Weed not staying lit and is harsh

As the title says. My weed from this batch is having a hard time staying lit. It feels dry enough to the touch.

I’ve asked this at RIU and I just get trolls who talk about flushing even though I stated I flushed this time for 2 weeks.

I never usually flush and instead taper the feed down (usually the plant wants this anyways) and this time I tried it out. My leaves were dark purple with yellow edges at harvest.

I big leafed and hung to dry and dry trimmed just like I normally do.

I’m wondering is this caused from the lack of nutrients towards the last two weeks of flower?

I’m leaning towards yes since I’ve never had this issue before

2 Likes

it’s caused by not curing properly.

that chlorophyll is gonna be rough to smoke til it is gradually broken down through the curing process…

7 Likes

Yup if you dry the bud to fast it’ll not give it time to break down chlorophyll. The moisture is what breaks it down.

4 Likes

Since you did just about everything the same, have you considered it’s the cultivar? Have you run it before? Some plants have a lot of those volatile terpenes that tend to dissipate with the cure. Does it smell good, or like hay? How long has it been curing? I recently screwed up my cute. Ended up with a jar of crispy hay that I called “nope”. I ended up making a tincture out of it.

3 Likes

I dried for about 12-14 days I forget now.

Been in the jar for a month.

I’ve grown this strain 4 other times and never got it to smell good. This is the first it’s been buRning weirdly though

It smells good when burning, but like a little better than hay smell while in the jar.

Maybe I’m drying too long?

Possible, humidity is required to break down the chlorophyll

1 Like

Ya man, increase feed in the last 2 weeks, don’t flush out your overfed plants. That will fix it. :+1:

You can overfeed so excessively that flushing will not work. Likely the case here.

3 Likes

Vac-seal is the only way I’ve ever been able to get the smell to pop and i’ve tried a lot of different things. What I’d suggest you to do is add orange peels into your jar. The bud will rehydrate keep adding till they’re moist. Leave for 2 weeks sealed will break down chlorophyll. Then vac seal the jar, only for 30 mins to n hr. It’ll pull any extra moisture out of the bud along with excess salts. Leave the jar open after for a couple hrs. Then slowly dry out the buds till right moisture lev. It’ll smell like oranges after but will give you the best product possible at this point imo.

2 Likes

Flush all your chemicals out from your soil and roots.

Choose a chemical to flush.

I find if your weed dosent burn don’t notice you don’t have time

Uhhh I never exceeded 1.2EC on the plant and I only flushed to see if it’s improve smell.

1 Like

Sounded like it doesn’t burn right, if it won’t stay lit. Maybe they only needed 0.8?

1 Like

I can second that opinion. Sometimes bad taste is just irreversible after burning plants with nutes.

8 Likes

The previous times I grew this strain I didn’t flush them I dried them and they never got that smell back so I wanted to see if maybe flushing would improve smell with this latest grow of same strain.

It didn’t improve smell.

It wasn’t overfeed I had no tip burn and I flushed it for two weeks.

I was just hypothezing that perhaps it was the flush that is causing the bad burn.

I’m just leaning towards smell is mostly genetics. I had a shooks rum kush I grew that smelled and tasted great, just like it did while growing and I didn’t flush it. In fact I pretty much neglected it since it looked terrible and the feed got pretty high towards the end around 1.6EC.

It burned and smelled fine.

2 Likes

Gotcha.
Well all I can say is, if your feeding is bang-on (which to me is just enough in each stage of growth that they show no deficiencies) 2 weeks flushing in the final stage isn’t going to degrade the smokability. Only weed I’ve seen that won’t stay lit, either had something sprayed on it, or was salty when they harvested it.

1 Like

I grow dwc not sure if that matters.

1 Like

In my experience with trying DWC, I found it VERY easy to overfeed. You can really get the EC low with that method without negatively affecting growth.

3 Likes

Not trying to argue. What I just don’t understand is I’ve never flushed and have over a couple dozen harvests under my belt and never had this burning issue

1 Like

Just trying to help you get to the bottom of it. If you are thinking flushing made your smoke harsh and unburnable, you’re looking in the wrong place. Different strains can have different nutrient requirements, and you won’t always see tip-burn with overfed plants.

2 Likes

I’ve never experienced this from flushing plants and i also find it highly unlikely to be the case here. I have experienced this but only with weed that was overfeed and then force dried so i cant say where you went wrong if you did neither.

Some con merchants dump loads of silicon in the res a couple of days before cropping. That makes the bud very difficult to burn and it tastes horrible. I’m told they do it to increase dry weight :angry:

1 Like