Help get me off?

Dear OG,

I could use your help, and your collective expertise.

Summary: I ate ~5 grams of decarbed, dry-ice extracted keif and barely felt a thing. I was hoping for a ride to the moon. What went wrong?

The short version of what I did:

Before I get into the details of how I extracted and declared the keif, here are some of my own reasons why my rocket may have failed to launch…

1. My tolerance is too high?

2. I didn’t eat enough of it?

3. The weed I used to make the keif was not good enough?

4. The keif was improperly decarbed? This seems to be the likely reason.

Eating 5 full grams of good, properly decarbed keif (from bud, not shake) should have knocked me on my ass, right?

I have done this dry ice extraction/decarb on a number of occasions, with a couple of different strains, with similar poor results.

In each case, I took 14 grams of dried, cured, bud and did a dry ice extraction. I was easily able to extract 4-5 grams of golden keif. I would then decarb it in an oven for 40 minutes at 240F. I have no idea if these temps/times are correct but I have seen people around here post results with those numbers. I used a separate oven thermometer to be sure of my temps.

Keif tastes awful so I just put a pile of it into a scoop of peanut butter and washed it down with some water. 5 grams of keif is almost the size of a golf ball so I had to choke it down a couple of times. Yum.

A few hours later…nuthin’

Maybe it’s just me? I’m in a legal state that sells edibles. I find them to be weak as fuck. They sell 100mg packs of 10mg units, our legal limit. I have no problem eating an entire 100mg pack in a single gulp. They sell 100mg drinks. I generally drink 2 or more at a time. I get a little buzzed from this but not ripped. I haven’t tried eating more than that, I probably should.

If a couple hundred milligrams of gummy or soda gave me a little buzz, surely 5 freakin’ grams of keif should have taken me for a ride…?

Failure to get properly ripped on dispensary edibles is the reason I decided to start growing and make my own. I wanted to make rocket fuel. Dammit, I still do!

So far all I have made are what looks like huge piles of brown sugar…minus the sweet, sexy fun of real brown sugar. I’m frustrated but am still chasing the elusive dragon.

Where did I fuck up? Am I just doomed to mediocre highs because I smoke too much weed? Do I need to injest more? Do I need to change my decarb or extraction method? Do I need a new drug? Do I need to switch to a much messier, alcohol-based extraction?

Thank you if you managed to make it this far.

Help me, Obi Wan…

• Swallowing Only Burns Excess Reserves
4 Likes

If I had to guess temp was to high for to long, pretty much vaporized it all off, my volcano vaporizer was usually set at 225 if I’m not mistaken, left over smelled like popcorn

Edit just checked and it was 325, not sure now

I think there are different decarbing times for hash than buds; 40 minutes at 240F is how long you’d decarb the buds, isn’t it? Not sure how long you’d want to decarb the hash, though.

Welcome to OG @Flatbush , drop by the introduce yourself thread and meet the community when you get a chance.

1 Like

Welcome to OG Flatbush, when I do budda I decarb @ 120c for 35 mins. and it works👍

1 Like

What cultivar did you grow?

And can you describe in detail the dry ice procedure you did?

Other possibilities:

Everybody’s gut is different. There are some folks here that get consistently nothing from edibles. That response seems to be rare.

What I’ve found is I need oils in the edible for better uptake. For me that about doubles the effects.
The effects of the edible (for me) also seem to be moderated by what I have previously eaten (I haven’t pinned that down yet).

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I’ve noticed eating garlic beforehand seems to supress the effects.
Also alcohol when ingested beforehand.

3 Likes

I wanna say that has something to do with the way your liver processes things, but dont quote me, I’m not a doctor LOL. But I get virtually NOTHING from gummies, meanwhile cookies and brownies work. After a few conversations with some peeps on here, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m one of those people. I just don’t bother with gummies now… Too early on a sunday morning for me to get into an intelligent conversation on this, plus I just had a nice hit of freshly pressed rosin, so… enzymes and your liver :wink:

3 Likes

Eating 5 grams of hash should leave you destroyed.

Maybe you did the whole ball and inside temps didn’t get high enough?

Maybe it’s a CBD cultivar?

I dunno man.

I decarb at 212 for 40 minutes.

2 Likes

Many people cannot get anything from edibles it’s the way their kidneys and liver processes the chemical compounds. I know several people with this issue personally. Tried so many ways, nothing worked. Gave up, years later find out about the body not processing edibles the same way and we’ve chalked it up to that

2 Likes

Also, 5grams of Kief from 14g flower seems like a lot of “keif” (very high yeild) so maybe a lot of plant matter is making it through your sieve.

Don’t quote me but I think @ReikoX is getting 5% rosin return from flower. Flower->bubble hash->rosin.

Still, consuming 14g of flower should wreck you! IDK what the deez is.

2 Likes

I’ve had budtenders tell me this too. I haven’t ever gotten anything from edibles. I’ve tried the strongest gummies they sell, eaten half the bag, and I ended up giving the rest away. Dunno… I get plenty from smoke.

2 Likes

Indeed, it all comes down to a liver enzyme oriented issue.

3 Likes

My friend is the exact same. When she ate over 900g of distillate gummy worms on her second try and it didn’t faze her I was pretty certain lol

1 Like

Gall bladder dysfunction/removal will also inhibit edible efficacy; I’m not sure if that’s applicable, just one more piece of info.
If the issue is somewhere in the digestive tract, sublingual application can still be highly effective, but one would need to process the plant material/concentrate into a tincture.
Some great info here if you’re interested

3 Likes

I decarb when I make RSO and distilling the solvent. It runs at lower temps and for a longer period of time than what you describe when using the oven to decarb your keif, but it makes some incredibly potent product! And before I tried my own RSO, I had never experienced anything from any other edibles I ate (although this was before edibles were commercially available).

So, bottom line, I don’t have experience decarbing keif in the oven, but I did do a little digging.

This is the method described and chart that seems to be most common:

Decarbing Keif or Hash

• Preheat the oven according to the chart.
  • Sprinkle the hash or keif in a thin layer on a pyrex pie plate or ovenproof casserole dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
  • Place the sealed dish in the oven and bake according to the chart.
  • Remove the pan and let it cool slowly before removing the foil – allowing vapors to be reabsorbed into the cannabis.
Temperature Heating Mode Plant Heating Time Kief/Hash Heating Time Cannabis Oil
240F Oven 40 - 60 Minutes 30 - 40 Minutes

So it seems like you maxed out the suggested time for the temp you used, but that doesn’t mean it was too long. Or was it? :thinking: Did you break up the keif and spread it out in a thin layer?

In the future, you may want to consider making RSO. You’ll probably find it easier to achieve proper decarboxylation, and you can avoid having to do this:

1 Like

One thing that stands out to me, THC is oil and alcohol soluble, but not water soluble. I suspect you would get much higher with oil or alcohol involved.

Depends on the cultivar. But I usually get about 10-15% return on hash.

Check out the Dragon Breath Spray in that tincture thread. It’s very effective with similar effects to smoking. It hits in about 15 minutes and only lasts an hour or two.

3 Likes

Thanks for all of the great replies and ideas. I now have a few different things to consider.

For those of you that identify as heavy smokers, how would eating a 100mg pack of dispensary edibles effect you? I’m hoping I’m not one of the unlucky ones that fail to launch on edibles…hopefully it is just my technique and/or methods.

I will experiment with some alcohol or oil-based carriers next, as a few of you suggested.

Thanks again, everyone. Have a great day.