stronger plant. From my experiences, IBLs are better for breeding purposes (although there are exceptions).

8 Likes

I
Vg’s line has some great bb flavor in it too. I think you may be right with the afghan influence. Djs line was built off afghan originally. He always selected away from it in later years, dialing in the effect he loved most. Blue Star adds afghan from Death Star (sour x sensi star aka afghan). And the super sweet taste is locked in. I’m not trying to sell you, I’m pointing you toward what your looking for. I looked for 20 years before I met the man, put in the work, and found it. And I do think ibls are great for breeding and finding specific traits, while f1 outcrosses offer more vigor and potentially enhanced or added traits.

10 Likes

Thanks!
The ‘idea’ with BDB was to bring an old BB from the states together with a later BB from Europe (i think DJ worked for DP for a while? or somewhere in Amsterdam). It was a around a decade ago and it sounds a bit naive to me now lol… but it has been a successful pairing in many ways. The touch of burnt rubber/chem/skunk from the Digiberry in some phenos i have come to love too -(just a mindblowing combination of smells, sometimes like the bathroom in a nightclub lol ) - and it gives the line something to make it more than just a BB knockoff. Whether the Digiberry clone was a pure Blueberry or not is unknown, but the high is very clear/third eye/thai according to @Dank.Frank who sent be the pollen from a Digiberry bx male, and that comes through in BDB.
VG

8 Likes

All this talk about blueberry is making me want to look through some seeds I crossed with a Lemon Slush x Afghan Hash Plant girl(Budderton) and Shiskaberry 3 pollen from SHSC. We’ve only grown out 3 females of this cross but one of them was amazing. She had a wonderful sweet blueberry candy smell and a taste to match. When you smoke her the taste will linger in your mouth for a really long time. She smokes like the Shiskaberry I grew 25 years ago with a strong happy laid back stone. My buddy who I gave the seeds to grow had some pretty bad light leaks and there was some bananas on one of them but not the blueberry one. I was in love with this girl and kept stealing some outta his jars everytime I stopped by his house. Thinking I might look at some this fall and try to find another like her. This is some pics of the 3 of them. The single one is not the blueberry one but all three were nice

18 Likes

all these different blueberry lines are interesting.
I grew DJ’s 98 release and we did find some nice plants but I never found the blueberry muffin expression that caught everyone’s attention back then. I think those were released as the delta 9 collection? Breeder Steve was repping spice of life and dj short at marc emery’s store in vancouver the day I bought my first dj short and spice of life seeds. First time I ever bought seeds actually. At that time I had been growing what we all knew as the biker blueberry as it came from the hells angels affiliate production grows. It was strong astringent blueberry , so strong I had to wear a respirator when trimming those big rooms or I woud get a migraine from the smell. I’ll never know the pedigree of that particular blueberry but I was told it was an old and tightly held cut at the time. Later in the BC lowermainland a line was created called the Fraser Valley Blueberry Hashplant. Word here in BC is that it was created by the bikers in Mission BC, a well known hotbed for underground (literally) cannabis production and breeding. The actual commecial cut of the fraser valley blueberry hp is out there and I think a couple OG’s here might have it. The Coastal Blueberry began as fraser valley blueberry x Dr Atomic Blueberry Northern Lights. This cross was originally made and worked by former icmag member Rykus before he went off the radar by choice. An exceptional grower , raised by growers on the sunshine coast of BC , another hotbed of old BC lines. It is beieved by those here in BC that are connected to old BC roots that the old biker blueberry predates the DJ short blueberry (in vancouver lowermainland) but there is no way to know that considering how long DJ has been in the game.
That said, the Coastal Blueberry is not what I would consider a Blueberry knock off as it derives from deep Canadian roots and has generations of acclimating to the Canadian climate.

14 Likes