Heady Bear's Den- "Choose Your Own Adventure" OG Style!

I was just looking at your thread as you posted this :bear: :+1:
Yep, I have a couple variegated spots on Alpha and Beta in addition to the mutant leaves too!
They both appear to have grown out of it, as all the new leaves are normal, healthy, and are showing 7 fingers.
All 4 really took a long time to start moving, but they’re starting to get a head of steam.

4 Likes

You know, I just sent an email to @Great_lakes_Genetics , but forgot I could tag them up here!
Any light that can be shed on the mutant/ variegated leaves showing up in the LBL x Starfighter F2’s ?
Any insight is appreciated, and this is purely out of curiosity

4 Likes

Nice thread HBA’s!!
Wish you all the best to your endeavor.
The plants look great. And yes, colder temps slow them down, a bit.
I’m not sure why the crinkle leaf, but I’ve also seen it pop up, then fade away.
Today is a bean starting day for me!!
Thank you for the helpful tips else where!!
webe

1 Like

Hey @potpotpot and others following along, I got a response from GLG via email. Here’s the content:
This is Dragboat

“I made those back in 2015 or so. I do not recall any one mentioning anything about it. I sill have the Long Bottom fighter F1 and it does not show any signs of that. There are a lot of those floating around.Here is a pick of 1. And a close up of the Long Bottom Fighter(LBL mother) it would throw a small extra leaf from the center. That was a trait of the LBL Father”
Pics:

The leaf presentation on mine is way broader than the plants I’m seeing there, so I’m not sure what genes are showing up as dominant here, but I don’t think it’s the LBL. I am seeing 9 finger leaves, and the first pic is showing 10 fingers or so, so it lends credence to @potpotpot 's idea that this is coming from the Starfighter selection.
Time will tell!

12 Likes

Well that’s pretty nifty. Both my LBF male and the bigger HF have the extra finger!

1 Like

I love when it’s possible to get input from the breeders! It’s something I’ve learned by watching other cultivators here at OG. I find, on any journey, that the path is clearer when shared with others who have taken it before.

7 Likes

Hey @potpotpot check it out:

I’ve got the center leaflet thing going on as well! That’s alpha, beta isn’t showing it yet.

Everyone else: I’ll get photos at watering time tonight. They’re coming along!

10 Likes

That’s fun to see! So at least in regards to leaf shape, the LBL seems to be coming through strong in these. I remembered to grab a pic of the male LBF with the extra finger. The variegated leaf has either fallen/been pulled off, or is so ugly I can’t tell its variegated. FWIW, I have been beating the crap out of this plant “on purpose”,so it looks ugly for a reason haha. It doesn’t want to die, I haven’t gotten it to herm yet, revegging now just for shiggles and continued stress. Already had whacky light schedule, and been fed mystery bottles of mixed nutes off the basement floor. I may have already dusted a branch on each plant…

3 Likes

The new leaf growth on my babies is coming in narrower as they mature. Leaves on laterals are coming out twisty still.

1 Like

A couple photos and I’ll be back to throw in some notes:

Here we go:
Delta is easily identifiable here as she is still quite tiny. The pattern with the deformity has seemed to be
“What the fuck am I supposed to do with these t-rex arms?! Waitwaitwaitwaitwait… lemme give it another shot. Ahhh yes, that’s what I meant to do the first time!” So basically they spend an extra week learning how to grow leaves and then start vegging. :bear::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Charlie’s seedling bag got -ahem- over watered -ahem- because sooomebooody (me) put it in the watering bowl and then wandered off, totally ignoring the fact that, for my brain, when I am no longer with a thing, that thing no longer exists. So yeah.
When the baby started drooping, I knew I had to do something, so I went ahead and up potted to the gallon airpot with a mix of coir and build a soil 3.0 mix.
I didn’t grab a before pic, but Charlie has definitely greened upand perked up as the drier medium wicks the excess moisture.
Beta has a subtle phosphorescent quality to its leaves which I think is cool. At first I thought it was some interveinal chlorosis, but when I turned the leaf it was green all the way through… just sort of shimmering from the right angle. The leaves are outstretched and loving life. Lateral branching is going to be significant on these, so I’m expecting bushes. This might be an issue, because I have plenty of head room in the flower tent, but limited floor space. 8 bushes would overgrow it for sure (at least @chronix will be proud). Will not be topping these.
And that brings us to Alpha. It has been just a little saggy looking since last week, and a couple days ago started exhibiting the hard downturned leaf tips that are a classic sign of light stress. Even though beta is eating it up, I dialed the lamp back to about 60% and raised it a couple inches. Alpha was appreciative, and the leaves have started to return to normal.
Both larger plants got a 5 minute dunk in some leaf mold water for their bottom watering. So far Jan. 9th was my room mates over water, followed by one the night of the 13th, and again tonight. Does 4 days between watering seem like too much? I’m basing it off weight, and they haven’t shown signs of drying out, but I’ve heard so much about airpots drying the soil really quickly that I was anticipating watering on alternating days. I know they’ll consume more as they get bigger, I’m just surprised by how little they need right now.
Finally, the leaves look green in the photos, but in person they are almost black-green, any more nutes in this soil or any less coir used to cut it, and the plants would be frying I think. I almost planted a cover crop, but honestly I probably would have ended up with N toxicity. As it stands, they are just very very healthy… seems like BAS knows what’s up. Next time I’ll probably increase the amount of coco in the veg ratio. I’m hoping full strength will be okay for flowering.
For the Freakers and landrace folks: What are your thoughts on reusing this soil (spent) without reamending, as a landrace sativa medium? You think it’ll still be too hot? @Upstate @Panamajock @Guitarzan
That’s all my musings for tonight… thanks for stopping by everybody!

16 Likes

Oh, I forgot about the Maui Mango Haze again!
One seed has germinated and broken ground, while the other continues hiding beneath the surface.
2 more will be planted on the 24th, and Alpha and Beta will have a couple practice clones cut before going into the flower tent toward the end of the month.

8 Likes

I’m not familiar with this soils strength, but as long as you get all the salts out of the soil it should be good to use. Probably could add some castings for N if the previous crop yellows at the end and I’d cut 50/50 with seedling mix for young sprouts to be safe. I won’t lie, reused soil can be tricky.

5 Likes

I appreciate the input for sure. I’m gonna give it a try with a couple beans and adjust as necessary (assuming the seedlings survive).
Since I’m planning on dropping landrace/heirloom genetics every third planting (about every 8 weeks), I would always basically have spent soil from the previous run of hungrier polyhybrids. I’m going to experiment, and I’ll keep you in the loop!

Posting this here for my own reference. At some point I’ll get a soil test and see how it behaves over time.

Potting Soil Ingredients:
Oly Mountain Fish Compost, BuildASoil Worm Castings, BuildASoil BIG 6 Trace Minerals with Humic Acid, Organic Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Organic New Mexico Pumice, Organic Par-Boiled Rice Hulls, Grand Mesa Colorado Volcanic Basalt, Organic Diamond K Gypsum, High P Organic Rice Bran, Montana Grow, Organic Thorvin Icelandic Kelp Meal, Organic Mustard Seed Meal, Organic 2 Row Milled Malted Barley, Organic Alfalfa Meal, BuildASoil Pre Charged Bio-char with Rootwise Mycrobe Complete

Not gonna lie, my saturated paste test comprehension is… nothing.

5 Likes

25 days since breaking ground.
Veeeery preliminary observations are indicating that alpha is a lady, and beta is gonna be dropping balls.
If so, I’ll remove beta to flower alone for a while, collect pollen, and get myself some f3’s of the LBF F2, because beta is a BEAUTY.
I poured about 250 mL each of RO water around the edge of both Charlie and Delta’s buried grow bags to encourage the roots to go hunt for moisture. Charlie is kinda light green atm, but perky, and Delta is starting to look like Alpha in terms of structure and growth.
Both MMH seedlings are up above ground, and have shed their helmets, so they’re on their way!

4 Likes

Bottom watered at noon with a splash of LABS in the dechlorinated water. I use a Boogie Blue inline filter, which does not act as a water softener, so one thing I’m watching for is too much salt in the soil mix. AZ has pretty hard water, and I haven’t had a test done.
It’s boring veg time, so here’s a shot of the tent.

New growth on alpha still coming out twisty

12 Likes

Note: BAS puts a disclaimer on their soil that it hasn’t been sterilized, in order to preserve micro life, but could also contain fungus gnats. Which this bag does. Their presence isn’t significant yet (a half dozen flew up during the watering), but obviously I wanna nip this in the bud. Since I bottom water, a put a layer of DE on the surface of Alpha and Beta, and I’ll put it on Charlie and Delta when they get their first bottom watering later on.

5 Likes

Outa likes :wink:…looking good though bro…props!

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Set up the flower tent last night, transplanted alpha into a 3 gallon smart pot and left beta in the 1 gallon airpot.
The transplant was effortless! I absolutely love the airpot, as I just peeled off the pot without inverting the plant or disturbing the roots.
I forgot to take a pic, but root structure is awesome. The pot worked just as intended, and there are hundreds and hundreds of rootlets at every perforated cone.
Thanks to @Pigeonman for showing these in action…I had seen them before, but now I’ll never grow without them. They make bottom watering a snap!

8 Likes

Planting day! I lost one MMH to damping off, so today I started 3 more.
I’m on a germination pause now, until I get a m/f count from the ones that are already up.
At 50/50 there will be 4 plants in the flower tent. I can accommodate maybe 5 or 6, but my idea of eight flowering plants in 3 gallon containers in a 2x4…
is a pipe dream. :crazy_face:
I do think I’m going to ditch the smart pots after this, and pick up a half dozen 3 gallon equivalent air pots, as I’m very happy with how they perform for my style of growing.
Alpha and Beta are doing fine, Charlie and Delta are still moving so slow!
Temps are in the low 70’s F/20’s C

5 Likes

I’m thinking our runt (Delta) may not be long for this world. It just can’t figure out this “leaf” thing! Single blades, twisty fingers, even putting out a single leaf at a time asymmetrically.
I’m gonna let it get a little bigger (maybe!), and use it for cloning practice. Maybe a cut will self correct.
Bottom watered Alpha and Beta. Beta was droopy, so I’m beginning daily watering since he is still in the 1 gallon air pot.
Alpha is thriving! Lots of fast new growth; the leaves are almost fully extended before the photosynthesis turns them from yellow to green. Alternating days watering in the 3 gallon smart pot.
Charlie and Delta are still heavy ish from the watering day before yesterday.
The surviving MaMaHaze is working out a second set of true leaves, and receiving daily bottom watering to avoid its sibling’s fate!
5 days since the flip in the flower tent.

9 Likes