Hate towards hydro?

I have tried BioBizz in hydro before because it said on the label "for all mediums and systems " or something like that. It worked very well with one exception. I needed to empty the reservoir once per week, otherwise yucky stuff started growing in there, and the plants didn’t like it. That made it kind of a hassle or extra work when I had been used to just topping up the tank with water, waiting a bit for homogeneity, and then checking the EC, and correcting the solution by adding the missing nutrients. Organic hydroponics works nicely, but it is more work for the grower. Somebody I know well was messing with aquaponics, growing some plants on top of the system, with fish in the bottom of the system, and the plants would eat the fish waste. Obviously there was no way to dial in the nutes of fish waste to optimize growth, but organic hydroponics that produced good veggies nonetheless, and quite a nice piece for aesthetics in the back yard alone.

2 Likes

I’m talking about solids in what I call classic organics. Veggies and fruits…check out my huckleberries!
DWC is indoors.

3 Likes

Those are very nice looking plants and a nice setup. I was thinking you were talking about hydro without any medium. You got some kind of other journal post where you are setting these up and explaining these systems? You must have some nice pumps+filters, otherwise they would get clogged by junk in the runoff; is that right? Or is it only timed irrigation as opposed to nonstop pumping?? Thanks for sharing these.

2 Likes

I never really talk about my organics setup lol, just some random posts. The system is zero waste, those are giant HDPE bins with no holes in them. The giant drip system is run off a garden hose with a pressure reducer, just some basic crap you buy from the grow store. Perhaps there is some good knowledge stored in that system. I’ll do a write-up on it!

4 Likes

Very nice, I’m looking forward to it. I think at this point you must know how to get dial in the pressure just right so it gets neither underwatered or overwatered if it is zero waste with no holes. And I guess you gotta keep your eye on it, and increase the pressure at some point when they start getting bigger and drinking more. I’m interested and keen to learn more about it.

1 Like

There you go, I’ve been growing organics for a decade now, I think. I never had a bias one way or another, but when the bugs started breaking up the ground for a quick snack on some alfalfa, I was sold. Nothing turns shit ground into good soil like a dose of organic materials.

4 Likes

I think a lot of it comes down to ease of soil and fear of difficulty.
I’m on my first soil grow and it’s really fucking simple it takes very little thought. Top dress and water, that’s it vs hydro where you gotta monitor ph and adjust for drift, gotta monitor and maintain resevior temps, worry about root rot and a whole bunch of shit. I’ve gotta say if the quality on this soil grow is comparable to my hydro grows I’m probably not gonna switch back.

4 Likes

People say organics taste better. I don’t know if it’s true but that’s what lots of people say.

1 Like

I’ve grown both super soil , organic mixtures , and substrate
And I really don’t see much difference . I also used all organic fertilizer

I now do Octopots ( passive hydro wick system ) with pro mix and jacks

No issues with taste or smell

5 Likes

I think a salt based diet for plants is analogous to a ‘grey diet’ for humans.

There’s a lot more to plant nutrition than npk. (edit to add, obviously you can add trace elements to a hydro grow, jacks sells some for their mix). Hydro is just a methodology to me. From a perspective of someone who has tried many techniques and will continue to, there’s a lot of elitism in both the super soil organic no til crowd just the same as there is the hydro crowd… Thats my opinion. I think they are both missing the point but end up with results that confirm their bias (growing weed is easy sooo… lol :p)

Edited also to add I use salt fertilizers… I have 20 lb bags of jacks A/B and 20/20/20. that 20 lb bag of 20/20/20 could literally last me my lifetime growing food crops. which is frankly miraculous!

5 Likes

One thing dirt has that I don’t think super soilers touch on or think about is clay. Clay is unique in soil. It’s charged and so binds ionic metallic salts, including trace metals.

Has nothing to do with organic or not. And in hydro you have to replace this or the plant may not be able to perform biological functions. If you need magnesium to contract a muscle but you don’t have enough, your muscles will not behave. If a plant needs X to make Y terp but it’s not there, no terp. Just saying it’s a thing to think about and if you don’t think about it, you might be missing something.

3 Likes

NPK and micros who cares where they come from?

You could argue that my system is a hybrid so I get the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

Right but the obfuscated point I’m making is hydroers and super soilers don’t get that imo.

To make my point, I’m getting a ton of questions from people In my real life circle asking about growing because its legal here now. The shit people are telling me they heard from some guy is mind boggling and it’s only possible for that silliness to exist in the absence of a scientific approach. I tell people go buy potting soil from lowes and some flowering vegetable fertilizer. Don’t overthink it…

There’s room for people gettin fancy, don’t get me wrong everyone. But 99% of people growing just want to be successful, they don’t care about tweaking every detail to get perfection (subjectively).

Newcomers think there’s magic in growing, and a lot of people that grow want to believe it too (aren’t we so special yall)

1 Like

I’ll further add , and to parrot what was previously said, if you grow in X and people growing in Y talking smack make you feel any kind of way… you might want to reflect on that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is.

Define successful. Cropping some mids is probably sufficient for most. Not me.

I’m the laziest grower I know. Because I’ve learned what’s important and what isn’t.

5 Likes

There’s not anything magical about growing cannabis versus other plants is my point. If you disagree, you disagree. Thats fair.

edit: my mids is medz so im good :wink:

I would say the same thing if we were talking about potatoes.

1 Like

I don’t really understand your point? But I’m not trying to argue with you since I’m pretty sure I agree with you for the most part. And where I don’t, it’s okay lol :slight_smile:

I say screw what anyone thinks. We all have different growing systems and styles that suit our own personal needs. You do you and what fits best with your schedule comfort level.

4 Likes

More power to you sir.

1 Like